Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 'Atari(R) Flashback 2.0' Announced....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Default 'Atari(R) Flashback 2.0' Announced....

If true, I will buy this one..................

'Atari(R) Flashback 2.0' Announced

- Plug-and-Play Console Celebrates 30th Anniversary of Pong(R) -

NEW YORK, April 27 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- In response to consumer and retailer demands, Atari, Inc. (Nasdaq: ATAR) today announced the summer launch of Atari(R) Flashback 2.0, the follow-up to the holiday 2004 hit, the Atari(R) Flashback Classic Game Console, which shipped more than 550,000 units to retail. Atari Flashback 2.0 will be modeled after the pioneering Atari 2600 console and heralds in the 30th anniversary of Pong(R), the first arcade game created for the home which started the revolution that has today turned into a $10 billion industry.
    The Atari Flashback 2.0 will feature Pong as well as 40 other classic
    games including Asteroids(R), Centipede(R), Millipede(R), Lunar Lander(TM), Breakout(R), Missile Command(R), Combat(TM) as well as retro game and arcade classics that have never before been released for the home console. Atari Flashback 2.0 will feature the same wood grain paneling and look of the Atari 2600, and will capture the feel through two classic joysticks for multi-player competition and vintage controls.
    "The Atari Flashback series harkens back to the early days of video games where the simplicity of design and the addictive game mechanics connected instantly with audiences of all ages. Even in this day of advanced and more complex gameplay, these legacy games continue to elicit fantastic reactions via the on-screen action, and again, to a wide and broad audience," said Wim Stocks, Executive Vice President, Sales, Marketing, Licensing and Distribution. "Now, on the 30th anniversary of Pong -- the grandfather of all video games -- it is fitting that we begin to commemorate this milestone with the launch of Atari Flashback 2.0."
    The Atari Flashback 2.0 promises to deliver the same gaming sights, sounds and action as the original Atari 2600. To ensure this authenticity, Atari has engineered the tools and code of the original games for reproduction on modern chip technology.
    "Unlike other nostalgia gaming products on the market, the Atari Flashback is the real McCoy and the games included are originals, not third-party ports," said Curt Vendel, president of the Atari Historical Society and contributing producer for Atari Flashback 2.0. "Atari has traveled back in time to recall an era where the experience was paramount to the technological bells and whistles."
    Developed by Atari, the Atari Flashback 2.0 will be available early this
    summer for under $30 at retailers nationwide.
    My DP Refs MaximumRD Classic Gaming and Computing Me in a Nutshell (NOT LITERALLY!) http://about.me/maximumrd
    WHERE DID THEIR HAIR GO?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Re: 'Atari(R) Flashback 2.0' Announced....

Whoa, sweet.

...Starts me to wondering if Sega would re-release more of their games - but I mean something like Saturn. By the time that'd be possible...it'd be downloadable to a set top box...but the only problem is that they weren't all that popular the FIRST time around. Anyhow...

Kirby (Level 13) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Oscuro
    Whoa, sweet.

...Starts me to wondering if Sega would re-release more of their games - but I mean something like Saturn. By the time that'd be possible...it'd be downloadable to a set top box...but the only problem is that they weren't all that popular the FIRST time around. Anyhow...
    I agree, Sega needs to make a collection disc with the original goods. the Sega Classic Collection on PS2 is cool, but I don't need any flashy graphics on the classics to make it look "Hella cool!". It just makes me miss the original Sega games as they were.
    These cartridges are dirty as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore!

Great Puma (Level 12) Bratwurst's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Rumor has it that the circuit board for this thing will have a spot to solder in a cartridge connector. Not that it'd beat getting a standard 2600 anyway, unless it was 7800 hardware for some reason.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    GarrettCRW
    PSN
    GarrettCRW

Quote Originally Posted by Bratwurst
    Rumor has it that the circuit board for this thing will have a spot to solder in a cartridge connector. Not that it'd beat getting a standard 2600 anyway, unless it was 7800 hardware for some reason.
    Two words: composite video. Of course, presuming this is true, is there anyone who'd be willing to provide this mod for me?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i did not buy the first one that came out, but you can bet i will buy a few of these babies!

can't wait!

Rick

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I see classic gaming folks buying two of these. One to mod and one to keep original. I know I did that with the C64TV stick that came out last Xmas

Pac-Man (Level 10) Arqueologia_Digital's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Cīmon!!!, not again!!!, another Flashback is not great...itīs only a little trick to f*/ the collectors imo...

By the way, any pics???...

Matías

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I want a full game list before I consider a purchase. There needs to be something reallllly good on there.... Like the A-team. No Sabetouer (sp?) Seriously, its not that big a deal to plug in a cart into my 2600.. Price is ridiculous too. I bet someone is making a boat load off these though....
    #vbender

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Somehow, someway, I am positive that this is true. It will have a spot for cartridge connectivity...

Dan Loosen
    http://www.goatstore.com/ - http://www.midwestgamingclassic.com/
    ** Trying to finish up an overly complete Dreamcast collection... want to help? (Updated 5/3/10!) http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61333

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Why would I step down to composite, when my original outputs S-video.

A video mod to an original console vs a cart slot mod to a repro console

meh.

Neato product for the masses though.
    ... for your gaming and iPod service needs http://www.oldschoolgamer.com/ For all your Video Game console and iPod upgrade/repair needs!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

They primised similar stuf with the original Flashback. I don't believe that the 2nd unit will be any better than the first - which sucked. Time may prove me wrong, but I doubt it...
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    "I seek strength, not to be greater than by brother, but to fight my greatest enemy - myself!"
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    Ozyr's Odyssey2 Archive!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

"They primised similar stuf with the original Flashback. I don't believe that the 2nd unit will be any better than the first - which sucked. Time may prove me wrong, but I doubt it..."

You're wrong.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arqueologia_Digital
    Cīmon!!!, not again!!!, another Flashback is not great...itīs only a little trick to f*/ the collectors imo...
    What leads you to believe that the Flashback was conceived as a way to screw collectors, as opposed to a way for "Atari" to cash in on its name-brand retro IPs?

-- Z.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Arqueologia_Digital's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by zmweasel
    What leads you to believe that the Flashback was conceived as a way to screw collectors, as opposed to a way for "Atari" to cash in on its name-brand retro IPs?

-- Z.
    I believe both, Atari want to cash in and screw the collectors at the same time...CDīs (PC Games), Flashback, the TV Game, and now...another Flashback???...really pathetic...

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by zmweasel

-- Z.
    I believe both, Atari want to cash in and screw the collectors at the same time...CDīs (PC Games), Flashback, the TV Game, and now...another Flashback???...really pathetic...
    So you're lumping Atari's PC (and console) retro-compilations into the screwing-collectors category, as well? Do you feel the same way about Activision Anthology, et al?

-- Z.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolGamer
    The Atari Flashback 2.0 promises to deliver the same gaming sights, sounds and action as the original Atari 2600. To ensure this authenticity, Atari has engineered the tools and code of the original games for reproduction on modern chip technology.
    But the Famicom is like 22 years old!

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolGamer
    Wim Stocks, Executive Vice President, Sales, Marketing, Licensing and Distribution. "Now, on the 30th anniversary of Pong -- the grandfather of all video games -- it is fitting that we begin to commemorate this milestone with the launch of Atari Flashback 2.0."

Missed by about 3 years there, Wim....

>PIC<
    [SIZE="4"]<< INSERT MESETA FOR SIGNATURE >>[/SIZE]

Yo Joe! Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    ladyjaye75
    PSN
    ladyjaye75

What's with the buttons on the consoles? Switches were too difficult to make? At least, this time, it won't be based on the NES processor... And the classic Atari joystick: great for right-handed people, but for lefties like me, it's not.

Anyway, we're not the target people for that, the target are people who had an Atari 20 years ago and haven't played it since the 80s. Not us who probably already have most if not all of these games.

Now, if there was a working cart slot out-of-the-box, I'd be more interested. But again, this is meant for the person who got rid of his Atari when he grew up or bought a NES or what not.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The buttons are kinda lame, but what's really lame is that it doesn't have a cart port even though it *looks* like it has one.
    [SIZE="4"]<< INSERT MESETA FOR SIGNATURE >>[/SIZE]