Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My DS Lite hardware experience...

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default My DS Lite hardware experience...

I've decided to share my DS Lite experience from the last 2 months to see how many others have ran into the same problems. I don't consider myself a perfectionist.. just an individual that works hard for his money, and wants to get what I pay for.

Here goes:

UNIT 1:
    - This past July, my wife purchased a DS Lite as a wedding anniversary gift for me. I've right away noticed a stuck pixel, and returned the unit the next day.

UNIT 2:
    - I've used this unit the longest. Perfect screen, perfect buttons, everything was great. Until the dreadful crack occured in the left hinge (seems to be a common launch system problem).

The way one can tell they will run into a problem is by the sound the unit makes. It made none! It opened to the first position, and then smootly slid into the second. I believe there's some kind of missing stoppers that made the hinge crack if you push it too far.

I shipped the system (box and all) to get it fixed at the local Nintendo service center (this is actually a lie. Nintendo has an office only on the west coast. If you live in the east, you ship to a middle man that does the work on behalf of Nintendo!)

UNIT 3:
    - The unit arrived 2 weeks later. To my shock, it was a refurbished (or as Nintendo likes to call it, reconditioned) unit. It came in a small cardboard box + my manuals and adapters. My original packaging was tossed out by the middle man!!!!

It seems Nintendo doesn't repair units, they swap your brand new unit for a refurbished unit. You can tell you have a refurbished unit if your DS Lite serial number starts with a 9! (Nintendo issues a new serial number sticker which they put over the old unit number). Once can clearly see this if they look closely.

Not only was I pissed that they tossed all my packaging, but the replacement unit had 2 stuck pixel (one in each screen) as well as surface scratches! So I shipped it back.

UNIT 4:
    - 2 weeks later.. you guested it. A replacement. This time, one stuck pixel.

UNIT 5:
    - I was getting angry. This time, I called nintendo directly. They had me ship the unit directly to the west coast unit, and they started a file for me, which I referenced when I shipped the unit back.

UNIT 6:
    - A week has passed, and a replacement has arrived. The screen is perfect, the unit is perfect (except for a couple of hairline scratches in the case). The cover clicks perfectly and smoothly into the 2 supported positions.

Being angry that I didn't have the box, and the unit is not "new". I decided to try and sell this unit, and purchase a new one.

UNIT 7:
    - This past friday, I walked into a local electronics store, and purchased a new unit. This unit is as new as they get. Instead of a serial number starting with 4 (launch units) it started with 7! The screen has no dead pixels, and the hinge makes the same noise as unit #6 (which I still have).

But something felt wierd about this system. When I got it home, I compared it to unit 6 (which I didn't sell yet) and I was right!

The bottom screen had a strong yellow tint to it!

UNIT 8:
    - This morning, I returned unit 7 to the store. But unfortunetly, they didn't have any polar units left. I was stuck taking the onyx (black) one.

Right away, I check it out. No stuck pixels, but serial number starts with a 4. The hinge makes a loud clicking sound in the 2 position (I guess in the 7 series serial number, as well as my last replacement, they fixed it to not be so loud).

Further more, I've noticed a couple of other "issues":

- the volume button seems to be recessed a lot more into the unit
    - finger prints are EXTREMELY visible!
    - both top and bottom unit have a faint yellow tint to it.

Current situation:

I'm giving up. I'm going to return the onyx and not get it replaced. I believe the Nintendo rep really went up to bat for me with my last replacement unit. The screen is as good as it gets. It has no tint, it clicks like butter, and I guess I'll have to live with the fact that it's a refurbished unit (at least better than most new units one can buy these days).

So, anyone care to sell me their polar Nintendo DS Lite box?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You can't please everyone, I guess.
    <Evan_G> i keep my games in an inaccessable crate where i can't play them

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: My DS Lite hardware experience...

Quote Originally Posted by leonk
    I don't consider myself a perfectionist.. just an individual that works hard for his money, and wants to get what I pay for.
    "I consider you a massive, massive twat."
    -TMGChuck, after reading this thread as it was linked form the chat room.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    boatofcar

Do you complain about the noise a bag of chips make when you open them?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Lt Sans Pants

Default Re: My DS Lite hardware experience...

Quote Originally Posted by JJNova
    Quote Originally Posted by leonk
    I don't consider myself a perfectionist.. just an individual that works hard for his money, and wants to get what I pay for.
    "I consider you a massive, massive twat."
    -TMGChuck, after reading this thread as it was linked form the chat room.
    I am so fucking awesome it scares the neighborhood children.
    TooManyGames
    "Let us play!"
    www.toomanygames.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Perfection = The loss. Trust me, I know.

And getting a dead pixel will occur at one point. It's an LCD. Granted, that yellow-tint deal sounds absurd.
    ~~~GrayFox~~~
    Current thoughts and published articles = http://grayfoxtastical.1up.com/

Pear (Level 6) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Vinnysdad
    PSN
    Vinnysdad

You better be careful about the company you are dissing. Some people dont like that. If it was Sony though everyone would be agreeing with you and bad mouthing them right along with you.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Really thats to much. You got more then you paid for. Shure I can understand a dead pixel on a new units. But a slight yellowing, your trying to hard. You never would have noticed if you hadn't compared it with your other ds.
    (Oo (xxx) oO) (Oo (xxx) oO)
    .o xxxxxxxx o . o xxxxxxxx o

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm very well aware of LCD technology.

I'm on my 3rd laptop, have 2 desktop LCD screens, and my 42" HDTV is also LCD. The DS Lite is the only one that has stuck pixels! (and my 42" TV costs many times more than this tiny toy!)

As far as dissing Nintendo.. give me a break. If I was a nintendo hater, would I have a complete NES collection? Would I own every single hardware that the company put out?

I'm probably the most loyal customer this company ever seen from people I've met in person who are into gaming, and seeing this kind of ass fast crappy product being put out, is the reason for the rant in the first place!

Pac-Man (Level 10) hezeuschrist's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Hezeuschrist

I'd like to share my story...

UNIT 1:
    Bought it at launch, had it preordered and everything. It's sitting next to me right now.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hezeuschrist
    I'd like to share my story...

UNIT 1:
    Bought it at launch, had it preordered and everything. It's sitting next to me right now.

Sounds like all my previous nintendo purchases. I guess sometimes the planets and the moon align a certain way and funny things do happen.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Vinnysdad
    You better be careful about the company you are dissing. Some people dont like that. If it was Sony though everyone would be agreeing with you and bad mouthing them right along with you.
    I know I would, but I'll be the first to admit I'm a hypocrite. All humans are.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I only have 1 problem with my DS Lite and that's the cracked hinge. I bought it from Best Buy and it has a warrenty. I've noticed the crack since late October and may decide to take it to Best Buy and see if I can grab a replacement. If they don't then I'm at no loss because it still works just fine, just the crack sits in the back of my mind.
    [Website] [Gallary] [Games List] [DP Feedback]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cyberfluxor
    I only have 1 problem with my DS Lite and that's the cracked hinge. I bought it from Best Buy and it has a warrenty. I've noticed the crack since late October and may decide to take it to Best Buy and see if I can grab a replacement. If they don't then I'm at no loss because it still works just fine, just the crack sits in the back of my mind.
    Late October? It's only October 8 as of now. And you couldmn't have ment last October, because the DS Lite wasn't even out untiol this Spring.

Strawberry (Level 2) DragonMaster Sam's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

My Hot Rod red DS has a dead pixel on it, but I never sent it back. I can play games without it distracting me.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Alright, it seems like you're impossible to please. Not that a couple of those units sucked, but in some cases you kinda just had to take what you get.

The DS lite has had 2 different kind of touch screens. That 'yellow tint' is a result of the 'grid type' of screen, and it's the only one they make anymore. More info http://db.gamefaqs.com/portable/ds/f...ouchscreen.txt

When I bought my DS, it was a monday. I believe on the friday of that same week, they announced the date of when the Black and Pink ones came out, so I was a little ticked. I looked at my BB receipt, to see that I could return it within a month no questions asked, and that also means I can swap it out. So, fast forword to when I went to get a black one. The only one they've got left has a beat to hell box (someone pulled too tight with that wire anti-theft thing) but, from how I look at it, I got lucky that I didn't have to pay a dime to switch the white for the black. No dead pixels, scratches on the unit, or cracking hinges on either unit, BTW.

Oh, and I'm sure someone got sent my white unit as a referb. Luckily for them, I was extremely careful with it, even though I knew I was going to return it.
    Aqua Teen Hunger Force, Number 1 in the 'hood g!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by White Knight
    Late October? It's only October 8 as of now. And you couldmn't have ment last October, because the DS Lite wasn't even out untiol this Spring.
    I'm sorry there's no edit button and my mind is in the wrong month, I ment August. Carry on. Nothing to see here.
    [Website] [Gallary] [Games List] [DP Feedback]

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Ahh the dreaded dead pixel and crack hinge symdrome

I don't blame you leonk for being pissed. I would be pissed too if i was in your situation. Sending in a brand new item and getting a refurbished item is not fair at all esp when the defect was right out of the box or a manufacturing problem (crack hinge due to overtightening). I guess you should buy the DS lite from a place that you can easily return i.e. Costco, Wal Mart etc. Be very carefull if you diss a company though 'hush' I won't name the company, but the fanboys may prance on you and eat ya alive if they feel any kind of hostility towards THAT company. From their point of view "We defend the righteous, we defend them till we die".

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by White Knight
    I'm sorry there's no edit button and my mind is in the wrong month, I ment August. Carry on. Nothing to see here.
    Hehe, after I wrote that, I realised I made two typos and there was no edit button. I miss it, it's killing me without one, lol.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    retroman20/retroman21
    PSN
    retroman13

Default LITE N Up

Dude you are so anal...