Thread: Game Doctor SF VI for SNES question

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Game Doctor SF VI for SNES question

I just recently picked up a Game Doctor SF VI for the SNES and I am having a hard time playing ROMS on it. Does anyone have the specifics on what needs to be done (file name, type of file, etc) to play them. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Do you have UCON64?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jorpho
    Do you have UCON64?
    Ok I downloaded this program and I'll just say now that this is way too complicated for me. I was under the impression that I could put a ROM on a disk and then put it in the system, but I guess I was wrong. Why do I have a habit of buying things I have no idea about. All of this coding is confusing the shit out of me, and from what I gather the only way to do anything is if your a programmer. Am I completely screwed now, or is there a simplier solution I am not seeing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Complicated? Oh, let me see this...

Oh, there's no GUI. That is a problem. Try the GUI version, SeeUCON64.

http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...ease_id=120056

See, the SMC format that most SNES roms end up as originated with the Super Magicom game copier. Your game copier evidently uses the GD3 format. So, after you download SeeUCON64 (and the other UCON64 Win32 package), unzip them into the same directory, and edit AllOptions.cfg (to configure the program's path), all you have to do is pick your ROM, select Super Nintendo, and then click Convert to GD3.

In theory.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jorpho
    Complicated? Oh, let me see this...

Oh, there's no GUI. That is a problem. Try the GUI version, SeeUCON64.

http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...ease_id=120056

See, the SMC format that most SNES roms end up as originated with the Super Magicom game copier. Your game copier evidently uses the GD3 format. So, after you download SeeUCON64 (and the other UCON64 Win32 package), unzip them into the same directory, and edit AllOptions.cfg (to configure the program's path), all you have to do is pick your ROM, select Super Nintendo, and then click Convert to GD3.

In theory.
    Ok, I hate to bother you again but I still need some help. I downloaded every file that has anything related to what you said but once I get past that part it starts getting confusing again, especially when I opened up the AllOptions thing. So I am going to ask a big favor of you...would you mind writing me up a step by step walkthrough as detailed as possible. I know its alot to ask, and I understand if you don't want to do it, but it would be very much appreciated as I am getting lost all of the time. Maybe I can throw so stuff your way as payment for the help. Please!!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

How much more explicit do I need to be? (This is why I sometimes put How to Ask Questions the Smart Way in my sig.)
    Oh well, I'm feeling generous.

-Download both
    ucon64-1.9.8-2-win32-mingw-bin.zip
    and
    SeeUCONv1.0.zip.
    Put all the files in both archives into the same directory, say D:\UCON64. (You may have to move the files manually, as there is a folder within ucon64-1.9.8-2-win32-mingw-bin.zip.)

-Open AllOptions.cfg with any text editor and scroll down to the line "ididnotreadthedoc" (hint hint)
    below
    $DEFAULT_UCON_PATH.
    Replace ididnotreadthedoc with
    D:\UCON64\UCON64.EXE
    or whatever directory you are using. (It is essential to put "UCON64.EXE" in that line.)

-SeeUCON is written in Java, so you'll need the Java Runtime Environment in order to run it. Such is the nature of Java.
    Get it from http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4/download.html .
    After you install the JRE, you should be able to start SeeUCON by double-clicking on either run.bat or SeeUCON.jar.

-Wait for the GUI to appear (it can take a while, as it is written in Java). Click on the word "Pick" next to the "ROM:" field and find a SNES rom.

-There is a drop-down box under General Options initially labelled "General". Click on it and select "Super Nintendo".

-Hover the mouse over the "Convert to GD3" button that appears. See how it says "Convert to Professor SF2 Game Doctor SF3/6/7"? That would appear to be what you want. Click the button to convert the ROM.

-All should be well (provided the ROM's checksum is OK). UCON64 should put a file in D:\UCON64 that might work with your copier.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I thank you very much for your help. The converter is now running fine. However, because I am the most unlucky person in the world, the games will still not work in my Game Doctor. I put the disk in and it automatically goes to black, like its gonna load the game, and it freezes. I don't know what the hell is going on, but I"ll figure it out eventually. Thanks again for the help, I really appreciate it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

You might want to try playing with some of the options. ("Force BS" is probably unnecessary.)

You may also note that apparently UCON64 can feed games directly into a Game Doctor through a computer port, although I have no idea how that would work (unless your Game Doctor came with a convenient cable).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Drexel923
    I thank you very much for your help. The converter is now running fine. However, because I am the most unlucky person in the world, the games will still not work in my Game Doctor. I put the disk in and it automatically goes to black, like its gonna load the game, and it freezes. I don't know what the hell is going on, but I"ll figure it out eventually. Thanks again for the help, I really appreciate it.
    I had this problem with some dumps on a Z64 (N64 copier) and what I had to do in a lot of cases is use a byte swap (or was it byte flip?) option in Ucon64. This is because certain copiers read the rom in a different direction than others. I am not sure if it applies to your situation, but it might.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by zektor
    Quote Originally Posted by Drexel923
    I had this problem with some dumps on a Z64 (N64 copier) and what I had to do in a lot of cases is use a byte swap (or was it byte flip?) option in Ucon64. This is because certain copiers read the rom in a different direction than others. I am not sure if it applies to your situation, but it might.
    Cool, I"ll have to check it out. But I certainly won't get my hopes up. I'll keep you guys posted.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Which game u ar trying to load now? i have some working ROM for game doctor series, i may send u some to test. see whether it is your file problems or device failure.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hey guys Im sure this topic is ages old but, its the only thing that even comes up when searching for anything about gd3 rom conversation in google.

Im having this constant issue with Uncon64 looking for a .dat file.

The issue in the read me say to just change the directory it looks for to some empty folder. Issue is the allconfig file doesnt seem to have an option line at all to point to where the .dat file should be. How do I change this?

Sorry for probably bumping a topic years old.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    daddypushi

Ok Im new to this to but i Managed to make things work, the "dat file" download that file from the Uncon64 web page depending on the rom you want to convert (snes, gg, etc..) then (you had to pay attention to Jorpho) start the GUI, frontend or what you want to call it!! in the upper left side says Frontend a sub menu will slide and you press Options in options yo press TEST (in the bottom middle of the screen) then you press the button Edit Configuration File and look for the line that says -- ucon64_datdir=~ -- you replace the tilde (this ~) with the address of the directory you put the dat file in ok!!!

happy now?
    Last edited by mastamuzz; 03-07-2010 at 04:06 AM.