Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    boatofcar

Default 360 Getting a Blu-Ray drive?

http://www.gizmodo.com/gadgets/home-...ray-148002.php

From Gizmodo:

Peter Moore had a recent interview with the Japanese website ITmedia where he admitted that the Xbox 360 could possibly see a Blu-ray external add-on. Even though it was announced at the Microsoft keynote at CES that the HD-DVD add-on would be coming soon for the Xbox 360, Moore said this isn’t certain. Because the 360 will be using an external add-on it allows Microsoft to adapt whatever the hell next-gen disc format that it wants. Moore did confirm the fact that Xbox 360s will never be shipping with any kind of next-gen drive already integrated into the console. Biggest twist of the year in the next-gen disc war?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    AKay724

Basically they are leaving the door open to the format wars.
    Whichever format wins they will support externally.
    He also said no games would come in either format only movies would be able to be played with the HD-DVD and/or the Blu-Ray addon.

Also during CeS i read today is that the xbox 360 is lcd flat panel monitor compatible im assuming through the usb.

AKay

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I would say it's a nice little twist but I'm not suprised by it. At the rate of technology I would expect every well developed system of anything whether it be a game consule, computer, cell phone, camera, or your car to be built to accept future possible add-on features, and they do. Most main-stream game consules for years have had additional ports to support. Because Microsoft are quite informed on things (most of the time), they should be prepared for blue-laser add-ons to compete with Sony and other possible machines.
    [Website] [Gallary] [Games List] [DP Feedback]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by AKay
    Also during CeS i read today is that the xbox 360 is lcd flat panel monitor compatible im assuming through the usb.
    ...Through the USB? My guess was...through the regular (or maybe a specific) circuitry box (certainly adding LCD monitor support wouldn't be that tough; just needs a different resolution).

Great Puma (Level 12) Sylentwulf's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

When the xbox 360 ends up paying sony royalties, life will be good
    Rend, slaughter, devour your enemies. There is no other way to survive. You cannot escape your hunger, Warriors of Purgatory

DP Users get 8% off at www.ElectricQuarter.com using coupon code Digipress5

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sylentwulf
    ? Explain.
    All my meseta if you can guess what CMTZ stands for.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cmtz
    ? Explain.
    didn't realize quite so many companies developed it, I thought Sony was one of the main "creators" of blu-ray, hence anyone who uses it would have to pay someone something.
    Even if they don't end up paying royalties, the fact that MS might have to use something jointly developed by apple and sony (among others) still amuses me.
    Rend, slaughter, devour your enemies. There is no other way to survive. You cannot escape your hunger, Warriors of Purgatory

Banana (Level 7) segagamer4life's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

good to see them, keeping with the times, but why not make the drive internal? I mean, send out the install kit and the drive, and go to town, but then I guess you have your average joe dumbass non-tech guy who could possibly fubarb their 360....
    To be this good takes AGES

To be this great takes SEGA!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So the 360 might get yet another 32X?

GREAT

Flame me if ya want but all these add-ons are going to bomb with the masses.

Sure maybe us "geeks" get a rise out of it and comprehend the need for such things but the millions of casuals out there like to buy a system and games THATS IT ! (OK maybe memory cards too but thats the only acception to the rule.)

ADD ONS DO NOT SELL FOR HOME CONSOLES! and no matter how many of ya try to explain it away and try to make the point of how "sensible" all this is , these external HD-DVD or Blue-Ray DVD drives that are proposed by Microsoft for the 360 are ADD-ONS meaning they do not come standard with the system and IMO are a step in the WRONG DIRECTION for the 360.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

what kind of world do you live in?
    my life wont change?
    The human operates out of complex superiority demands, self -affirming through ritual, insiting upon a rational need to learn, striving for self-imposed goals, manipulating his environment while he denies his own adaptive abilities, never fully satisfied.
    --Frank Herbert

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by googlefest1
    what kind of world do you live in?
    my life wont change?
    A very small and busy one, where minor things amuse me greatly. I call it.... Tobytown

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sabre2922

ADD ONS DO NOT SELL FOR HOME CONSOLES!

For the most part, you are correct. There have been certain add ons that have been "marginally successful", like....

Sega CD - sure, ultimately it was unsuccessul, but they did end up selling quite a few of these.

N64 Ram Expansion - This was probably one of the most successful add ons out there, mainly cause it's so small, and so easy to snap into the system

PS2 Eye Toy - This is a relatively successful product that doesn't come standard with the PS2.

But I do totally agree with you. You can't change things like that mid stream. You either have to use a HD-DVD drive from jump street or not at all. (I'm talking from a games standpoint). Having a optional HD-DVD drive or Blu-Ray drive that's only use is for playback of High Def movies, I don't see that as being anything to really be concerned about, as long as everybody is well aware that it's only use is to play Movies.

Banana (Level 7) segagamer4life's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

by the same token, look at the bomb that is the PS2 hard drive, they sold a lil.... but I dunno how the "add-ons" will do time will tell.
    To be this good takes AGES

To be this great takes SEGA!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

ADD ONS DO NOT SELL FOR HOME CONSOLES! and no matter how many of ya try to explain it away and try to make the point of how "sensible" all this is , these external HD-DVD or Blue-Ray DVD drives that are proposed by Microsoft for the 360 are ADD-ONS meaning they do not come standard with the system and IMO are a step in the WRONG DIRECTION for the 360.
    Correct, and not just add ons. Hell, look how long it took some people last generation and the one before to even buy memory cards sometimes. Not to mention the average consumer won't even fork over money for an extra controller - let alone an alternate media drive. I remember years ago certain people who were all set on buying a PlayStation but their TV only had a coaxial connection, and that extra $20 for the RFU adapter caused them not to buy anything.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Via slashdot:

"Their thought? Sony is after something much bigger than the gaming market. From the article: "The big play is for the high definition DVD market, and in this context, an early launch, with small hardware numbers and threadbare games software support might just be a good move. This play potentially represents Sony's most important move in its entire history. Imagine; a royalty for Sony on every single DVD sold between 2006 and 2012 or thereabouts. No wonder Bill Gates hates Blu-ray."

I knew I had some basis for my thoughts.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony1

ADD ONS DO NOT SELL FOR HOME CONSOLES!

For the most part, you are correct. There have been certain add ons that have been "marginally successful", like....

Sega CD - sure, ultimately it was unsuccessul, but they did end up selling quite a few of these.

N64 Ram Expansion - This was probably one of the most successful add ons out there, mainly cause it's so small, and so easy to snap into the system

PS2 Eye Toy - This is a relatively successful product that doesn't come standard with the PS2.

But I do totally agree with you. You can't change things like that mid stream. You either have to use a HD-DVD drive from jump street or not at all. (I'm talking from a games standpoint). Having a optional HD-DVD drive or Blu-Ray drive that's only use is for playback of High Def movies, I don't see that as being anything to really be concerned about, as long as everybody is well aware that it's only use is to play Movies.
    Dont forget microphones for singstar

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I could see that

I mean I would prefer a combined HD-DVD/Blu-ray format but if not than I defintily will be going for blu-ray

though I can fully understand why MS is doing this.

"With Great Power Comes Great Responisibility"
    Wanting to Collect full set of Super Nintendo Games as well as Dreamcast Games.

http://users.ign.com/collection/Lothars

Pac-Man (Level 10) djbeatmongrel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    djbeatmongrel

you know, these new disc formats seem a little unneccasry for the time. its great they are being developed but try to force it on the masses when its not cost effective yet is silly. and really i dont think devs have pushed the limits of dvd and dual layered dvd technology enough to jump to a larger disc format.
    4 Wonderswan Consoles, 98 CIB Wonderswan/Color Games
    6 Wonderswan Accessories,1 Wonderswan Prototype

Great Puma (Level 12) DeputyMoniker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    tellUwut

Quote Originally Posted by djbeatmongrel
    you know, these new disc formats seem a little unneccasry for the time. its great they are being developed but try to force it on the masses when its not cost effective yet is silly. and really i dont think devs have pushed the limits of dvd and dual layered dvd technology enough to jump to a larger disc format.
    Youre thinking "videogames". You have to think "HDTV". As it has been explained before, DVD outputs a lower resolution than what HDTV is capable of. The HD DVD formats were talking about output a HD quality signal. X-360 and some TV channels are the only reasons to adopt HDTV right now. Gimme a Blockbuster/Hollywood Video option & Ill consider upgrading to HDTV.

Back on topic...this isnt based on fact but just an idea Im having...lets say HD-DVD is losing & it looks like Blu-Ray is going to be the big hit. Wouldnt it be best for Microsoft to say "well, we support whatever...we arent taking sides on this"? I mean it would look bad if people kept thinking "Sony won". And there is no freakin' way an X-360 video unit is going to hit the street. Forget about it...they can claim development all they want but it aint happenin'.

Click here to view my collection.
    DP FFXIV Username & Server List.

PSN, Switch, U, Steam, and Twitch: tellUwut