Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20231211_140640.jpg 
Views:	803 
Size:	128.3 KB 
ID:	11124
    I pre-ordered Kraut Buster so long ago I had a different career and 2 less kids who are now 4 and 5. It finally showed up today. Good lord.

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by celerystalker View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20231211_140640.jpg 
Views:	803 
Size:	128.3 KB 
ID:	11124
    I pre-ordered Kraut Buster so long ago I had a different career and 2 less kids who are now 4 and 5. It finally showed up today. Good lord.
    i had no idea any one was still making AES games

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts

I ended up going into a GameStop yesterday, and I was amazed by how many games have a "this is just like an old game that you loved, but the company that made it doesn't feel like doing anything with that property nowadays" vibe. For example, I picked up Clive 'N' Wrench (I bought a used copy, but they couldn't find a used copy so they gave me a new sealed copy instead). I also picked up Gundam Versus since I keep buying Gundam games for some bizarre reason. And Dungeon of the Endless looked cool.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts

I went to the Dallas headquarters of Half Price Books and picked up a sealed copy of Paper Beast, and I broke down and bought another sealed game called Breach & Clear: Dead Line, both for the PS4.

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Yeah Niko-sama, there's a weirdly active indie scene still. Bitmap Bureau did Xeno Crisis and Final Vendetta (but they're also on other consoles), Neo XYX came out a couple of years ago as the first tate mode vertical shooter, Hypernoid came out as an Arkanoid clone, a port of that crap puzzle game Super Bubble Pop, and a new run and gun called called Cyborg Force is up for pre-order.

Kraut Buster is pretty fun. It's very much a Metal Slug clone. Controls great, difficulty is pretty well-balanced, and the graphics are really nice with loads of cool death animations. There are some alternate stages to play for replay, a good weapon variety, and 8-way shooting unlike Metal Slug. It does not have as many cool vehicles. The stages a biton the long side, and it's only like 5 stages for a playthrough. It would habe been more fun to me with more, shorter stages, but maybe that's just a personal preference. I'll do a full write up of it soon, but I just finshed off my (stupid) Kid Klown collection this week, and am not sure what I want to blabber on about first. I have a rather silly affection for a few franchises like that, and may write up a couple of series retrospectives to see if I can drum up some conversation.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I believe LordBBH has done a big rant on the anti-dumping of homebrew/aftermarket NeoGeo carts and how that ultimately hurts the games' availability.
    Having them limited to just a small physical print run ensures few will ever play the games.
    Not too many are going to pay hundreds of dollars for a single video game, but then even among that small group willing to pay the asking price, only a hundred copies available?
    I feel like the above game was one he specifically named.
    Should at least get them digitally released or something so that all the effort gone into making the games isn't lost on something only a hundred people being able to play it.

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SparTonberry View Post
    I believe LordBBH has done a big rant on the anti-dumping of homebrew/aftermarket NeoGeo carts and how that ultimately hurts the games' availability.
    Having them limited to just a small physical print run ensures few will ever play the games.
    Not too many are going to pay hundreds of dollars for a single video game, but then even among that small group willing to pay the asking price, only a hundred copies available?
    I feel like the above game was one he specifically named.
    Should at least get them digitally released or something so that all the effort gone into making the games isn't lost on something only a hundred people being able to play it.
    I understand that perspective. I think Kraut Buster is the first game from that developer that hasn't had an inexpensive alternative. Most of their other games had Dreamcast ports, and a few got updated versions on Switch. I went the Dreamcast route on Last Hope and GunLord myself. Years ago when I pre-ordered this and the Neo Geo AES version of Xeno Crisis, I'd gotten a nice bonus and decided to splurge. Xeno Crisis is on just about every platform a person could ask for- Genesis, Dreamcast, Vita, PS4, Switch, N64, SNES, Evercade... Kraut Buster seems like one of the only Neo Geo games in the modern indie scene that's locked to the platform. I've enjoyed the game, but it doesn't honestly justify a $500 price tag and a 5 year wait. I would be willing to bet that in a year or two, they bring it to Switch, and are just giving the Neo Geo buyers some timed exclusive since just about all of us who ordered it weren't happy with the obscene wait time for a game originally slated to release in like 2017. They may as well just go ahead and release it, as it's not going to suddenly change the feeling of being burned by most people by the wait.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

That view is kind of faulty. Back when homebrew software was still somewhat new, there would always be a small print run of cartridges, then the ROM would be released publicly so as many people could play it as possible. Back when people made games for fun instead of trying to profit off the hobby. Mostly with the Atari 2600 several decades ago.

I do sort of respect this if it stays limited, making the game as a collectible for collectors rather than to keep profiting endlessly on it. That's basically the issue I have with WaterMelon and their Pier Solar game. Originally the game was created by fans of the Genesis to show off the console for having a great RPG, as they were annoyed how SNES fans kept bashing the Genesis for having far less great RPGs than the SNES. They wanted to create a console exclusive made as best as possible to show off the Genesis hardware, and originally wanted a small print run to have it special for Genesis collectors. But once the game came out they saw how profitable it could be and kept reprinting the game so it wasn't really too rare anymore, and then they ported the game to the Dreamcast and Steam as well as other platforms so it wasn't a console exclusive anymore. These other releases had improved graphics and added content, so now the Genesis version was the worst version of the game. This game was created specifically to show off the Genesis and now the Genesis has the worst version of the game. It all became about money in the end.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    I do sort of respect this if it stays limited, making the game as a collectible for collectors rather than to keep profiting endlessly on it. That's basically the issue I have with WaterMelon and their Pier Solar game. Originally the game was created by fans of the Genesis to show off the console for having a great RPG, as they were annoyed how SNES fans kept bashing the Genesis for having far less great RPGs than the SNES. They wanted to create a console exclusive made as best as possible to show off the Genesis hardware, and originally wanted a small print run to have it special for Genesis collectors. But once the game came out they saw how profitable it could be and kept reprinting the game so it wasn't really too rare anymore, and then they ported the game to the Dreamcast and Steam as well as other platforms so it wasn't a console exclusive anymore. These other releases had improved graphics and added content, so now the Genesis version was the worst version of the game. This game was created specifically to show off the Genesis and now the Genesis has the worst version of the game. It all became about money in the end.
    And one of those platforms was the OUYA for crying out loud! Yeah I remember the hype for that game. I even had the Genesis version myself but it never really clicked with me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

I see amazon was selling leftover stock for the wonderboy anniversary collection and i had a gift card to use and i bought it quickly for ps5.Raidiant Silvergun and the Castlevania Advanced collection were preorders.Last year i sold off my gba,castlevanias so buying the collection was more convenient for me.