Thread: -=< Ovge 2k9 >=- !

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Insert Coin (Level 0) obliterator918's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've posted some pics. Sorry, no captions.

OVGE 2009

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by obliterator918 View Post
    [snip...]

I set up an Amiga CD32 and had Chaos Engine running on it, which seemed to draw a lot of people in to sit and play for a while. One guy actually read the instructions screen and played for a solid 15 minutes.

[snip...]
    That may have been me. I know I sat there for a while. I think I got into the third or forth level. I was honestly quited amazed to find Chaos Engine there. I'm a pretty big fan of the "top-down-shoot-things-that-move" sort of games. I have both SNES and Genesis ports, but never played the CD32 port. They remind me a lot of Dungeon Explorer, and I love me some Dungeon Explorer.

At any rate, getting to play that CD32 Chaos Engine was one of the highlights of my trip.

I've posted some pics. Sorry, no captions.

OVGE 2009
    Hah, there's me. Far left, standing up with the unshaven face.

http://picasaweb.google.com/brandon....80271088093458
    Last edited by neist; 10-25-2009 at 07:03 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by neist View Post
    That may have been me. I know I sat there for a while. I think I got into the third or forth level. I was honestly quited amazed to find Chaos Engine there. I'm a pretty big fan of the "top-down-shoot-things-that-move" sort of games. I have both SNES and Genesis ports, but never played the CD32 port. They remind me a lot of Dungeon Explorer, and I love me some Dungeon Explorer.

At any rate, getting to play that CD32 Chaos Engine was one of the highlights of my trip.

Yes, I remember you. I love it -- it's always nice when someone gets some enjoyment out of what I bring to the exhibit.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    cloneholt
    PSN
    cloneholt

Quote Originally Posted by neist View Post

Ah yes, I remember you quite well. You played a few different times on my Vectrex and we talked for a few minutes as well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Here's a shot of the goodies I bought at the show. It occurs to me that I bought the most from Earl at the Phosphor Dot Fossils table, and most of it wasn't video games, it was a DVD set and CDs. As far as games go, I didn't get much to my own amazement. A lot of the reason was dwindling cash (always a good excuse) and the simple fact that I already have a whole lot of what people are selling. My collection is getting nice and full now, and I need less to fill in the blanks. I loved the fact that 98PaceCar brought Gizmondo games, essentially just for me since I'm the only other person he knows who bought one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve W View Post
    Nice joystick. ;-)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Nice joystick. ;-)
    Were you the seller? I want to know where you managed to find a whole bunch of shrinkwrapped 1988 Atari compatible joysticks from England at? Talk about a cool find, locating an entire case of these things in this day and age!

I used to have one of these sticks back in the day, but it had a different label on it. Were all these designs from one company, or did Mindscape license the design from someone else?

Starman (Level 23) Phosphor Dot Fossils's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Total Control! Good thing you didn't show that to me, I would've confiscated it immediately to... um... playtest it. To make sure it works. Yeah, that's it.

I was surprised at how much of my non-game stuff sold - the DVD box and the soundtrack boxes weren't exactly picked dry, but they were all quite a bit lighter when they were rolled out to the car. Just knowing that somewhere on the highways of Oklahoma and Texas, someone was blasting a potent cocktail of old-school MST3K music, Space Battleship Yamato soundtracks and Marble Madness background music makes me happy.

I've got a write-up and some photos posted here if anyone's interested.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Were you the seller? I want to know where you managed to find a whole bunch of shrinkwrapped 1988 Atari compatible joysticks from England at? Talk about a cool find, locating an entire case of these things in this day and age!

I used to have one of these sticks back in the day, but it had a different label on it. Were all these designs from one company, or did Mindscape license the design from someone else?
    I was the seller. I didn't expect many people would be interested, but I managed to sell a few. I got a box of those off someone who found them in a warehouse a year or two ago. I don't really know much history about it, except that if you google Powerplayers Joystick you can find a couple of old magazine reviews of it. I used one on my Atari for a while and it is quite a nice stick. Much more comfortable to use for extended periods of time than the Epyx 500 XJ, which always made my hand sore.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Here's a shot of the goodies I bought at the show. It occurs to me that I bought the most from Earl at the Phosphor Dot Fossils table, and most of it wasn't video games, it was a DVD set and CDs. As far as games go, I didn't get much to my own amazement. A lot of the reason was dwindling cash (always a good excuse) and the simple fact that I already have a whole lot of what people are selling. My collection is getting nice and full now, and I need less to fill in the blanks. I loved the fact that 98PaceCar brought Gizmondo games, essentially just for me since I'm the only other person he knows who bought one.
    Oh wow! Is that a Mega Key (Genesis/Mega Drive converter)? How'd I miss that?

That's a great find! Quite difficult to locate.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadman View Post
    Ah yes, I remember you quite well. You played a few different times on my Vectrex and we talked for a few minutes as well.
    Yup. I remember you as well. This was actually what I'd consider my first classic gaming convention, and it was quite fun. I'll have to make sure I come from now on. Maybe even set up a booth.
    Last edited by neist; 10-26-2009 at 05:53 AM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Great show guys, I had a blast.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Here's a shot of the goodies I bought at the show. It occurs to me that I bought the most from Earl at tI loved the fact that 98PaceCar brought Gizmondo games, essentially just for me since I'm the only other person he knows who bought one.
    I wasn't at the show, and I didn't buy one "right away", but I'd still love to find Interstellar Flames 2. Anyone?

@pureenergy: Thanks; I did find Yurkle elsewhere, but I'm not sure I can afford the controllers, dang. Is DoubleDown an AtariAge guy, or is he here? And is selling his too?
    Russ Perry Jr, 2175 S Tonne Dr #114, Arlington Hts IL 60005
    Got any obscure game stuff?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by slapdash View Post
    I wasn't at the show, and I didn't buy one "right away", but I'd still love to find Interstellar Flames 2. Anyone?
    Eh, you're not missing much. I've played it, and it's pretty unremarkable. I was hoping it would be like Cybermorph or something, but it's a bland on-rails shooter with collision detection problems (or that might be just the version I tried).

It just occurred to me... you have a Gizmondo too? Dang, I wish I had known. If you attended the show (did you? Your location says Illinois, which is a bit of a drive) Darren and I could have brought ours and we could get some multiplayer gaming going. I've never had the opportunity to play against another player, let alone two. It's probably something that'll never happen again, I'd wager.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I had a great time. Got to see several familiar faces again and had the chance to meet several more people from the forums. Had a blast playing Space War with Mr. Deadman and making several laps around the booths.

I left with quite a few games, Flack's VIC-20 is now keeping my C64 from getting lonely, and I have some great entertainment ahead of me with Earl's Phosphor Dot Fossils Level 2 video and Brett's latest book. My little sister managed to find an Earthbound cart and came in 5th place (won the 4th place prize since 4th disappeared) in purenergy's Ms. Pac tournament. She's already asking me about next year.

Managed to make it out without taking any photos, the camera I brought had dead batteries and completely forgot about my cell phone camera once I got going.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by slapdash View Post

@pureenergy: Thanks; I did find Yurkle elsewhere, but I'm not sure I can afford the controllers, dang. Is DoubleDown an AtariAge guy, or is he here? And is selling his too?
    DoubleDown11 is a member here.

I recently asked if he had any more for sale, but he said no.
    Sorry about that.
    Man is a gaming animal. He must always be trying to get the better in something or other.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ah, bummer. And as to Gizmondo, yes I have one, but it's currently buried, and I haven't actually tried it out yet. Oh, and no, I wasn't at the show anyway, heh.
    Russ Perry Jr, 2175 S Tonne Dr #114, Arlington Hts IL 60005
    Got any obscure game stuff?