Thread: PS2 Overheat?

Insert Coin (Level 0) spiritcloud's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default PS2 Overheat?

My wife got me some broken PS2's to piece together for my bday. I managed to get one working--it was playing every disc type perfectly.

Then BAM! It just suddenly stopped reading any disc type after a routine game switch. I am clueless as to why, other than the heat sink was very hot after it stopped working.

Does this sound like it could be an overheat problem, or something else? If it did overheat, is it ruined? Did something get permanently damaged?

Thanks in advance.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Dreamcast's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    X_DarkFaction_X

Quote Originally Posted by spiritcloud View Post
    My wife got me some broken PS2's to piece together for my bday. I managed to get one working--it was playing every disc type perfectly.

Then BAM! It just suddenly stopped reading any disc type after a routine game switch. I am clueless as to why, other than the heat sink was very hot after it stopped working.

Does this sound like it could be an overheat problem, or something else? If it did overheat, is it ruined? Did something get permanently damaged?

Thanks in advance.
    I would think would be ruined. At the begining of the PS2's life there were problems with the machine. one of the problems is that the PS2 does overheat. But the newer ones dont. But im sure it might not be a overheat problem. it may be that the power supply is burnt or dead. or the Laser that reads your discs is dead or some how got disconnected. Try cleaning out were the fans are. and maybe try opening it up and see if there is anything obscure.

Otherwise just get a new PS2.

-kevin

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    phreak97

just a guess, but i think the ps2 has the same kind of connector between the power source and the motherboard that the dreamcast has, and this can be a source of failure from heat. make sure its all clean and bend the connectors so that theyre making tight contact (its pins that stick through connectors mounted on the board) what can happen is that if the connectors arent holding the pins tight, the heat causes the pins to move away from the connector contact, and causing bad or no power.
    otherwise check the psu voltages are all fairly close to target, and ake sure your fan is actually spinning.. lol, the power to mine cut out for no reason (never came back on at all) and i had to power it from somewhere else in the ps2.

after cheacking everything, yeah ps2 consoles are all rubbish.. its probably just poo.

Insert Coin (Level 0) spiritcloud's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for the help and advice. I'll check all those things, but the PS2 does have power and the fan is running. I can use the browser and access/change memory cards of both types. It just went from working perfectly one minute, to not reading any type of disc the next. The only thing that seemed odd was how hot the heat sink felt. Compared to my other PS2's, it was much much hotter--almost enough to actually burn me.

It's just frustrating. For half a day I was Dad, the Hero, because I fixed a PS2. Then I had to watch my poor kids cry when I said it stopped working. I read about people and their easy fixes all over the internet, but they never work for me. Maybe I just have 5 PS2-lemons. haha