Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: How do you display your collection?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default How do you display your collection?

I am very envious and enjoy the pictures some of you put up of your Game Rooms. Since I am married with children and live in a small house my Game collection has long been sent to storage. In 10 years it has been sent to a coat closet which it outgrew. It was then sent to the garage and recently relocated to a storage unit 2 miles from my house. Currently my collection sits in stasis in 10 rubbermaid storage bins. When I catch a "find" on ebay, garage sale, or goodwill store the product usually gets sent to a new bin and will not be tested for a year or more. Every few months I pull one lucky Console out and play it for a few days. I have switched to collectiing hand held systems since I can still store those at the house (for now anyway). Anyway where do the rest of you keep your collections? Feel free to post pics...I can always dream...
    Aha! Now we see the violence inherent in the system!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Re: How do you display your collection?

Shh...don't give them any ideas...it's a secret to everybody...that I have some games, that is.

I have a small VCR tapes shelf that I bought last year (or was it late 2002?) that I've filled up the bottom shelf of with Neo Geo (and bigger) stuff, but I can't start putting bigger game boxes on higher shelves because then there would be a shelf too small to put enough stuff on. Sort of an issue with waste and the like.

Right now I've got a lot of stuff packed away in boxes; I don't even know where my Demo Kiosk (courtesy o' maxlords) Dreamcast is o_O

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Three Billy bookshelves from Ikea. With the glass doors and the shelf lighting. Looks quite respectable.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Sergeant Sega's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FSK BigHurt
    PSN
    ChiefofNorway

Quote Originally Posted by Parodius View Post
    Three Billy bookshelves from Ikea.
    Yeah, Billy bookshelves are the best, I always buy 2 extra shelves so you get the most out of it! It's totally worh it

All your oil are belong to U.S.

"Ai Oboete Imasu Ka?" Flashback2012's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sergeant Sega View Post
    Yeah, Billy bookshelves are the best, I always buy 2 extra shelves so you get the most out of it! It's totally worh it
    I just looked those up on Ikea's website. Those are pretty nice! If I ever get the money together, I just may redo my walk-in closet with those.
    "Ai Oboete Imasu Ka?"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    theCHUDscame

I used an old cabinet/shelf/drawer thing I had when I was a kid and everything which doesn't fit on there in some way (which is actually quite a few things) gets displayed on my dresser, my entertainment stand, my nightstand, on top of my TV... I should probably invest in more shelves.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've got all my games in a small spare bedroom. I used to use old bookshelves to store/display the games. But I've been building custom ones to replace them, so far I've got two built, but one still needs to be installed. If you have the skills or know someone who does, custom made shelves are the best way to go. The first one I made was built to hold DVD size games and boxed Genesis games, so it's very flexible as to what I can put in it. My new one is nearly all adjustable shelves so that I can move shelves around as my collection grows.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have a tall and wide 5 shelve cargo bookshelf that is two layers deep of games, except the bottom shelf which hold larger PC boxes and decks of cards. It holds about 700 games. Then I have a thin, cheap shelf unit that barely holds 200 cartridges that's 8 shelves high, spaced to hold my NES collection and a few dozen other carts from the 32X and VCS. I have a roll cart jammed with classic and modern PC games in moderate and smaller box cases, holding about 60 computer games. Off to the other side of the room there's a CD rack with another holding 40 CD cases of PC games from the 90's and some earlier 2000 titles. Under one of my beds are four long, plastic containers storing a few hundred N64, SNES, and Geness cartridges. Then there's the dresser that has a drawer for housing all my power and video cables, another two drawers holding another 200 Genesis and SMS boxed and complete games. A fourth drawer holds magazines and misc walkthroughs. One of my closets stores a few speaker systems and consoles not in use along with arcade sticks. In the bathroom I have a toy chest where I stash all of the controllers for every system, over 50 accessories, system mouses & their pads, guns, ect. On the table my TV stands on there's a small CD tower for TG-16 and TurboCD games, then there's a 50-disc tower on the ground filled with Dreamcast games. In the attic over the house I have several dozen of arcade boards stored in boxes and a supply of sticks and buttons. In the space above our detached garrage I have quite a few dozen marques, panes of glass for arcade windows, more controll switches and artwork, power supplies and so forth for building and refurbishing arcades.

When I move out I really need to build some custom shelves for my games + systems in a game room, then some more shelves in a barn/workshop to hold arcade goodness.
    [Website] [Gallary] [Games List] [DP Feedback]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    modest9797

Any tips on building custom shelves?
    Xbox Live : modest9797
    Games I Want
    PS1: 2% PS2: 0%
    Xbox: 42% GC: 18%

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by modest9797 View Post
    Any tips on building custom shelves?
    Think long and hard about what you want to use it for and then make sure it will hold more than what you currently have.
    If you want to go the ultra cheap route, find used wood. I'll get old solid wood (solid oak sometimes) dressers and bookcases from the trash. Cut pieces to fit my needs and then sand off any old finish and then refinish it to my liking.
    For around $20, you can build something that would cost hundreds new and will be of higher quality than anything from Ikea.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Nothing special, really. They're stacked up on shelves and some are in drawers due to lack of space.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

I custom built with the help of my father in law all shelves in a converted garage...With that being said, maybe you can work out a deal with your wife to find some space in the house to at least have SOME of your stuff to place. I too am married with a newborn son, so I know how those conversations about where to put game stuff can go! Here is the link to my gameroom pics

http://s268.photobucket.com/albums/jj28/swlovinist/
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I actually don't display my games.

I guess I'm not as serious about it as some. And even if I had a room spare, I wouldn't want to show off.
    "If each mistake being made is a new one, then progress is being made."

Banana (Level 7) kaedesdisciple's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    JOEY BLACKOUTS
    PSN
    JOEY_BLACKOUTS

Quote Originally Posted by Parodius View Post
    Three Billy bookshelves from Ikea. With the glass doors and the shelf lighting. Looks quite respectable.
    FTW! I have one with the glass doors to display the parts of my collection I use the most and for the combined DVD collection of my fiance and I. After getting it all together, putting in the extra shelves, putting on the glass doors and mounting to the wall, it looks great.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nebagram
    PSN
    Nebagram

My collection loves the bookcases. I recently salvaged some that were on their way to the bin and they currently sit on top of one of my chests of drawers, proudly displaying my PS2 collection. Reminds me- my own RoD probably could use an update at some point.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Deadpixels's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Imaginary Boy

Well, much of my collection is packed away in closets and in tons of plastic totes, but what I do have on display generally just dominates the majority of my living room. I use a handy 16 unit bookshelf from Ikea for most of my software that isn't packed away. Also, multiple other smaller shelving units round out much of my older cd-based and handheld collections.

Here's some pics and a vid of my current setup.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPuyb5_K8co

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Two $24 Sauder shelves from Sears Home Essentials. Guarded by X, Zero, and ZZ Gundam.

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

I am all full of the Ikea love. Benno CD/DVD towers are full of win and look pretty good to boot.

Most of my DS games as an example for you. I've also got all the rest of my modern stuff in these as well and they are great for limited space rooms.

Everything else back at my parents house is in Ikea Bookshelves (Billy's I presume). It's all about accessablily and quantity held.

PlayStation stuff (all double deep)

N64/Cube/Genny/GBA and a smidge of the PS2 stuff (all double deep)
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

Insert Coin (Level 0) Sergeant Sega's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FSK BigHurt
    PSN
    ChiefofNorway

@ Papastu: What kind of Lunar is the biggest box there?

I also use Benno shelves, but only for CD's, but they looked really good with games in them!

All your oil are belong to U.S.

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

Quote Originally Posted by Sergeant Sega View Post
    @ Papastu: What kind of Lunar is the biggest box there?

I also use Benno shelves, but only for CD's, but they looked really good with games in them!
    Uh Which one? There were 2 Lunar's on the PlayStation, both came in the Big outer boxes. The ones on the left are Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete. The one on the right is Lunar 2 Eternal Blue. The big box in the middle is Arc The Lad.
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog