Thread: Adventure II is done ... demo and instructions

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Adventure II is done ... demo and instructions

Howdy, all!

I used to frequent this place eons ago. I figured I'd post a link. Adventure II is an Atari 5200 homebrew, based on The Square Trio's ideas of a sequel to Warren Robinette's masterpiece for the Atari 2600. It's been a long time in progress and gone thru glitches, lack of time, corporate lawyer problems, and other overhauls. It's done, as is my time as a homebrewer.

**note -- I only recommend the Atari800win emulator -- who knows how others will handle the ROM.

http://cafeman.www9.50megs.com/atari...ventureII.html

There is a demo for you to play as we wait for the carts to finish production and be shipped. There is more info at the link above, including a link to the game's instrcutions, taken from the manual.

I plan on posting a much larger "demo" after the folks who bought the game get their cartridges.

Say hello if you know me -- it's been a while!

(_)3 , or alternately, c(_)
    Last edited by Cafeman; 01-19-2007 at 09:59 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Shoot yeah, I remember when you used to post here quite frequently. You've definitely been missed. It'd be great to see you around here again more often.

I was one of those who preordered it back in November/December of 2005 (along with Reindeer Rescue and your other 5200 homebrew, Koffi) and I have been following the development of it with great interest. It's wonderful that it is finally finished. I'm very much looking forward to playing both of your homebrews, especially Adventure II.

Again, well done. I think your fan club is about to get bigger.
    "As you traitors roast in your own juices, I will be safely ensconced three miles below the earth's surface, listening to my wax-cylinder player and enjoying a delicious phosphate!"

Yo Joe! Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    ladyjaye75
    PSN
    ladyjaye75

hey cafeman!!!! How've you been? Long time no see indeed!

Man, I still remember that get-together at the bar at PhillyClassic 3... can't believe that was 5 years ago already. Anyways, welcome back. Too bad you're getting out of the homebrew scene... but that doesn't mean you can't come back and hang out with us.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

hello all! I remember you all!

I forgot to mention too, for this demo (and the full game) -- if you want to try out alternate icons to play as other than the square, you must unlock it from the title screen. The manual states this clue: "there is a year which is dear to the hearts of Adventure fans ... enter it on the title screen to unlock ... something". (It isn't hard to figure out folks).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I also ordered the game back in November 2005, so I'm glad it's finally seeing daylight. And I also understand why you're giving up homebrewing, with so many people whining about the release date. It's sad to see a quality programmer leave the homebrew scene. If you do get bitten by the programming bug again, just don't tell anyone what you're doing until it's finished! It'll cut down on illiterate kids moaning about the game not being done yet.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by stonic View Post
    I thought Adventure was released in 1980?
    Was it? I thought it was 1978. It isn't too late for me to change the date actually -- I never gave it a moment's thought ! Please confirm , I assume you know.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve W View Post
    If you do get bitten by the programming bug again, just don't tell anyone what you're doing until it's finished! It'll cut down on illiterate kids moaning about the game not being done yet.
    Yes, I think I would do that, if I felt the need to pursue another project. Who knows. If I did, it'd be a smaller scope project than AdvII was.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

You're right, it was 1978.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I just re-checked and I did see some 1980's , but I found 1978 references too -- including at Warren Robinettes own site , so I'm sticking with 1978!

"Adventure, a video game cartridge for the Atari 2600 video game console, was the first action-adventure video game. It was published by Atari Inc. in 1978, and sold 1 million copies. "

Leo -- did you used to go by "Atariboy" at the Sages site?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The 1980 dates I found were on the later picture releases of Adventure, not the text labels I think. Though oddly it seems limited to manuals and boxes, the cart artwork for the picture label has the copyright 1978 date. I'm 99% sure this game was released in 1978 since I believe it was in the second wave of Atari 2600 releases after the 77 launch. But I guess I better do some checking myself in case I'm spreading incorrect information. But didn't Atari switch over to picture labels in 1979? Adventure exist as a text label.

Yeah I'm that Atariboy.

Didn't think you remembered me all these years later. I said hi at AtariAge once, but I don't think you realized who it was. But I've been following your 5200 homebrews with interest for a long time, I can't wait to play Adventure II, planning on placing a order for a Redemption adapter and Adventure II soon so I can enjoy it. Looks like you did a great job programming this, I wish I had your talents to do this stuff.

Edit - Looks like you were right, assuming the copyright dates on the text label versions are correct and the 1978 on the picture label was a mistake.

http://www.atariage.com/software_pag...twareLabelID=1

But this following link says 1978, and I see this date at several sites. So I don't know which to believe. Might be worth it Cafeman to pm Curt Vendel at AtariAge and see if he can confirm anything, if anyone knows the answer outside of Warren Robinett, he would.

http://cheats.gamespy.com/atari-2600/adventure/
    Last edited by Leo_A; 01-20-2007 at 10:19 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Thanks, you got me convinced.

I thought something was strange with such a specific release date, seeing as there is debate about the correct release date for later consoles, even. But it's so widespread it was worthy of a mention.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 01-20-2007 at 11:19 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think i will change my unlock code. Actually, I will change "both" codes now. Erm, when was the 5200 released?

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

If there is a "year that's near and dear to Adventure fans" it's 1980. I'll never forget when and where I was when I first played this game.

Thanks for bringing this sequel to us, sir. I plan on playing the hell out of it just like I did back in '80.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Sothy

sup cafeman

<@Carey85> I-75 is the second busiest freeway in the country behind I-95
    <@NE146> u r

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    legeek2112

Hey man,
    Looking forward to playing this gem! Adventure II is one of the main reasons I picked up a 5200 several years ago at one of the Philly Classics. (The other reason - the 5200 was FREE with busted sticks). So even if you hadn't finished the game you reintroduced me to the joys of the Super System. I now have refurbed sticks and a custom Masterplace like device so I am all set...

Now that you are taking a well deserved homebrewing break, maybe you'll have time to hang out here more. We missed ya buddy, don't be a stranger!

Cheers,
    Ben
    Last edited by le geek; 01-25-2007 at 01:09 PM.
    le geek retrogaming
    RETRO REVIEWS / WANTED / BACKLOGGERY / MY DP FEEDBACK