Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Phosphor Dot Fossils: The DVD now available!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    boatofcar

PDF, I'll be ordering my copy in a few days (thank you for overseas shipping) but I wonder, do you have any concerns about possible copyright violations? I'm not accusing you of anything of course, I just wonder if that ever crossed your mind...

Starman (Level 23) Phosphor Dot Fossils's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Actually, that's a decent question which bears addressing. There are huge differences between the original version which was shown (but not sold) at OKGE/OVGE for several years, and this one, ranging from some clips (i.e. movie trailers for Tron, WarGames, etc.) to music (8-Bit Weapon and Tony Fox) that had to be removed before I could sell the DVD. (Don't get me wrong, Tony and 8BW gave me permission to use their music before I ever put it in the old version, and I loved having it in there, but their permission was based on the assumption that it would just be shown and not sold.)

The commercials are in a bit of a gray area, but they're of little commercial interest (pun not intended but required) now - i.e. they're not being represented as a current product. Game footage and logos fall under fair use - as I've said before, the best term I can think of to describe the PDF DVD is a "video book," as my own on-screen text accompanies what you see much of the time, adding some critical and historical perspective to what you're seeing. If it was just a DVD of commercials, that might be a darker gray area, but I think I'm on fairly safe ground here based on my own copyright experience. (And even if there was a DVD of just commercials, tapes of those have been going around for ages with nary a peep from the copyright holders, unless I'm very much mistaken.)

The music issue was resolved by me getting my groove on and coming up with my own music, plain and simple. (The neat thing there is, and I'm not sure if anyone's noticed this, when Atari Video Music comes up, it is in fact responding to the music that you're hearing at that very moment.)

So it's a pretty valid question. I put most of these commercials through the same remastering process that I did the stuff on PackratVG.com's Odyssey2 DVD, sometimes vastly improving things and sometimes winding up with an "ah f*** it", so think of it this way: you're not paying for the commercials, nor am I laying claim to them as intellectual property. But you are paying for some decent restoration that's been done on them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    boatofcar

Thanks for the answer I was planning on purchasing one either way, but I'm glad you thought about all that stuff

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Payment sent. Cant wait to see this.
    - I don't really like my friends. Yeah, I don't really like your friends either. -
    Lee Harvey Oswald was not a male model... You're god damn right he wasn't, but those two lookers who capped Kennedy from the grassy knoll sure as shit were.-

Insert Coin (Level 0) chuckwalla's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I received it on Monday and it's excellent.
    Spent part of the last two nights watching.
    Even though I was tired, I was so motivated to play some games from watching the DVD I broke out Pitfall and Super Breakout (2600), and Mouse Trap and Venture (Colecovision) for a few quick games - man I suck at video games when i'm tired!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Congradulations you were mentioned on Retro Gaming Radio!
    http://www.retrogamingradio.com/thes....php?current=1

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gapporin

Quote Originally Posted by Coldguy View Post
    Congradulations you were mentioned on Retro Gaming Radio!
    http://www.retrogamingradio.com/thes....php?current=1
    The segment starts right at 160:04, for those of you, like me, who just want to skip straight to that part.
    "I am a cipher, wrapped in an enigma, smothered in secret sauce."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The rest of the show is usually worth listening to. I got a chuckle out of how impressed Shane seemed by it, and I got a big laugh from him thinking it was a book (sorry, the book is a 2009-2010 project...whoa, did I say that out loud?).

BTW - there's a little delay in shipping this week due to the Memorial Day holiday; orders accrued since Friday morning will ship out this coming Wednesday. Again, huge thanks to everyone who's ordered so far, has thought about ordering, or has thought about thinking about considering the slightest possibility of ordering.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Sothy

Can I get it on beta?

PDF rocks yer mom btw.

<@Carey85> I-75 is the second busiest freeway in the country behind I-95
    <@NE146> u r

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quick question: someone ordering from the UK said that clicking on the "outside of North America" order button took them to Paypal...in German. Is this happening to anyone else? If it is, I evidently need to fix something.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ntanner

Just checked it, it isn't German, it's Dutch. (at least for me...)

Great Puma (Level 12) RetroYoungen's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cy4nBlue
    PSN
    RetroYoungen
    3DS Friend
    0817-3748-2336

Just got my copy in the mail yesterday, popped it in and watched it through... nicely enough, on my XBox 360 (which I felt was highly appropriate). Right after I had to go play some Pac-Man Championship... the wave of nostalgia was too strong to ignore.

Very nicely put together, and the way it's pieced, easy to follow and have fun with!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Couple of notes real quick:

I've had a hell of a time with my site's hosting provider recently, as they don't seem to be able to keep their database servers up to save their lives; if you tried to order a copy of the PDF DVD about a month ago and couldn't get through, try again - I have replaced the ordering page with an "old school" HTML page so it shouldn't be affected by the ongoing server errors.

Also, regretfully I have had to back out of OVGE this year; my not showing has nothing to do with the show itself, and I hope everyone who's planning on going will stick to their plans and go, if only so there's an OVGE for us all to go to next year. Several things yanked the rug out from under me this year, from finances to babysitting, so for the first time I'm going to be on the sidelines. I'm trying to see about getting a few copies together to send with someone else to sell at their tables, but I may not be able to get it together in time for the show. In the meantime, the DVD is entering its third print run and will still be available, both before and after the show, if anyone's still wanting to pick up a copy.

I'm bummed about missing OVGE, but I'm sure the other dads out there will attest that taking care of the kiddo always comes first.

In the meantime, thanks again for the orders and the kind words - I'm glad everyone seems to like it so far!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just wanted to let everyone know that a follow-up to the PDF DVD, Phosphor Dot Fossils: Level 2, is in the works and should be available in spring 2009. It will cover more games, more commercials, and more trivia and factoids from roughly the same period (1971-1986), with all-new stuff that will not overlap with the original DVD. It will also take a step further into the future, covering some pivotal titles from 1987. Otherwise, it will be in much the same format as the first one; no idea on the running time yet. I mean, I've got a rough idea, but there's an old saying that no battle plan survives contact with the enemy, so I prefer not to spill those particular beans yet.

In the meantime, between now and then, a certain other gaming-related DVD project I've been working on will finally be available by the end of this year. Stay tuned!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    BuckyBKatt
    PSN
    Bucky_B_Katt

Sweet I can't wait for the second one and whatever the one coming up is.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

cge dvd by the end of the year? that would be a nice xmas present.
    Load "*",8,1

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

labors of love always take time! I'll check it out when I can.
    Fear your thoughts because they become your words
    Fear your words because they become your actions
    Fear your actions because they become your habits
    Fear your habits because they become your character
    Fear your character because it becomes your destiny

Therefore: Thinking and nurturing positive thoughts, at any point in your life, can change your destiny.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

... and can I get a Girl Gamers Gone Wild! DVD?
    Fear your thoughts because they become your words
    Fear your words because they become your actions
    Fear your actions because they become your habits
    Fear your habits because they become your character
    Fear your character because it becomes your destiny

Therefore: Thinking and nurturing positive thoughts, at any point in your life, can change your destiny.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just a quick note for anyone going to CCAG this weekend: there will be a few copies of the PDF DVD for sale at Sniderman's table. Go watch the preview and get a copy in person before they're all eaten by a hideous grue! (BIG thanks to Tim for joining the ranks of those who are hawking my wares at the various shows that I can't make it to this year.)

I'm also working on making DVDs available at Too Many Games the following weekend - stay tuned for that announcement...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Black Friday? Pffffft! Why wait?

Through this Sunday night, you can get a holiday discount on the Phosphor Dot Fossils DVD at this page - over 10% off for folks in the US and Canada, and almost a 10% discount for folks in the rest of the world. If you haven't picked up a copy of PDF just yet, or want to give one as a gift, this is your chance. This link will disappear - kinda like the discount will too! - late this Sunday night.

As an added bonus, you can see some very early preview shots from Phosphor Dot Fossils Level 2, coming next spring, at the above link. Y'know...while it's there.