Thread: Nintendo Release 3DS XL and New Mario 2 In the USA Today [Slashdot]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Lightbulb Nintendo Release 3DS XL and New Mario 2 In the USA Today [Slashdot]

Croakyvoice writes "Nintendo has today released the 3DS XL in the U.S. The console comes with features such as screens which are 90% bigger in size than the original 3DS, a much needed improvement in battery life and also the 3D effect on the console has noticeably improved. The 3DS XL is Nintendo's attempt at even moreso dominating the handheld console market over the PSVita, but also bringing back the gamers lost to the likes of Android and iOS devices. The other major 3DS news of the day is the release of New Super Mario Bros 2, a continuation of the DS game released in 2006. In Japan the game has sold over 800,000 copies since game launch and Nintendo will be hopeful to replicate that success in the U.S."

Read more of this story at Slashdot.
    I am not a real person. I am the Digital Press ServBot, in active duty, assigned to fetching various RSS feeds and posting them here. If you can suggest a better feed source please PM a moderator or admin.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Did anyone pick up a 3DS XL? I've heard good things about the way in which it displays original DS games.
    I don't want you to hate me, I want you to want to hate me - GamersUniteMagazine.com

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by RCM View Post
    Did anyone pick up a 3DS XL? I've heard good things about the way in which it displays original DS games.
    Planning on it. Probably not today but soon.

Wow, for the first time in forever I'll actually have something to sell/trade at a future NAVA meeting!

Any NAVA-goers looking for an immaculate condition Blue standard 3DS with plastic system armor and a carry case?
    Last edited by Frankie_Says_Relax; 08-20-2012 at 10:56 AM.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RCM View Post
    I picked a blue one up yesterday using the $180 Fry's price as a match at the Navy Exchange, so $180 out the door. I love it so far. I haven't played any original DS games yet.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

One of my colleagues brought his 3DS XL in today so I had the chance to try it. It's not a particularly handsome piece in comparison to my iPhone, iPad, and MacBook, but it's adequate. It feels a million times better to play in comparison to the original 3DS (I have adult-sized hands) which is very important. It doesn't feel heavy either. I tested an original DS game and thought it looked fine blown up and slightly sharper running at DS' standard resolution. When it runs in "native res" DS mode the screens are about the same size as a DS Lite/DSi, which isn't too bad.

While I've been a huge critic of 3DS I admit I am tempted to pick one up after blazing through half of Star Fox 64. However, I will continue to wait. They may never add a second analog stick, but they will surely release another revision. That eventuality along with a weak software lineup (no, I don't love all things Mario!) are the biggest issues for me.

But for what it's worth, this is progress.
    I don't want you to hate me, I want you to want to hate me - GamersUniteMagazine.com

OCP Corporate Liason Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    RAGNAR0K N ROLL
    PSN
    ROBOCOP2

I may pick one up eventually myself. I enjoy my regular 3DS but the bigger screens and overall size would be nice. Really need to see one in person before I do that though. I'm kind of holding out for the NYKO circlepad attachment for my regualr 3DS before I make any changes though. That thing looks great to me.

Also has anyone tried out NSMB2? The whole being all about collecting coins thing seems kind of silly to me honestly.
    Quote Originally Posted by bangtango View Post
    If you have trouble figuring out the meaning of "Multiplayer", "Time Trial" or "Campaign" without the manual, I probably don't want you doing my income taxes for me and I don't want you dating my daughter either.

Reticulating Splines BetaWolf47's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I want one of these, but will have to hold off for a little while since I just made a student loan payment. Even though the amount of worthwhile 3DS games are still in the single digit for me, I'd still rather play those than what's on Vita, despite Vita being a better system overall.

Was anyone else not expecting the colors to look so... pale? The blue one is practically baby blue. Really disappointed that they are uglier than the original 3DSes. Oh well, functionality over style.
    Selling gaming accessories. Click

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    dgdgagdae

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    I picked a blue one up yesterday using the $180 Fry's price as a match at the Navy Exchange, so $180 out the door. I love it so far. I haven't played any original DS games yet.
    I didn't know that Fry's was already selling them for $20 off. I was going to hold off on buying one, but I might have to jump on it now at that price.

Reticulating Splines BetaWolf47's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hey look, GameStop has a red 3DS XL + New Super Mario Bros. 2 bundle for preorder!
    http://www.gamestop.com/nintendo-3ds...-bundle/104269
    But it's the exact same price as buying it separately, and comes with nothing extra. What the heck is the point?
    Selling gaming accessories. Click

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Man, $100 is tempting trade in value on standard 3DS towards a 3DSXL at Gamestop, the only rub being that I wouldn't be able to transfer all my content (including Ambassador games) to my 3DS.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post
    Man, $100 is tempting trade in value on standard 3DS towards a 3DSXL at Gamestop, the only rub being that I wouldn't be able to transfer all my content (including Ambassador games) to my 3DS.
    That _might_ be true, but then again, I've seen some pretty cooperative people who work at GameStops. I say, go into a friendly one and ask the clerk if you could trade in your 3DS on the condition that you get to transfer your account over to the new 3DS XL. I bet if you find a good fellow he'll let you do just that. After all, the 3DS will be used... ahem, pre-owned either way, and you could use the opportunity to delete all your other account settings.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I was thinking of getting one when the price drops only to find the the current going price is already pretty damn reasonable. Don't know that I'll be getting one any time soon, but it's defiantly on my list.

needs food badly. Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Schlimtor
    PSN
    Schlimtor

I picked up a red 3DS XL along with NSMB2 on Monday, and I must say I'm having an absolute blast with NSMB2 (love all the coin-collecting). Really love the larger screens as well. I was finally able to beat the special "crown" level in Super Mario 3D Land thanks to the bigger, easier-to-see, screens. Let it be known, however, that the XL's speakers leave a bit to be desired. From what I can tell, they're only half as loud as the original 3DS and nowhere near as loud as my DSi XL. And with three kids running around in the house, good speakers are kind of essential in order to hear anything. It's not a deal-breaker by any means, but still annoying. That said, the headphone jack is a decent alternative if I really need to blast the sound, but, right now, my only issue with the new 3DS is its softer volume levels.
    "Red Warrior needs food badly."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by Red Warrior View Post
    I picked up a red 3DS XL along with NSMB2 on Monday, and I must say I'm having an absolute blast with NSMB2 (love all the coin-collecting). Really love the larger screens as well. I was finally able to beat the special "crown" level in Super Mario 3D Land thanks to the bigger, easier-to-see, screens. Let it be known, however, that the XL's speakers leave a bit to be desired. From what I can tell, they're only half as loud as the original 3DS and nowhere near as loud as my DSi XL.
    GAH, 3DS'es speakers were already dookie IMO. That's not good news. Still, won't stop me from getting an XL. Oh well, hooray for headphones.

Yo Joe! Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    ladyjaye75
    PSN
    ladyjaye75

My colleague and friend showed me his 3DS XL this morning. It is very nice and I have to say that if I were buying the 3DS now, I'd go for that one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    dgdgagdae

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post
    Where are you seeing this offer? I don't see anything at Gamestop.com. Is it something that was emailed to you? I'd take advantage of this, if they would let me transfer my content over before handing the 3DS to them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    dgdgagdae

Quote Originally Posted by dgdgagdae View Post
    Where are you seeing this offer? I don't see anything at Gamestop.com. Is it something that was emailed to you? I'd take advantage of this, if they would let me transfer my content over before handing the 3DS to them.
    Ok, I called up there and they're offering it. Not only will they let you transfer the data there, they'll even help you to do it. So I'll be getting mine tonight.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by dgdgagdae View Post
    Kinda moot now, but it was an email for Power Up Rewards members.

I'll make it easy -

$100 for 3DS
    $60 for DSiXL
    $50 for DSi
    $40 for DS Lite

Towards the purchase of a 3DSXL

Good to know that they'll do the transfer in store!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I picked a red one on launch day, It's my first 3DS and it is awesome!!!! Glad I waited to get the XL version.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    dgdgagdae

I'll be holding onto my DSi XL for DS games. The way DS games are scaled up on the 3DS XL, it just doesn't look right. It's fuzzy or something.

And the sound difference between the DSi XL and 3DS XL is huge. I really like the DSi XL speakers, and the 3DS XL speakers are worse than those on the 3DS, as someone else said.