View Poll Results: Do you give launch titles more love then the general releases?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, launch titles were the best, they are the true representation of a system

6 46.15%
  • No, I could care less about those crappy launch games

7 53.85%

Thread: Launch Games - Do they hold a special place in your heart?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Launch Games - Do they hold a special place in your heart?

Is there something about launch titles that hold a special place in your heart? Games that either came out the day a system was released, or within the first 6 months?

For me, I find myself more interested in these games.

To me, the launch games somewhat defined the system. Part of the reason, is that I bought many of my systems on the day that the system released. And of course, I also bought many games. I can remember for many of the systems, the launch titles were few and far between, so each game was given a chance to be a part of my collection.

The system would come out, with a handfull of games. Sometimes less than 10 titles. Or maybe about 13 or so games. Then a few more games would trickle out in the weeks to follow. And then in the first few months of the systems life, 5 or so games would come out a month. Usually there wasn't a tremendous assortment to choose from. Sometimes only one fighting game, only one driving game, only one football game, etc, etc.

So these games were given much more of a chance to shine. Plus was the fact that you were seeing for the first time, what this new Next-Generation hardware could do.

When the 32X first came out, there was a tremendous level of excitement to play games like Star Wars Arcade and Virtua Racing.

When the Super Nintendo first came out, everybody wanted to get their hands on games like Super Ghouls and Ghosts and Castlevania IV.

With the Genesis it was Revenge of Shinobi and Gaiares.

With the Playstation 1, everybody wanted Ridge Racer and Battle Arena Toshinden.

What launch titles do you remember with the fondest memories? Do you give extra credit to the lauch titles? Or do you consider all the games of the system to be judged equally?

For me, I give launch titles the benefit of the doubt, considering they were the developers first opportunity to try to work on that system.[/list]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

Being an avid collector of game sytems, I have a secret love for launch titles. Lauch titles can be catagorized with many different labels, however here are a few:
    The look what we can do games: These launch games show the power of a new system with snazzy special special effects. One that comes to mind is Fantavision for the PS2...man it sucked.

The quick release games: Games that come out for a system that are rushed just to beef up a launch. I think of Hydro Thunder for the Dreamcast. Good game, could have been alot better.

The Symbol of what is to come(or what isnt): These are games that probably were in production years and cost a bizillion dollars. These games are the hook line and sinker to get people to buy the system. Every sucessfull launch usually has one. Examples are Super Mario Bros( Nes), Mario 64( Nintendo 64), Soul Calibur( Dreamcast) and Halo(Xbox). These are to just name a few. The funny thing is, some of these launch titles were never outdone by second or third generation releases!

I love to collect launch titles for every system. It would be nice to have a list of launch titles for every system with the date it came out. Is there such a place????
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I like launch titles for the pre-16 bit systems. Nowadays, a standard format exists for the packaging/design of all 3 home systems (dvd case, brand logo, etc). Back then, each system had it's own form of packaging, cover layout, cartridge label, etc. And these things usually went through various transformations over the life of the system. But the launch titles represent the 'vision' or direction that the company was initially trying to take with their new console. I love all the diversity of those old consoles. For example: launch NES titles were all black-box with pixelated artwork with the name underneath. Imagine if all 800 games would've followed the same format! Or if 2600 games had continued to be released in gatefold boxes and matte-black labels. With launch titles, you can see what statements (about a console's quality, technological advances, etc.)that these companies were trying to make.

The current generation is too uniform. A rut has formed that is cut deeper with every passing release.
    "And remember ladies: if it ain't tight, it ain't right!"

Great Puma (Level 12) Gamereviewgod's Avatar
    Toledo, Ohio and likely writing a review.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gamereviewgod
    PSN
    Gamereviewentity
    3DS Friend
    3136-6571-2996

NAM-75.....nuff said.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think the "no" answer here is too strong! I would say that they don't hold a special place in my heart any more than other games, but I wouldn't say they're crappy either.

Actually, the yes answer is a little too strong as well. Someone might just like them a little more but not think they are the true representation or something.

Keeper of the Terror Mask
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    therealdire51

Gaiares wasn't a Genesis launch title. It didn't come out until almost a full year after the Genesis was released... possibly even a little later than that.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dire 51
    Gaiares wasn't a Genesis launch title. It didn't come out until almost a full year after the Genesis was released... possibly even a little later than that.
    Yeah, I know that Gaiares wasn't a lauch title, but it did come out in the first year of the systems existence.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

the only one I hold undying respect for is Dynasty Warriors 2.
    scooterb: "I once shot a man in Catan, just to watch him die."

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Steam
    calthaer

Launch games are only desirable if they are also good games.
    You are startled by a grim snarl. Before you, you see 1 Red dragon. Will your stalwart band choose to (F)ight or (R)un?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I love launch games! It is not extremely rare to find a good launch game, those are usually the one being developed by the first party company. the top tier ones are the ones for me! (Did that make sense? It sounds weird)
    I like monkeys...and poop...and monkeys that poop...and play video games

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by calthaer
    Launch games are only desirable if they are also good games.

I even like checking out the crappy ones, if the lauch only had a handfull of games. If the launch had tons of games, like the PS1, then yes, I really only care about the qualtiy ones.

But for me, now being into these older games, as I go back and look at these older systems, I find myself more interested in the earliest releases for these systems.

I don't know what it is that has me so much more interested in the early titles, but for whatever reason I'm hooked.

I think it's like I described above. The early games on a system seem to give a "real" flavor to the system. Later on, as developers start to really get to know and understand the hardware, it seems that the games are less platform specific, and they are very close together in terms of feel. I'm talking about games that are released for numerous systems late in those systems lifespans.

Early on in a systems life, the developers are just getting to know a system and just starting to get a feel for it. It just has a more "authentic" flavor to me.

I know I must sound somewhat crazy, but that's just how I feel about it.

I still love the other great games that come way after the lauch period, but the launch games seem a little bit more special to me.