Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Neo Geo Portable official - just not what was hoped for

Cherry (Level 1) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default New Neo Geo Portable official - just not what was hoped for

So IGN posted this article http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/03/...ming-this-year

Not quite the answer I think all the Neo Geo fans were looking for, its more of a new system to play old games? who knows though what will happen in the future.
    Currently attempting to complete my Genesis collection! Always looking for hard to find complete games! Send me a PM
    Please feel free to follow my collecting blog here! http://genesaturn.blogspot.com/

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Genesaturn View Post
    So IGN posted this article http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/03/...ming-this-year

Not quite the answer I think all the Neo Geo fans were looking for, its more of a new system to play old games? who knows though what will happen in the future.
    What I find annoying about this entire thing is that people were speculating that it was some new handheld by SNK when in fact there is zero chance of that happening. What's left of SNK has neither the will nor the financial resources to launch new hardware. All it has ever been and what was pretty clear from the vague information that surfaced a month or two ago is just another licensed handheld that plays roms. Yes, it looks kind of slick with the Neo Geo badging, but it's likely not even as good as a PSP at playing roms and it certainly is not some new platform which will see new SNK games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    TSGTheSportsGamer
    PSN
    DOAsaturn

I am cautiously optimistic. It's pretty cool that this little oddball came out of left field. I remember the days of Neo Geo being the "untouchable" console, that only the richest of the richest spoiled kids had one. You'd never see anything like it now really (I suppose you can argue against the Vita, but it's not $600). The Neo Geo is one console I've never owned and this would be an interesting little handheld to kick around and show off. That said, I wouldn't be playing it as much as my 3DS or Vita (or even iPhone probably). I can only carry around so many handhelds.

That said, release this in limited quantity at $100 (heck, they can probably go a little higher) and it'll sell out. Who knows what the specs are on this thing, though, and what kind of applications/games will be implemented.
    www.weekendroady.com - Weekend Roady!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nebagram
    PSN
    Nebagram

Wait, what?

What the fuck?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It looks cool but hopefully it's not over priced.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    TSGTheSportsGamer
    PSN
    DOAsaturn

Thing is - if they can get away with producing only a few thousand of these, they could probably get away with charging a ton. I highly doubt that 500 pounds price that's been quoted. If it goes high, it'll be $200-300. I guess if we bring back Neo Geo we bring back the prices too... though the Neo Geo Pocket was never all that expensive.

That would be unfortunate if they made this something that's notable only for its price, making it "collectible" only because it's so out of reach to the average gamer.
    www.weekendroady.com - Weekend Roady!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

What's with the odd aspect ratio? The thing IGN pictured has about a 1.65 aspect ratio (By comparison, 16:9 comes out to 1.77 and 4:3, which it seems like a NeoGeo portable should have, comes out to 1.33.

Puzzled why this doesn't have a 4:3 display on it.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The internet: Hey everyone, there's a new Neo Geo system coming out! SNK is actually producing new hardware!

Me: What?! No way!

The internet: Yeah, really! It's a handheld!
    Me: FUUUUUUUUU-

The internet: It's $800.00, And it plays old Neo Geo games you already have!

Me: Double FUUUUUUUUU-

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post
    What's with the odd aspect ratio? The thing IGN pictured has about a 1.65 aspect ratio (By comparison, 16:9 comes out to 1.77 and 4:3, which it seems like a NeoGeo portable should have, comes out to 1.33.

Puzzled why this doesn't have a 4:3 display on it.

That's the first thing that popped in my mind when I saw the pics. The screen did not look 4:3 to me.

All I want is a portable with a good D-Pad, some good buttons and a large 4:3 screen. Is that too much to ask? Apparently so, lol.

Pretzel (Level 4) Orion Pimpdaddy's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I wonder if it'll have the capability to upload more games.

Pretzel (Level 4) substantial_snake's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Insanity2546

If the controls are solid and it costs less then a hundred bucks I might pick it up.

It reminds me of all of the other emulation mini-portables that have come out in the last few years and if it feels as good as it looks it I can see it working. I don't know where a couple of sites are getting the 500 pounds number from but that seems ridiculous unless this is tailor made to emulate NeoGeo titles perfectly and even then its wayy over priced.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The only thing custom about it is the logo.
    The screen isn't even the correct aspect ratio, and that button layout is going to be terrible for almost every NeoGeo game.

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DOAsaturn View Post
    I remember the days of Neo Geo being the "untouchable" console, that only the richest of the richest spoiled kids had one. You'd never see anything like it now really
    Except for, ya know, the Neo Geo.

It's STILL a pricey beast.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    jdotaku

I used to own and loved my AES and of course the neo pocket consoles to. This thing looks great-sexiest of the portables never cared for the dual screen nintendo stuff or the big ass vita (won't fit in pocket hardly) that said it needs to be say $150 if its strictly old school (if not cheaper) and $300 tops if they can offer new titles. Why they wouldn't use this as a platform to launch some awesome new fighting games and metal slug I have no idea. and of course a card fighting game to!

I may very well buy I mean why the hell not I bought an AES and blew over 1200 bucks on it over the time I owned it. They just need at least a few good games and or a reasonable price point. I'm sure it will be rare/exclusive to (wonder how easy it will be to find in stores?)

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by otaku View Post
    I used to own and loved my AES and of course the neo pocket consoles to. This thing looks great-sexiest of the portables never cared for the dual screen nintendo stuff or the big ass vita (won't fit in pocket hardly) that said it needs to be say $150 if its strictly old school (if not cheaper) and $300 tops if they can offer new titles. Why they wouldn't use this as a platform to launch some awesome new fighting games and metal slug I have no idea. and of course a card fighting game to!

I may very well buy I mean why the hell not I bought an AES and blew over 1200 bucks on it over the time I owned it. They just need at least a few good games and or a reasonable price point. I'm sure it will be rare/exclusive to (wonder how easy it will be to find in stores?)
    I really wish everyone would do a little homework instead of projecting all sorts of false hopes onto this thing. SNK has nothing to do with this unit other than licensing some IP. Blaze which makes lots of clone systems approached them and obtained a license to essentially take the same hardware they have sold under other badging like "Sega" and licensed some roms to include with the unit. They are going to then sell the unit through Tommo which is a major distributor in the US to retail chains and through other distributors around the world. SNK has neither the financial resources nor the will to release a new platform and frankly, they can't even afford to release stuff on other platforms without assistance from other publishers. There is also no indication this will be super limited or expensive despite some speculation in one very poorly researched article. Could this be a neat little unit that might be fun to play? Sure. Is it the next generation of SNK system or something that will see original IP or sequels from SNK released in the future? No chance.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    I really wish everyone would do a little homework instead of projecting all sorts of false hopes onto this thing. SNK has nothing to do with this unit other than licensing some IP. Blaze which makes lots of clone systems approached them and obtained a license to essentially take the same hardware they have sold under other badging like "Sega" and licensed some roms to include with the unit. They are going to then sell the unit through Tommo which is a major distributor in the US to retail chains and through other distributors around the world. SNK has neither the financial resources nor the will to release a new platform and frankly, they can't even afford to release stuff on other platforms without assistance from other publishers. There is also no indication this will be super limited or expensive despite some speculation in one very poorly researched article. Could this be a neat little unit that might be fun to play? Sure. Is it the next generation of SNK system or something that will see original IP or sequels from SNK released in the future? No chance.
    Lack of research aside, most people seem to be completely ignoring the obvious likelihood that this is just a variation on Dingoo (or other similar China emulation-centric) hardware even when it's plainly explained to them.

I mean, if it turns out that this thing doesn't cost $600 give/take, instead falling somewhere below the $100 price range and if it's only as good as something like the AT GAMES SD card slot sporting Genesis portable I'd be fine with owning one.

In the meantime, Dingoo plays Neo-Geo games fine if anybody is looking to get something like this right now for less than $100.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Reticulating Splines BetaWolf47's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post
    Lack of research aside, most people seem to be completely ignoring the obvious likelihood that this is just a variation on Dingoo (or other similar China emulation-centric) hardware even when it's plainly explained to them.

I mean, if it turns out that this thing doesn't cost $600 give/take, instead falling somewhere below the $100 price range and if it's only as good as something like the AT GAMES SD card slot sporting Genesis portable I'd be fine with owning one.

In the meantime, Dingoo plays Neo-Geo games fine if anybody is looking to get something like this right now for less than $100.
    I was about to bring the Dingoo up. That Neo-Geo portable looks EXACTLY like it, which makes me wonder if the Neo-Geo portable pic is just a mockup.
    Selling gaming accessories. Click

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

Quote Originally Posted by Orion Pimpdaddy View Post
    I wonder if it'll have the capability to upload more games.
    It's got SD card support, so it's only a matter of time before somebody hacks the firmware and there you go. The possibility of playing Blazing Star or Twinkle Star Sprites on the go would be great, but an $800 price tag is just not worth it. I really hope that's a rumor. I mean, seriously, you can download all of those games on the Vita for $20. Why would anyone other than completionists go for that?

Reticulating Splines BetaWolf47's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Mitchell View Post
    It's got SD card support, so it's only a matter of time before somebody hacks the firmware and there you go. The possibility of playing Blazing Star or Twinkle Star Sprites on the go would be great, but an $800 price tag is just not worth it. I really hope that's a rumor. I mean, seriously, you can download all of those games on the Vita for $20. Why would anyone other than completionists go for that?
    The rumor goes a bit further than that. It says that they're taking the Working Designs route and making it a short print to entice collectors. I don't see the point in making it that price. If the aftermarket manufacturer can learn anything from SNK, it should be to make the controls work good and price it competitively. The same strategy worked wonders for the Neo-Geo Pocket Color.

I'd love to see an aftermarket Neo-Geo home console with the same features as the handheld, to be honest. Would be nice to have an affordable multiplayer option that can be played on the TV without being constricted to whatever SNK releases on PSN, VC, XBLA, and compilation disks. The best games never get rereleased in the US!
    Selling gaming accessories. Click

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You could just make your own with a small form factor PC.