Thread: re-capping and other restorative measures

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

I used the search function to see if someone made a thread about caps and lo and behold I made one in 2018 hehe.

so here we are now in 2020 and upon testing some capacitors I had ordered from console5.com circa 2016 I see that a number of them fall below resistance ratings. Luke from Console5.com told me the MESR-100 and its chart isnt a good reference to tell if the caps are healthy or not. I am led to believe that a meter that reads farads is the best way to determine if a cap is good or not. and I am guessing I have to desolder the cap to test whether or not it is good?

I heard someone say that they recapped an NES and it reads cartridges a lot better now. I have the BLW installed which I love to death but I notice that unless I cleaned my cartridge in the last 24 hours, it doesnt make a solid connection and I still get problems. I am hoping that a recap will solve this or at least help.

I ordered some new cap kits from Console5.com and I would really like to test them to verify that they arent old (drying/half-dead/not as fresh as one would expect) but Im looking for a proper meter and good reference charts. I was told ESR isnt a good reference to look at. the ohms were higher than what they should be on the caps I did check

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    63 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gbpxl View Post
    I am led to believe that a meter that reads farads is the best way to determine if a cap is good or not. and I am guessing I have to desolder the cap to test whether or not it is good?
    That would be correct. You only have to desolder 1 pin though. You can't read the value of a cap with just an ohm meter. You could tell if it's shorted or open maybe but your not going to get an accurate reading without a proper meter.

I wouldn't imagine capacitors that are only a few years old to be too far off though, especially if they've just been sitting somewhere not being used. They do have a tolerance value though meaning that the actual value may be off by a certain amount from what's printed on the cap. In most cases though, a precise value isn't important.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jb143 View Post
    That would be correct. You only have to desolder 1 pin though. You can't read the value of a cap with just an ohm meter. You could tell if it's shorted or open maybe but your not going to get an accurate reading without a proper meter.

I wouldn't imagine capacitors that are only a few years old to be too far off though, especially if they've just been sitting somewhere not being used. They do have a tolerance value though meaning that the actual value may be off by a certain amount from what's printed on the cap. In most cases though, a precise value isn't important.
    do you know of a good meter for this?

well after re-capping my NES doesnt even power up now. I double checked all my solder joints. only thing I could think of is that it seems like I somehow damaged the pads.

I tried uploading a photo but it failed. whatever

I was thinking of replacing 1 cap at a time, testing, etc etc but it wouldve taken a really long time since there is so much solder you have to blob on top of the board for the geounding. just desoldering it all is a very time consuming process
    Last edited by gbpxl; 09-12-2020 at 09:12 PM.