Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Famicom game question

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Famicom game question

I was going through a collection of games I got from my friend and came across these.
    Can anyone tell me what these are and if they are worth anything. I know next to nothing about famicom games. Thanks in advance.[/url]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The first one is obviously Mario Brothers, I believe the Arcade version. And the last one is Hydlide Special. Not sure about the Famicom version, but the American version is terrible. The only other one I really recognize is Fantasy Zone II. I believe Tengen made the version for the American market, but they aren't entirely similar. The American version is a great shooter.

Take this all with a grain of salt, I'm not very familiar with the import scene.

Later,
    Chrome...

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

To the best of my knowledge, none of those are particularly valuable, and at least a couple appear to be pirates to me. As for what they are, since most have their titles in English, they are what the say. :P

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Zeno2112

The black-shelled Taito cart with the red "07" in the lower-right corner is the Japanese version of The Legend Of Kage. Pretty common AFAIK.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B
    To the best of my knowledge, none of those are particularly valuable, and at least a couple appear to be pirates to me. As for what they are, since most have their titles in English, they are what the say. :P
    most of them are pirates, the fantasy zone looks like the only real deal in that bunch. just remember tho, some people are mad on collecting pirate games stuff!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Hammy
    most of them are pirates, the fantasy zone looks like the only real deal in that bunch. just remember tho, some people are mad on collecting pirate games stuff!
    Only the first cartridge - the shitty looking Mario label (not Mario himself, though he's gotten handsomer over the years - I mean the text on it)- is a pirate, unless the pirates made perfect carbon copies of the real things.

I don't know what the Namcot cartridge (I think it is, dinosaur thing, top right picture) is, looks interesting.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Blitzwing256's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    blitzwing256
    PSN
    blitzwing256

hydlide special is the same as the us hydlide and thats an original.

super chinese is the jap version of kung fu heroes and thats an original.

fantasy zone is an orignial
    kage is either an orignial or a very well done pirate (the taito in the upper right is a sign its an orignial)

the namcot game is also an original

the rest are pirates

fantasy zone might be worth a few bucks 5-10 but the rest are common as common gets and are worth about 1-5 depending on who's looking for em

somewhere between the past and the future
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The one with the green dinosaur is (according to my research) a game called "Wagyan Land". I know this because i own Wagyan Land 2 & 3.

Funny thing is that my Namcot carts look different than the ones in those pics. Mine are taller, blue, and have NAMCOT under the label. I can post a pic later is anyone wants me to.

Possibility is infinity! You must be satisfied!

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces. -The Sizz

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Blitzwing256
    hydlide special is the same as the us hydlide and thats an original.

super chinese is the jap version of kung fu heroes and thats an original.

fantasy zone is an orignial
    kage is either an orignial or a very well done pirate (the taito in the upper right is a sign its an orignial)

the namcot game is also an original
    Agreed so far...

the rest are pirates
    What are you getting this from? The Kage no Densetsu, for example, is clearly a real Taito cartridge. Damned people.

Thanks for the info, Push Upstairs. I've seen the name and the character before, just couldn't place it (shit, I do this a lot, don't I).

Funny thing is that my Namcot carts look different than the ones in those pics. Mine are taller, blue, and have NAMCOT under the label. I can post a pic later is anyone wants me to.
    Before anybody says it, that doesn't mean the one pictured is a pirate. Those later carts probably have the special Namco sound chip/mapper inside, and after a certain date Namco started using the cartridges with rounder edges (like Splatterhouse: Wanpaku Graffiti has).

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Oscuro
    Only the first cartridge - the shitty looking Mario label (not Mario himself, though he's gotten handsomer over the years - I mean the text on it)- is a pirate, unless the pirates made perfect carbon copies of the real things.

I don't know what the Namcot cartridge (I think it is, dinosaur thing, top right picture) is, looks interesting.
    i stand corrected! they look pretty badly made, and the artwork looks rarther dodgy on them for original cartridges, i'd of expected better looking games.

i surpose the japanese were not perticually bothered how good the cartridges looked, they just wanted to play the games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

i stand corrected! they look pretty badly made, and the artwork looks rarther dodgy on them for original cartridges, i'd of expected better looking games.

i surpose the japanese were not perticually bothered how good the cartridges looked, they just wanted to play the games.
    Well, Hydlide wasn't terribly well made to begin with, but the logo's nifty. The Kage no Densetsu cart, though...that's a classic of game art right there, can't believe you don't like it.

You gotta remember that this was back when you could make and sell a game on a budget numbering in the thousands of dollars, and overall these were exactly high-budget titles anyway (Super Chinese?)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    blitzwing256
    PSN
    blitzwing256

What are you getting this from? The Kage no Densetsu, for example, is clearly a real Taito cartridge. Damned people.
    re-read what I wrote turbo, I said kage WAS either an original or a very well done pirate, i've come across a few kage pirates that still have the taito molded into the cart but were pirates anyways (best way to check is to read the back label on the cart and compare it to a confirmed original

mario bros and formattion Z are definatly pirates.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thank you all for the help.
    Edit: games have been sold.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

re-read what I wrote turbo, I said kage WAS either an original or a very well done pirate
    My apologies. Having it right under another item (instead of separated like the others) and having "all the others" refer to two titles threw me off a bit.

However, on the Formation Z...is that based off of the cartridge color? Aside from that, it looks just like other ones, including the copies (all from toysonlinehk...in HK, could be they're dumping). I've found only two pictures that suggest the game should be pink, instead of orange, like this one, or this one, and I don't see any that are orange. All the same, this isn't terribly convincing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    blitzwing256
    PSN
    blitzwing256

I've also come across a jaleco molded one in pink, but that coloured one i've seen a few pirates of. the colour is what throws me off and makes me believe it is a pirate.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I've also come across a jaleco molded one in pink, but that coloured one i've seen a few pirates of. the colour is what throws me off and makes me believe it is a pirate.
    Strange, but you know, I'm starting to become convinced - and I have seen some pink cartridges before, elsewhere. Basically:

- two pink cartridges show up for the Google search, one at a website I know of and think can be trusted.

- two orange cartidges pictures show up, and one's being used for a bunch of $2.50 BIN auctions from Hong Kong. Hmm...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Chrome
    The only other one I really recognize is Fantasy Zone II. I believe Tengen made the version for the American market, but they aren't entirely similar. The American version is a great shooter.
    Tengen released the first Fantasy Zone Famicom game in the US but there were some changes. (need to go over those as the arcade comparison is coming up at RTM) The second was never released stateside and generally garnered lower reviews than the original.

Quote Originally Posted by Nukie
    Thank you all for the help, and I guess the follow up question is:
    Is anyone interested in any of these? If so, pm me with an offer.
    Please PM me with what you would like for the Fantasy Zone II cart as I would like it as a companion to when I got to review the Tengen port of the original. If you've gotten no bites I'd also be interested in what you would like for all of them / remaining. Please let me know!

Also - the original SMB Famicom release used artwork from Wrecking Crew?? There's your pirate proof right there.

somewhere between the past and the future
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wagyan Land 2 & 3

I supposed i'd be interested in that Wagyan Land game (just to have all three) but i have no idea what to offer.

Possibility is infinity! You must be satisfied!

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces. -The Sizz

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

I've already made an offer and paid for all the games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Push Upstairs
    I bet the cases for those games would be wider than the usual Famicom ones - just like Splatterhouse. The carts look pretty much exactly the same.