Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Arcade ports better than the originals

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Arcade ports better than the originals

Usually arcade ports are simply downgraded versions of the original games, and leave me with a disappointed feeling. But sometimes arcade ports are better than the arcade game itself. Usually because, I think in the case of the NES for example, that when the console is just so much weaker than the arcade boards they tried to redesign the whole thing into a good game on it's own rather than just make the same game with inferior graphics, sound and features. Consider the following NES ports-

Double Dragon

I actually enjoy playing the NES port of Double Dragon over the arcade game (Not that I dislike the arcade game) because I think the control is a little better and there's more stuff to do; navigating through the cave in mission three, ride elevators and whatnot in mission 4, and it's shorter. The arcade game tends to get a little repetitive to me.

Same goes for Double Dragon II, the NES game had lots of stuff to do- the helicopter, the train, the mansion, jumping around on gears and conveyor belts in level 7, the arcade game was pretty much Double Dragon all over again.

Contra

I'm probably just biased here considering how much I loved Contra on the NES, it just seems a little more... focused. They're actually quite similar except the NES port seems to have a little more strategy involved. And the game is a little longer, for example stage 3 in the arcade game was "jump up a few steps, shoot the boss a couple times and you're in stage 4." The NES version was more eventful. Plus, a side scrolling platformer with a vertical monitor? The NES' horizontal orientation had a more natural feel to it.

Bionic Commando

I'm pretty sure the arcade game came first, and the NES game may be more of a sequel than a port considering you have to save Super Joe (The hero of the arcade game) but they share the same name so I'll consider it a port. The Bionic Commando NES game (Or Hitler No Fukkatsu or whatever you want to call it) was alot more involving than the arcade game, you had to chose paths, find "key" items, collect weapons and deal with those transmitter communications. And you got to see Adolf Hitler's face explode in with all the wanton gore an 8-bit machine could display in 4 colors.

Ninja Gaiden

This one is obviously not really a port, but it's certainly worth mentioning. Fantastic platformer with one of the best stories in a video game (I think) that's a lot more fun than an average beat-em up. Of course, if you want a beat-em up Ninja Gaiden wasn't too bad.

Strider

I'm not really sure about this one; while I like how the progression of the game goes along with a pretty cool story, and you have more items and weapons and stuff along with a little more exploration element, the play control wasn't half as good as the arcade game. But I do find it to be just a little more fun to play.

UN Squadron\Area 88

I loved the arcade game and the SNES port was even better; you got to have multiple special weapons, choose paths, a much bigger selection of planes which you could buy and switch out in the middle of the game...Capcom gave you a lot of fun stuff to do as compensation for the inferior graphics and sound.

As you can see, most of the ports I can think of are for the NES, because that's the only console I was really familiar with during that time. I'm hoping the rest of you can add to this with Sega, C64 or Amiga, etc. arcade ports.

What do you think, sirs?

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Soul Calibur. 'nuff said.

Insert Coin (Level 0) The-Bavis's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ChuckleFutz

When I read the topic title, I thought, "NES Strider - haw haw what a crappy port..." I just don't think I gave it a fair shot after seeing how very different it was from the sleek and sexy arcade version.
    The-Bavis

Pac-Man (Level 10) Blitzwing256's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    blitzwing256
    PSN
    blitzwing256

section Z was a big advancement as well (even if the nes version didn't actualy have a "Section Z" per say)

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The-Bavis
    When I read the topic title, I thought, "NES Strider - haw haw what a crappy port..." I just don't think I gave it a fair shot after seeing how very different it was from the sleek and sexy arcade version.
    The Genesis/Megadrive version was really ok.

Great Puma (Level 12) Gamereviewgod's Avatar
    Toledo, Ohio and likely writing a review.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gamereviewgod
    PSN
    Gamereviewentity
    3DS Friend
    3136-6571-2996

Most people would agree that Contra is better on the NES. There should be a thread in Classic Discussions about it. I started it, and it was pretty much agreed upon.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Any body here have thoughts on Solomon's Key?

Every time i see it mention the reponse is the, NES version was better 'then the arcade one

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tron 2.0

Every time i see it mention the reponse is the, NES version was better 'then the arcade one
    On the same note, I've always felt that Mighty Bomb Jack was better than the arcade as well.

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

Aside from Area88 on the SNES, I would say Spy Hunter on the C64. MILES more playable and fair...

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

Quote Originally Posted by Tron 2.0

From what I could tell, the arcade version played pretty identically to the NES version, but looked way better. I haven't compared them side-by-side, but ever since I played the arcade version (in the MAME club!!!), I immediately decided it was better, and I haven't played the NES version since.

When I read the topic, the first thing I thought was "U.N. Squadron". Have you guys noticed that most of what you're mentioning are Capcom games? There's this running theme with Capcom in that period where several home releases were significantly more fleshed-out than their arcade counterparts. Look at Willow for a freaking rediculous example. 1943 is another example. I had actually heard that Nintendo was requiring some third-party developers to spruce up their arcade titles in order to give people a reason to purchase them instead of just going to the arcade to play them, but no one has really confirmed that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i think quite the opposite, when they messed with the arcade formula on NES games, it annoyed me. Q-bert has an ending, Gyruss has bosses, Double Dragon is one player only, Donkey Kong only has three boards, etc etc.

Nintendo seemed to be anti-arcade in the day, and ironically, it was the arcade that put nintendo on the map, and gave them instant name recognition when the NES was released. Sega took the "bring the arcade home" approach with the SMS and the Genesis, and while that strategy didnt win them a ton of market share (the genny didnt pull ahead until the release of Sonic), it made a fan of me, and provided a model for SNK

ironically (part 2), the SNES didnt really take off until capcom ported street fighter II

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think arcade Ninja Gaiden is junk compared to the NES rendition.
    New England Classic Gaming - Violent fighting to come again!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chrisbid
    ironically (part 2), the SNES didnt really take off until capcom ported street fighter II
    It didn't? I remember it being pretty hot from the start. Certainly enough to impact Sega's market anyway.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Don't forget Konami's TMNT II NES and TMNT IV on the SNES. Extra levels, more bad guys, and some re-worked fighting groups were always cool.

I also thought how Namco added the optional "Texture" Mode to the PSX versions of StarBlade Alpha and Cybersled ruled.

And let's not forget every Tekken since 3 having something goofy to play along with it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I seem to be alone in the "I don't like TMNT 2" camp. I loved the arcade game, but just didn't enjoy the NES port half as much; the play control changed into something I didn't like. The arcade was a mindless 4-player button masher, where as the NES port was less forgiving in the combat system, if you took that approach. And if you played it "properly", well, I'd rather play Doube Dragon II or something.

Bahh, well, okay, I admit I did have fun playing it with a friend. But I guess there's not a heck of alot you can do to a beat-em up for vast improvements.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The PC version of Rampart was better than the original as it had all of the best parts of the arcade game along with some new cannons, etc.

http://www.the-underdogs.org/game.php?id=2011

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Astayanax was actually a pretty decent port to the NES. I recall playing it a lot, though the story never made a lot of sense to me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Pretty much all arcade ports of the current generation are better on the console. Developers pack in all sorts of extra modes and goodies that add depth and challenge to games. Just another nail in the arcade coffin.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Aboard a pirate ship, sailing towards adventure.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The SMS ports of:

Captain Silver
    Enduro Racer
    Bubble Bobble

all exeeded the arcade originals.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'd have to add in Double Dragon 2 on NES. It wasn't until the world of MAME that I was actually able to spend a decent amount of time with the arcade version and once I did, it just felt like the first game remade with new graphics.

The NES version was much longer and just had much more variety I think...it's come to be one of my favorite NES games.