Thanked in
    0 Posts

ugly console,damn

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    There was a Super Mario All-Stars Disc included in Japan?
    I don't know, it's being sold over there as a standalone retail release but I have no clue about any console bundles in Japan.

"Ai Oboete Imasu Ka?" Flashback2012's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Oy now I'm torn. I had my heart set on a Black Wii since they announced them but I might have to go for this. I too find the red to be a little unsightly, but, assuming this is the same price as the regular black and white Wii systems, then I'd rather pay $200 for that with New Super Mario Bros. Wii instead of Wii Sports Resort.

Oh the conundrum.
    "Ai Oboete Imasu Ka?"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

If you have any interest in the Wii Sports line, it's going to be cheaper getting the bundle with Wii Sports and Wii Sports Resort and buying New Super Mario Brothers seperately.

Buying a standalone version of Wii Sports Resort is $50 and Wii Sports used is over $10 at GameStop.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

I was hopping Nintendo would release the Mario All-star like they did for Japan & Europe.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post
    If you have any interest in the Wii Sports line, it's going to be cheaper getting the bundle with Wii Sports and Wii Sports Resort and buying New Super Mario Brothers seperately.

Buying a standalone version of Wii Sports Resort is $50 and Wii Sports used is over $10 at GameStop.
    Both bundles come with Wii Sports, so it comes down to Resort vs NSMB (and color, of course).

I kinda dig the red one, but these are Wiis, so I can't imagine them ever being hard to find later on. I just read that Super Mario All-Stars is being released on disc here in NA, and for some reason that kinda makes me want the Red Wii more. Really wish they'd replace Wii Sports (or NSMB, even) w/ All-Stars in the 25th anniversary bundle. I'd definitely pick it up then.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ScourDX View Post
    I was hopping Nintendo would release the Mario All-star like they did for Japan & Europe.
    Nevermind, they are releasing it

Source

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Cornelius View Post
    Both bundles come with Wii Sports, so it comes down to Resort vs NSMB (and color, of course). Really wish they'd replace Wii Sports (or NSMB, even) w/ All-Stars in the 25th anniversary bundle. I'd definitely pick it up then.
    Thanks, that slipped right by me.

Super Mario All-Stars is just going to be $29.99 though, so you're better off with Wii Sports Resort or New Super Mario Brothers in a bundle since they're $49.99 games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Anyway, meh. It's a new color. If it was available at launch it would have been cool, but what's the point of releasing Black and Red this year? I'm not going to go rush out and buy a new black or red Wii to replace my white one.
    You would be surprised at how many people do exactly that.

More specifically, they trade in their old console for the new.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by ScourDX View Post
    Nevermind, they are releasing it

Source
    Great news!!! I was going to buy it from Europe but now I don't have to

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    DT Maniac

I actually kind of dig the color although it will stick out like a sore thumb in my entertainment center. I don't have my own wii, my brother does, but with the release of goldeneye I will get this and can sell NSMB and wii sports if I want because my brother already has both. I can see why some would be disappointed without the 25th super mario, but I would probably never play it anyways.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lanzo View Post
    I actually kind of dig the color although it will stick out like a sore thumb in my entertainment center. I don't have my own wii, my brother does, but with the release of goldeneye I will get this and can sell NSMB and wii sports if I want because my brother already has both. I can see why some would be disappointed without the 25th super mario, but I would probably never play it anyways.
    If you don't mind me asking, what's the appeal of Goldeneye? The previews I have seen so far make it appear less than impressive and a shadow of the amazing N64 game.

Yo Joe! Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    ladyjaye75
    PSN
    ladyjaye75

I wonder how close it is in color to the red Xbox 360? I could imagine having both in my living room (I already have the RE5 360)... at least they'd match. :P

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    DT Maniac

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    If you don't mind me asking, what's the appeal of Goldeneye? The previews I have seen so far make it appear less than impressive and a shadow of the amazing N64 game.
    You're right. I have seen a few previews and there's nothing very impressive. The graphics are shit, and gameplay doesn't look overly amazing. But the game had such an impact on me as a kid that not buying the game isn't an option. I'm very skeptical that the game won't actually be any fun. On the other hand, some of the stuff I've seen makes me excited. I like the fact that it is a remake and it doesn't look like they changed it to the point where it's a different game. Maybe it's an excuse to buy a wii, or maybe I'm just hoping for that feeling that I used to have when I played the game. I wish it was made by infinity ward and for 360 but I just hope for the best.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

No one seemed to care about the fact that Donkey Kong came preinstalled on the European release of this console. I think everyone just assumed it was a preinstalled Virtual Console freebie of what is already available for anyone to download for $5.

It's come to light though though that this is something different. It's titled 'Donkey Kong - Original Edition' and it appears that missing intermissions and the pie factory level have been restored to the original NES release (I don't think it's known if this is material programmed 25 years ago and left off due to space limitations, or the result of modern programming to modify the NES rom).

Here's a video of it in action.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeXz_...ayer_embedded#

Let's hope this comes to the North American Virtual Console, or is bundled with Donkey Kong Country Returns in the coming weeks. I can't imagine they've taken this effort and it's just going to stay as a bonus on a special edition console in Europe. And if it's still a NES rom, I wonder how long until someone extracts the information and we start seeing it spread around the internet for use in NES emulators, PowerPaks, and reproductions.

Also, Japan, New Zealand and Australia's white and red Wii's include 'Super Mario Bros. 25th Anniversary Edition'. It's basically the Virtual Console download preloaded on the Wii, with the question blocks hacked to change them to 25 to represent the 25th anniversary of the release of SMB. Nothing too exciting, but it's still interesting.

It would've been more exciting to have seen the original arcade release of Donkey Kong emulated finally on home conoles and Vs. Super Mario Bros. But sadly, Nintendo continues to pretend they were never in the arcade business and are leaving these assets idle.

Hopefully we'll at least get this modified NES version of Donkey Kong.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 11-13-2010 at 11:20 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I wish the red Wii had the power-ups and anniversary message embossed on it like the red DSi XL bundle does. Not that I'd be trading in my Wii, as it's chocked full of VC/WiiWare goodness. Still, that small touch would make it more lust-worthy.
    Last edited by SpaceHarrier; 11-14-2010 at 12:30 AM.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SpaceHarrier View Post
    I wish the red Wii had the power-ups and anniversary message embossed on it like the red DSi XL bundle does. Not that I'd be trading in my Wii, as it's chocked full of VC/WiiWare goodness. Still, that small touch would make it more lust-worthy.
    Agreed. It does look like both the XL bundle and the Wii will be dirt common though, so chances are you'll be able to get it cheaper down the road which should make up for the lack of customization on the Wii. This is the first time I have ever seen so many retailers carry "limited edition" handhelds and consoles. In fact, Costco is carrying the Mario DSi XL in large quantities in store which is a first for them on any kind of limited edition. Add to this the fact that there is yet another set of DSi special holiday bundles coming out at many retailers for Black Friday and I suspect we will still see these in stores for at least the next year or so which should be long enough for at least an official price cut.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post
    It would've been more exciting to have seen the original arcade release of Donkey Kong emulated finally on home conoles and Vs. Super Mario Bros. But sadly, Nintendo continues to pretend they were never in the arcade business and are leaving these assets idle.

Hopefully we'll at least get this modified NES version of Donkey Kong.
    This article explains why we'll most likely never see the original arcade version:

http://gdri.smspower.org/wiki/index....gami_Tsushinki

The Gentleman Thief Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    BalooDP
    Steam
    baloorj

Quote Originally Posted by shoeshot View Post
    This article explains why we'll most likely never see the original arcade version:

http://gdri.smspower.org/wiki/index....gami_Tsushinki
    But there was an arcade-perfect port in Donkey Kong 64.

And in that video, the music is slowed-down for some reason...but why hack the NES version of Donkey Kong just to add intermissions and the Pie Factory level with the same graphics? Rather mind-boggling.
    Last edited by Baloo; 11-14-2010 at 07:42 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

And in that video, the music is slowed-down for some reason...but why hack the NES version of Donkey Kong just to add intermissions and the Pie Factory level with the same graphics? Rather mind-boggling.
    This is PAL slowdown from being converted from a 50hz recording to a 60hz one for YouTube. Just start a NES emulator up, load Donkey Kong and switch the system's region from NTSC to PAL to see what I mean.

Also, weren't there more sound effects on the pie factory level? This might be proof of near-complete code from 1982(3?) after all.

EDIT: Speakers weren't loud enough and the PAL conversion muffled the "dun duh-duh" backbeat. Still, a disassembly of this might prove someday whether or not it's the original code. Time can only tell.