Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best/Worst 3DO

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Best/Worst 3DO

I bought a 3DO and some games on eBay about a year ago. Most of the games that were part of the lot I won suck. Any good games for the 3DO system? What was the worst?

Some of the best Jaguar games have been those published by Songbird since the system's demise. Are there any 3D0 homebrews?

Mark S. Hinds
    U.S.A.

I edited the above post because I needed to correct a spelling error. Sorry.
    "We've come for your daughter Chuck"

-Beetlejuice

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well i have had my 3do fz-1 for about 10 years now and about 50 games

the really good games are shockwave shockwave operation and shockwave 2 witch is one of the best sci fi games that needs to be remade and the stroy continued.

gex is good

fighting games like super street fighter 2 turbo way of the warrior witch is funny not the best fighting but still fun ballz

killing time is a good 3d first person shooter that uses full motion video people to help you and give you clues

monster manor another good first person shooter

madden slam and jam fifa need for speed

another game that i like but lots of people hate is immercenary were you are in a digital world and have to defete the perfect one.

its very hard but has alot of hours since you start off with little life and need to fight its like an rpg

and Lucienne's Quest a true rpg hard to find

studio 3do games are really good

some bad games are

Total Eclipse icebreaker but the worst has to be War of Succession a very very bad fighting game

there are a lot of good games thats all i can thank of off the top of the head for right now
    never underestimate the power of a video game player

Now your playing with power

Genesis does what Nintendon't

Great Puma (Level 12) -hellvin-'s Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've recently been getting more and more into my 3do. I'm probably gonna go for a complete collection someday. When I lived in Florida a friend of mine had tons of systems and the 3do was one of em. I remember playing the horde, escape from monster manor and others and really enjoying the system back when it came out. While some of the games hold up horribly today, a few that I own which I really enjoy and recommend are:

Alone in the Dark
    Flashback
    Gex
    Hell
    Icebreaker
    Incredible Machine
    Road Rash
    Star Control II

There's lots more I've been wanting to try but haven't found yet. While looking through the rarity list for the 3do, I noticed one of my favorite sim games I used to play in one of my classes was released on it, Dinopark Tycoon. I never even saw a copy for it anywhere for sale on the pc at any store and it so happens the game is an R8 and apparently the rarest game for the system. Kinda sucks cause I'd love to give it a whirl again.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for the info! I have ICEBREAKER and SHOCKWAVE 2: OPERATION JUMGATE, but haven't played them yet.

Anyone here try BC RACERS on the 3DO? I loved it on the 32X (I'm one of the few people, in seems, who likes this game). The 32X version, which is a cartridge game, plays well but is grainy as is possible for any game, regardless of system.

It was developed by Core Design. I was just wondering if it looks any better on the 3DO.

Mark S. Hinds
    U.S.A.

-Beetlejuice

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I dont have bc racers but the 3do system would be the one i would get i think it has a bigger screen and isn't fuzzy and has full motion video clips and may run smoother

if you like sci fi then you will love shockwave 2 its the best of the series

if you like racing theres

off world intercepter and return fire wicth are great two player games also
    never underestimate the power of a video game player

Now your playing with power

Genesis does what Nintendon't

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    BurgerTrench

Quote Originally Posted by -hellvin-
    Star Control II
    Ironically enough, I'm playing through Star Control II again now and have given my 3DO a re-spin over the weekend.

The Star Control II replay is re-cementing that games place among the best games ever made. The story is so unbelievably good it puts most sci-fi fiction to absolute shame. It's one of the rare games where you'll be eating up the back-story just because it’s so damn intriguing to discover the motives for each of the alien races. Complex doesn't begin to describe some of the interactions.

And I completely forgot just how scary the Orz really are. Forget the Ur-Quan, I’d take 3 dozen of those freaks any day over the Orz. War makes strange bedfellows.

Top all of this wonderful story with a huge heaping of strategy, hours and hours of exploration possibilities, and an extremely fun combat system and you have yourself a game for the ages.

While I haven't played the "Ur-Quan Masters" remake, I can say that the 3DO version will play every time with no config.net/autoexec.nt manipulation. And you've got to play it on CD just to hear the Spathi's voices. I've beaten this game 3 times and I still have a dozen laugh out loud moments with some of the racial interactions.

As for the worst; Plumbers Don't Wear Ties. Hands down one of the worst "games" I've ever played. And calling it a "game" is generous. More a series of pictures with a bad acting track than an actual game.

Oh, also ran through Space Ace, some say the CD-i version is best. All I can say is the 3DO version is pretty awesome as far as I'm concerned.
    "Be proud of what we make you do." - Master Shake, SGC2C - Baffler Meal
    Blog time!
    On Facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

Default For bad I dont think anyone can really debate......

Shadow: War of Succession has to be one of the most truly worst games of all time. It is bad, the controls are bad, it just screams bad. Seriously, you have to play it .....or try to play!
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

I posted my thoughts on this awhile back when doing research for the book. I think this sums up the best/worst nicely:

http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?32396

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

even though it was ported over and released on ps1 and saturn,i believe roadrash for the 3do was the best.also,guardian war is a good rpg that you should be able to find for cheap.
    do not buy/get system repair from martin krohn aka iamnotageek.com

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Do yourself a favor and get Road Rash. Great game with an incredible soundtrack (for its time, although I still like it).

Need for Speed was a good game when I had the system...that was about 8 years ago though, so I don't know how well it'd hold up.

As for worst games, probably the many live action shooting games that were released for the system, although I did like Mad Dog McCree as a guilty pleasure. And there was this one weird anime influenced game that was released that played sort of like Dragon's Lair called Stahl or Strahl or something along those lines. I liked that game, but tread with caution, as your motives may vary.

Strawberry (Level 2) Mr.Faxanadu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Slayer is great !!!

A personal favorite of mine is digital dreamware. This is just a music player with 6 songs that plays the music to a phycedellic background that you can control. The music is absolutely amazing (for its time anyway)
    Check out HitpointZ.com to see all my items for sale!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Super Street Fighter II Turbo
    Alone in the dark
    Bust-A-Move
    Gex
    Need for Speed
    Policenauts
    Road Rash
    Return fire
    Wolfenstein 3D0
    Star Control II

I am sure there are more good games

Peach (Level 3) ghostangelofcky's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There's more good titles then you'd think

Killing Time
    Gex
    Road Rash
    Wolfenstein 3d
    Soccer Kid
    Phoenix 3
    AD&D Slayer
    Shockwave (series)
    Battle Chess

my personal favs

Stay away from Doom! Great music, but that's it, the only way that game is any good is if you have a TV 45'' or bigger

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Another thing you can do is pick 3DO from our online guide and check off the "recommended titles" checkbox in the bottom right. Voila! Instant recommendation list.

http://www.digitpress.com/DP/cmf/search.cmf

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    njiska

So far everyones giving you good advice for good 3DO games. The best games in my collection are probably GEX, Alone in the Dark, Road Rash and Wolfenstien 3DO (Best name for a port in history) but i strongly recommend you try a little game called D.

It's not a very long game but it is really fun. Personally it's one of my favorite FMV/Myst like games. It's got a great feel. Look for a copy if you can find one. You may find one cheap on ebay but if you don't you can find a new copy in the Goat Store.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default 3DO Best/Worst

A lot of good posts friends and fellow gamers! I do have the Digital Press Price Guides. Checking it reveals that I do in fact have several good games. I'll have to give them a try.

Three questions. The entry for FATTY BEAR'S BIRTHDAY SURPRISE says that it's a sequel to FATTY BEAR'S HOMO-EROTIC SEXCAPADE. 1) Contrary to the price guide, I DO want to know the surprise; 2) What console did "Sexcapade" appear on? And finally, 3) What's up with Fatty Bear?

Mark S. Hinds
    U.S.A.

-Beetlejuice

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by njiska
    So far everyones giving you good advice for good 3DO games. The best games in my collection are probably GEX, Alone in the Dark, Road Rash and Wolfenstien 3DO (Best name for a port in history) but i strongly recommend you try a little game called D.

It's not a very long game but it is really fun. Personally it's one of my favorite FMV/Myst like games. It's got a great feel. Look for a copy if you can find one. You may find one cheap on ebay but if you don't you can find a new copy in the Goat Store.
    Thanks for the plug

I was just going to suggest Guardian War and Burning Soldier as two games that others like that can be had cheaply, along with the Shockwave series. You can find all of those at the GOAT Store for $6.00 or less.

Other than that, I was really fascinated by Psychic Dective. Yes, it's an FMV game... but an FMV game done right.

The Incredible Machine is, well... Incredible. One of my favorite games, and the reason I keep the console (that, and Lost Eden which I love too, although others may disagree.)

Return Fire is great.

Need for Speed was quite cool.

PO'ed is a decent first person shooter. I guess it probably isn't that good, but it is funny enough I liked it.

Soccer Kid is a great little 2D platformer, in my opinion. Songbird did release the Jaguar port of it, but it is an official release here.

Return Fire is just great.

Quarantine is the prequel (?) to one of my favorite games ever, but it plays worth absolute crap. I guess I just wanted to voice my displeasure in it.

And avoid Jurassic Park Interactive like the plague. If you have the choice, the plague is probably more fun.

Good luck!
    Dan Loosen
    http://www.goatstore.com/ - http://www.midwestgamingclassic.com/
    ** Trying to finish up an overly complete Dreamcast collection... want to help? (Updated 5/3/10!) http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61333

Great Puma (Level 12) -hellvin-'s Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

As far as your question on wether BC Racers would look better or not, I would have to say yes. I have recently been playing Flashback and everything looks so much more sharp and fluid. The gameplay itself looks better, but MAN, are the cutscenes ever improved. Much better than the 15 or so fps grainy video of the sega cd. Stopped playing at New America though cause my 3do's sound is messed up and doesn't play right channel. =\.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Twisted was my favorite. It's time to get Twisted! Aside from some Looney Tunes thingy, it was the only game I ever played though. Some friends had it. Looking back, I feel sorry for them.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Personally, I feel that the 3DO is one of the greatest systems of all time. It is true that it doesn't have the greatest library but its good games were revolutionary at the time and are timeless today.

Some of my favourites are:
    The Need for Speed
    Road Rash
    Demolition Man
    Shockwave
    Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo
    Fifa International Soccer