3DS Friend
    1805-3053-7836

Default i need a game.com emu

if anyone knows of one post the link here

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I was just wondering why someone hasn't made one of those yet. (I mean, in theory, if you sped up the emulation you could make Sonic Jam somewhat enjoyable, right?)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Heh... I was talking with someone a while ago that was wanting to make one, but the problem is that almost the entire system is made up of blob chips... so it's hard to get some technical info from it... and the ROMs on the carts are blobs too, so finding the pinout is VERY hard... it is funny that you ask though, I actually bought one two weeks ago, and I pulled it apart and started figuring out the hardware. I don't think I'll write the emu, but maybe I can help the other person with it (and dump some games to disassemble and learn more). I've got the ROMs connected to my logic analyzer, and hopefully when I find some time, I'll finish the pinout and start dumping ROMs...

DogP
    Virtual Boy Lives @ Project: VB

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DogP
    Heh... I was talking with someone a while ago that was wanting to make one, but the problem is that almost the entire system is made up of blob chips... so it's hard to get some technical info from it... and the ROMs on the carts are blobs too, so finding the pinout is VERY hard... it is funny that you ask though, I actually bought one two weeks ago, and I pulled it apart and started figuring out the hardware. I don't think I'll write the emu, but maybe I can help the other person with it (and dump some games to disassemble and learn more). I've got the ROMs connected to my logic analyzer, and hopefully when I find some time, I'll finish the pinout and start dumping ROMs...

DogP
    Let me know if you want some help, if you guys decide to go forward, I recently started puling as much tech info as I could on the system....for the purpose of attempting to make an emulator, simply because it hasn't been done yet. But info is hard to come by since there was alot of proprietary stuff in it.
    feitctaj !

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, I know exactly what you mean... I think the system might actually be fun on a real screen instead of the blurry LCD that they give you...

I'm assuming that you've taken a look at the patent? I also found a PDF with some info on the CPU, with CPI counts and the full instruction set. Lemme find the links, and I'll post them just in case you haven't seen it.

DogP

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Here's the link to the patent... http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-P...AND+hand-held) , you should probably look at the images instead of the text, since it's a lot more helpful... and the datasheet for the CPU is on this page: http://www.dialelec.com/d.asp?x1=QSJ...=86&X3=370.3KB . Heh... it would have been nice if they gave the CORRECT pinout for the ROM in the patent though :P .

DogP

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Deftonian
    PSN
    Detonian90
    3DS Friend
    1805-3053-7836

the reason im asking is becuase im doing the screenshots for dp guide advance, it well with the shit quality of the gam.com it would be hard to take a snap shot

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Dude, cool. If you guys can start to put together a Game.com emu, maybe someday we can play Metal Gear Solid and CV: SotN on the Game.com!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

! yeah, that would be kinda tough to get a good screenshot... maybe stick it on a scanner? :P .

DogP

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The best way would probably be to get one of the backlit models, go in a very dark woom, and then take a pic with a high resolution digital camera without the flash. That's the only think I can think of that might look decent.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Deftonian
    PSN
    Detonian90
    3DS Friend
    1805-3053-7836

hmm im gonna try the scanner, hopefully u guys can make the emu

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DogP
    Here's the link to the patent... http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-P...AND+hand-held) , you should probably look at the images instead of the text, since it's a lot more helpful... and the datasheet for the CPU is on this page: http://www.dialelec.com/d.asp?x1=QSJ...=86&X3=370.3KB . Heh... it would have been nice if they gave the CORRECT pinout for the ROM in the patent though :P .

DogP
    Cool, Thanks, I've looked at the patent a bit, , the PDF I was tracking down was a general SM85xx tech doc. but dead links everywhere I looked, but this one is great

@slipdeath : I dunno if it would be a quick project at all, but DogP may know a bit more there
    feitctaj !

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Um... What are "blob chips"? I'm thinking chips encased in blobs of epoxy, but that's probably not right.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, I doubt it'll be a quick project... heh... is anything ever quick? :P But yes, you're right, blob chips are just the chip internals directly connected to the board with a blob of epoxy on it... like these... .

DogP

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There already is a game.com emulator. Handheld Games Inc., the developer of Frogger, Centipede and other unreleased game.com titles developed PC development software that must emulate the hardware. Go to www.handheldgames.com and look in 'all products'. They sure aren't using it to make games anymore. Maybe they would release it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zaxxon
    There already is a game.com emulator.
    wow, how did you know about that?
    feitctaj !

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Woah! That is cool! Maybe I'll have to drop them an email and see if they still sell it, and for how much (or if I can have a free "trial" ).

DogP

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TheSmirk
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaxxon
    There already is a game.com emulator.
    wow, how did you know about that?
    I probably found their address in one of the game manuals years ago or
    when using a search engine to find info on the unreleased games. IIRC, way back then they had a screenshot of the game.com development environment running on a PC, before they redesigned their website. BTW, Metal Gear Solid, and IIRC Deer Hunter, Red Alert and maybe another one, were actually in a playable demo form at the last E3 Tiger was at. My brother made a point to seek out their E3 booth and played MGS briefly. I told him to scam the carts out of the display units. It was already beyond the point where everybody knew these games were probably never going to be released. He said they had them screwed down to a stand like GB display units, with plexiglas shields over the cart port so it couldn't be removed. Bummer He probably would've scammed them when they weren't looking. Now the world will never be able to enjoy MGS goodness on their game.coms due to those damned anti-theft devices. How dare they!

If you're looking for an unemulated system to emulate, do the 16 bit Tomy Tutor before the doing the game.com please. It looks like it has some fun, exclusive games and arcade ports and they're in color, whoopee! and I don't wanna pay $30 a piece for the JPN import carts.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The Tomy Tutor? That's just a TI-99/4a, I believe, and there's already a specific emulator for it:

http://www.floodgap.com:80/retrobits/tomy/

(Well, technically, it might be a simulator. 99er.net used to have more information.)

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, there's strong hardware similarities but you can't run the TT software on a 99'er and vice versa. The sim on that page won't run any software, just boots to BASIC and is written for the C-64.