Thread: Edge reports durango to block used games!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So... if Atlus releases some cool Japanese game, and they only print a few thousand copies, which are all bought up, and I really want to play that game, my only option is an astronomically priced sealed copy?

Quote Originally Posted by TonyTheTiger View Post
    To me, it seems like a sucker bet since at the risk of pissing people off and suffering whatever consequences that can come from people being pissed (which in the digital world usually means focused attempts at piracy), the benefit of cutting off used games is unlikely to be significant enough to overcome the financial woes that are likely the result of bloated budgets. I just can't see the revenue stream growing that much if the only meaningful change is the annihilation of the used market.
    Also, whenever the media companies develop some draconian anti piracy scheme, hackers and modders always respond. I know MS did a pretty good job keeping console modding at a minimum with the 360, but I think the demand for used games is going to be a much more significant force than the average mod-chip customer in the past. Perhaps they can make mod chips that redirect the internet connectivity to some P2P thing on TOR that hosts cracked versions of whatever the game is trying to access?
    Last edited by XYXZYZ; 02-07-2013 at 03:26 PM.