Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Texas Digital Press Members Roll Call!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Please let me know if there's a meetup in Texas -- I'm in Houston quite often and would love to meet up sometime!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mezrabad View Post
    One advantage of having an expo-like event NOT in SA, Austin or Houston, but rather in Dallas, is the chance of having people from outside our state come to it .
    That's a good point, since there's a whole lot of folks here from some of those 'lesser' states up in the wild lands above Texas, like Oklahoma or Arkansas. They like to occasionally come down from the back woods and admire our electricity, paved roads, and our mullet-free haircuts.

I second the idea of turning this into a poll for which city would be preferable for a meet.

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You forgot indoor plumbing. Might have to put up graphic signs demonstrating that the toilet is not a wash basin or for drinking from.
    Mullets are distressingly common here north of Houston also...

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Insert Coin (Level 0) gamesniper's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    nonzer0 sum

I'm in College Station, but I'd be interested in meeting some other Texas collectors, and would drive, since I'm not exactly in a metropolis myself.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My mom is in El Paso. But I don't know when I'll be there. I'm in Saint Paul MN right now. If I am there and there is a gathering, I'll see if I can go. I'm willing to host at my place. We have a swimming pool and home theater at the house. And the house is up in the mountains on the west side. Only problem is nobody here may agree since I'm in the far western part of the state.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

You rang?.....

ServBot (Level 11) Iron Draggon's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dayan X View Post
    hell, all us H-Towners should all gather at D&B some night and PWN the place.
    I'm down with that!

as for Dallas, I'd really like to know why the hell everyone from outside TX thinks that Dallas is the only city in TX that they could ever possibly visit... it's as bad as all the people in Dallas who could never even be bothered to drive half an hour to the west, to Fort Worth, much less to any other city in TX... I guess when you live in the largest city in the state, (Houston) you realize that driving from the east side of Dallas to the west side of Fort Worth is the same thing as driving from the east side of Houston to the west side of Houston... really not that far to drive, unless you live in Dallas... then apparently it suddenly becomes the equivalent of a coast to coast trek like National Lampoon's Vacation... way too far to drive, because it's not in Dallas!

as for the constant road construction in Houston, it's because most people who live here are actually willing to drive places... we don't just sit here and expect the rest of the world to come to us... we go to it... although there are those people who live inside the loop who think they couldn't possibly ever venture outside the loop, except to go to the Galleria... they must be from Dallas... and God only knows how they ever managed to move here...

now with that said, I really don't have much against Dallas, except for the infamous attitude of most of its inhabitants... I have no idea what's up with that... I guess when they got their own TV show, they all thought that they were supposed to act like that, cause that's how they acted on the show...

holy shit, now I'm starting to sound like one of those people from Dallas!
    You can't run with the big dogs if you pee like a puppy!

Get BIT!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i know what you mean about those "loopies" that never go anywhere I have worked a few posts in River Oaks and the opulence of these people astounds me. Especially when I usually work in the southeast, which I refer to as "Barter Town".

I think Austin is central enough for most people to get to for a texas get together, but I'm also all for smaller city gatherings.
    "You give our position away one more time. I bleed you. Real quiet. And leave you here. Got that?"

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I live in Houston, and would like to see another expo in Texas. I went to the CGE in Dallas two years ago.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Raster View Post
    I live in Houston, and would like to see another expo in Texas. I went to the CGE in Dallas two years ago.
    Sorry you wasted the gas to get here. That Dallas show was a total washout. The guy who was supposed to bring dozens of arcade machines forgot what day it was and so didn't make it, vendors bailed out, not too many people showed up because it wasn't really advertised at all (and putting it in the far back of a home and garden type convention wasn't a good idea either-I couldn't find it at first and nearly went home) and the whole thing felt half-hearted. The show carried through to Sunday, but the place was a ghost town by then, with only the Atari Age booth still set up. Which is why the America's Videogame Expo didn't hit Dallas last year. Total disappointment all around.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Howdy y'all!

I'm in Austin now and am up for a Bomberman party or swapfest

Trying to get some time for some selling/trading on this board again.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default Dallas/Fort Worth Area

On Saturday August 25th, I'll be appearing at Lone Star Comics in Hurst, Texas, from 1-3 p.m. I’ll have copies of my book, Classic Home Video Games, 1972-1984, on hand, so feel free to come by and purchase a copy--I’ll be happy to sign it for you. Or, you can stop in and simply say hello. I’d love to see you there.

Lone Star Comics
    931 Melbourne Road
    Hurst, TX 76053
    817-595-4375

Brett Weiss

http://brettweisswords.blogspot.com/

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'd be down for a swap meet, I've got boxes of extras and heavy stuff! Tell me when and where, I'm in north Austin (by Fry's)
    It would be faster to tell you what games I don't have.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 8bitgamer View Post
    On Saturday August 25th, I'll be appearing at Lone Star Comics in Hurst, Texas, from 1-3 p.m. I’ll have copies of my book, Classic Home Video Games, 1972-1984, on hand, so feel free to come by and purchase a copy--I’ll be happy to sign it for you. Or, you can stop in and simply say hello. I’d love to see you there.

Lone Star Comics
    931 Melbourne Road
    Hurst, TX 76053
    817-595-4375

Brett Weiss

http://brettweisswords.blogspot.com/
    Damn. I didn't get off work on Saturday until 4pm. I'm planning on doing some thrifting around Hurst tomorrow, I'll try to hit Lone Star and pick up the book.

Incidentally, I believe that the store one slot down from Lone Star used to be an Atari store called Megabyte Computers. They started out during the 8-bit period all the way through to the Falcon 030, but ended up going out of business around the Jaguar era. My best friend used to work there. I always get a little sad when I drive past it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve W View Post
    Incidentally, I believe that the store one slot down from Lone Star used to be an Atari store called Megabyte Computers. They started out during the 8-bit period all the way through to the Falcon 030, but ended up going out of business around the Jaguar era. My best friend used to work there. I always get a little sad when I drive past it.
    IIRC, that would be the store I bought my 1040 STFM. Sounds like the right area, but it's been awhile. Heh, I went in their to get a replacement for my 1050 Drive, and ended up leaving with a full ST system setup.

Man is a gaming animal. He must always be trying to get the better in something or other.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Well, I went by Lone Star Comics to pick up a copy of your book, and was pretty disappointed that you hadn't left any copies there for purchase. I did pick up one of the mail order flyers, though.

By the way, Brett, it says you used to own a comic book store. Which one? I might have visited it back in the day when I was a big comic collector.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Raster View Post
    You mean VGXPO, not CGE
    Leonard Herman
    The Game Scholar
    Publisher of Historical Videogame Books
    http://www.rolentapress.com
    Phoenix 4 coming in 2014

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve W View Post
    Well, I went by Lone Star Comics to pick up a copy of your book, and was pretty disappointed that you hadn't left any copies there for purchase. I did pick up one of the mail order flyers, though.

By the way, Brett, it says you used to own a comic book store. Which one? I might have visited it back in the day when I was a big comic collector.
    Sorry there were no copies of the book at the store, Steve, but they don't officially carry it (McFarland only gives booksellers a 20% discount, so the owner of Lone Star chose not to actually carry the book. He was, however, gracious enough to let me bring my own copies).

I'll be doing another autographing at Lone Star Comics in Arlington, TX, on Sept. 8th from 1-3. The store is at 504 East Abram St., and their phone number is: 817-265-0491.

I was the co-owner of Fantastic Comics & Cards, which had a store in south Fort Worth and one in North Richland Hills.

Best,

Brett

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Houston area gamer, signing in!

Insert Coin (Level 0) The EdgeCrusher's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i live in the north houston area.

i'd be down for some halo.
    Don't these talking monkeys know that Eden has enough to go around?