Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: SOLVED!! The great Genesis Model 1 comparison list

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Default SOLVED!! The great Genesis Model 1 comparison list

---NEWS UPDATE---

One of our forum's prestigeous game resellers, goatdan, seems to have "cracked the code" on how to determine if a Genesis Model 1 has the copyright screen at power up. It has nothing to do with the looks, what ports it has or even serial numbers.

It's the FCC ID code that gets placed on all electronic devices. Who woulda thunk it?

On the underside of the Genesis you should see a label that has "FCC" on it. The following are the two types of IDs that are on the Model 1's:

FJ846EUSASEGA: a system that has this ID does NOT have the copyright screen.
    FJ8USASEGA: a system that has this ID DOES HAVE the copyright screen.

So far this method of identification has been confirmed with my Model 1 machines, Evil E's and goatdan's (of course) but if there are any discrepancies please don't hesitate to post.

Thanks to everyone who participated and, provided there aren't any snafus, this could be entered into the FAQ books.

------
    Okay, I'm sure some of you know I've been on a crusade to find the original model 1 Genesis that does not have the "lock out" chip for non-licensed games (like Populous, Starflight, Onslaught, etc.). I tried using a Game Genie to circumvent the chip but some games (namely my favorite game Populous) may not work with the Genie.

Well, I was finally able to get my hands on one (thanks to The Goat Store) but I know there are others out there that would like to get an original model one but not want to have to play game system roulette when trying to find one. Out of many eBay sellers I've emailed over time on this I'd say 80% had no idea what I was talking about.

I'd like to ask the Genesis collector community for help in figuring out the physical differences between the chipped and non-chipped Model 1's and to create a lift of serial numbesr or at least a range of what are hopefully all non-chipped Model 1 Genesis systems.

Here's my idea of going through with this. Any comments/ideas/smart remarks are always welcome:

1. Check to see if your Model 1 system has the "Sega License" message that pops up on the screen whenever you power up with a cartridge. If it doesn't have that message, move on to....

2. Describe the looks of the console. What connection ports does it have (not including the controller ports and CD expansion port of course)? When I got my non-chipped system I compared it to my other Model 1 that does have the message and the non-chipped has a serial-like 9 pin port.

I also noticed my non chipped has the "High-Definition Graphics" wording above the cartridge slot and the Genesis logo is the black lettering which is surrounded by light grey filled border followed by the white octagonal border. So it might be good to list obvious markings/lettering.

3. List the serial number.

So to start out, here's my Genny Model 1 info:

Physical Attributes:
    -9 Pin Ext. port on back of system
    -is noticably heavier than my security-chipped Model 1
    -Has the words "High Definition Graphics" above the cartridge slot
    -Genesis logo: Has a grey octagonal shape on top of the white octagonal border. Chipped model 1 is an all white octagonal shape.
    Serial #: 39W28536

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

AFAIK, it's just the 9-pin 'EXT' port and the "High Definition Graphics" text that was different (externally, at least).

First-run PAL Mega Drives would also run the early unlicensed games and had the EXT port (though no "High Definition.." text).
    Like in the US, later revisions removed this.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I edited my parent post (looked a bit egotistical, seeing as how this is a community effort) and got my Genny Model 1 info added.

Good hunting all!

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Vulcanjedi

Default differences

Hey

There are differences in the circuit boards also. The original has heavier shielding and the power part of the circuit is a seperate little board with a heavier heat sink.

VJ

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wow didnt realize the demand for these. I still have my original Genesis I bought the first day it came out!

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have one aswell. I didnt realize it was the prefered model.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i have a genny 1 with the 9pin expansion port, "High Definition Graphics" on the circular part and it is heavy, but it still has a lockout chip

s/n: 020058252

somewhere between the past and the future
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This is going to be hell really.

After the "High Definition Graphics" was removed there were a number of circuit board revisions, most of which are not noticeable by simply looking at the system.

The three i know of:

Post lock out, switches used to region mod the system are lined up on the right side (facing the system)

Post lock out, and the switches are not grouped together making the region mod a bit more difficult.

Later Model 1 systems had all the hook-ups on the back moved inward (namely the AC plug). This version also suffers from bad audio problems. I bought mine in late 1992.

Possibility is infinity! You must be satisfied!

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces. -The Sizz

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Actually, I don't think games like Onslaught are effected by the lockout. I have a late model 1 Genesis and a model 2, and Onslaught and Double Dragon play just fine on both of them. AFAIK, it's only the early EA titles like Budokan and Zany Golf that won't run on later systems (unless you have a Game Genie).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by it290
    Actually, I don't think games like Onslaught are effected by the lockout. I have a late model 1 Genesis and a model 2, and Onslaught and Double Dragon play just fine on both of them. AFAIK, it's only the early EA titles like Budokan and Zany Golf that won't run on later systems (unless you have a Game Genie).
    I just assumed Onslaught as it was a non licensed game and the last time I played it was on my first Genesis I bought back in 1990. I haven't had the game since.

Also I ran into an issue where the Genie doesn't work on one EA game (Populous) while it worked on another (Starflight). I'm not sure if it's my particular console or what but it's possible other games may not work.

@Push: well there was hope that maybe there was something that could be a visual tip off if one was buying a store or garage sale (as most people are not going to want to or not able to pull the system apart to see the board). So basically all we have to go on is serial number.

It seems to be a mystery about the pre-lockout systems as the faqs, web sites and message boards I've researched mention the fact there is a difference but no one has really stepped up to figure out what's what. I figure with our vast community we can try to put together some sort of list to attempt to solve this puzzle.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The easiest & simplest way to tell is by the Model # on the sticker on the bottom of the unit - originals (no lockout, "Hi Def", EXT port) are #1600, while the later units (lockout, no text, no port) are #1601.

(edit: looks like this is just a rough guide rather than 100% definitive. )

If you're getting down to internals differences, I know there's at least 5 revisions of the PAL Mega Drive 2 board, and probably a similar number for the Mega Drive 1. I'd imagine the Genesis is the same.

For what it's worth, here the info for my units:

Genesis 1 - 1601 - no ext port, no text - 020409736

Mega Drive 1 (PAL) - 1600-05 - ext port, Hi Def text - 110000266

Also, I can confirm the Onslaught doesn't work in 1601 units (just bought it this week!)

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I recently had two Genesis 1 systems, one with the "High-Definition Graphics" text and one without, and I'm pretty sure both had the "Sega License" message at start-up.

I sold the one that did have the "High-Definition Graphics" text because I seem to recall that someone here said that the models without the text seemed to be a bit more rare.

ServBot (Level 11) Iron Draggon's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't think that there's any way to tell for sure. My system matches all of the indicators for a no-lockout board, but the board definitely has the chip. It shows the license text before booting up a game, and the only way that I can play Ishido or Onslaught is with a Game Genie. Every MD import that I've ever tried has worked just fine with a Game Genie as well, but I only have 2 MD imports. I believe that I have an EA box cart or two that will only work with the Game Genie as well, but I don't recall which ones they are. I know that it isn't Budokan, because I still don't have that one yet, but I assume that if I ever get it, all I'll have to do is use the Game Genie to get it to work, if it doesn't work without it. But Starflight works just fine without it, and so do all my other EA carts that came in the plastic cases. If I have any at all that only work with the Game Genie, they're the ones that came in the early cardboard boxes. I still don't have Populous or Zany Golf yet either though. The only EA box carts that I can recall off the top of my head in my collection are Battle Squadron and Swrod of Sodan. So one or both of those may only work with the Game Genie, but I believe that they work just fine without it too. I don't think that I have any of the EA box carts that may have problems. I believe that Budokan, Populous, & Zany Golf are the only ones. So the only carts that I have that I can only play with the Game Genie besides my two MD imports are Ishido and Onslaught. All my other Accolade games work just fine without it, but those two won't boot up without the Game Genie. All I see is a black screen without it. They do the same thing with my Nomad too, but they work just fine on it with the Game Genie. So as far as I know, all you really need is a Game Genie, unless there were some differences in Game Genies that may be the reason why those carts won't work with a Game Genie either. My Game Genie has a black label. The first ones had a gold label. So you may want to start comparing Game Genies too. It could just be that certain Game Genies aren't compatible either.
    You can't run with the big dogs if you pee like a puppy!

Get BIT!

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Maybe there are multiple versions of Onslaught, then? Seems unlikely, but who knows.

somewhere between the past and the future
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by YoshiM
    @Push: well there was hope that maybe there was something that could be a visual tip off if one was buying a store or garage sale (as most people are not going to want to or not able to pull the system apart to see the board). So basically all we have to go on is serial number.

Well, the only real thing to look out for as far as Gen 1 systems are the later systems that have all the hook-ups shifted about 1 in inward.

The early, EXT port systems and even some of the post-EXT port systems all have the AC plug on the far right (looking at the back of the system). This later Genesis with all the plug-ins moved inward has distortion in the music. I noticed some distortion when playing "Streets of Rage" (Level 6 music to be exact) but my other Genesis 1 systems do not have this distortion in the music.

The serial # for this distorted system is: A26300950

As far as the Game Genie bit...i have a gold label version and i have never had any problems with it playing import & older games.

Possibility is infinity! You must be satisfied!

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces. -The Sizz

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    GarrettCRW
    PSN
    GarrettCRW

Like chrisbid, a 1601-era Genesis with the EXT. port intact. The serial # is 020260275. I'm beginning to think that the first way to check for the lockout chip would be to see if the system is a 1600 (as opposed to the likely chipped 1601s).

Question: why didn't EA reissue their early games (particularly a popular game like Populous) once they scored the Sega license?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

my model 1:

-"high definition graphics"
    -EXT port
    -no licensed by sega screen
    -plays zany golf and pirate imports
    -SN: 39U92969
    -model no.: 1601

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

does the no lockout genesis play jap/pal mega drive games like 'mega man: wily wars' that have the 'protection' on them, without need for a mega key or anything like that?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by The Manimal
    does the no lockout genesis play jap/pal mega drive games like 'mega man: wily wars' that have the 'protection' on them, without need for a mega key or anything like that?
    No, the region-lock is seperate to the Sega license check.

Apple (Level 5) Lord Contaminous's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My Genesis has the "High Definition Graphics" and grey/white ridging in the Genesis logo just underneath the cartridge port.

It can play my copies of Master of Weapon and Japanese Herzog Zwei with no problem.