Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Possible NES Capcom protos?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Possible NES Capcom protos?

I saw the recent topic about a Snow Bros. proto, and it looked really similar to a couple of carts I've had for a long time. Granted, it might not be anything special, but it's at least worth asking.

First, pics of my own Snow Bros. cart. Pretty similar to the other one, aside from the shipping info still attached to mine. Forgive the massive images, by the way; I'm on a spare PC right now, and don't have Gimp here to scale them.

Front: http://img690.imageshack.us/img690/8...wbrosfront.jpg
    Back: http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/3...owbrosback.jpg

And another game, Tale Spin, that looks close as well.

Front: http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/4...espinfront.jpg
    Back: http://img688.imageshack.us/img688/9...lespinback.jpg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Those are protos

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Do they feel heavier than a regular cart ? Open them to see if there's any EPROM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Pop 'em open, the boards are the best way to tell. The stickers look promising, but can also be easily faked.

Even if you don't have a bit, the Talespin has standard flat head screws. Lets see the insides.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

They certainly look the part. Snap a pic of the TS PCB and we'll have a sure answer for you in seconds.

You don't happen to recall where you purchased the games in the first place, do you?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BeaglePuss View Post
    You don't happen to recall where you purchased the games in the first place, do you?
    I do; in fact, that's part of why I asked. My father wrote for the paper doing software reviews during the late 80's and through the 90's. As a result, we ended up with quite a collection of software. I'm certain that these were sent to be reviewed, hence the shipping label on Snow Bros.

Alright, here's a pic of the Tale Spin board. Even I can see that it's not quite normal, but what can you guys tell me?

http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/5...espineprom.jpg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NaturalChemical View Post
    I do; in fact, that's part of why I asked. My father wrote for the paper doing software reviews during the late 80's and through the 90's. As a result, we ended up with quite a collection of software. I'm certain that these were sent to be reviewed, hence the shipping label on Snow Bros.

Alright, here's a pic of the Tale Spin board. Even I can see that it's not quite normal, but what can you guys tell me?

http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/5...espineprom.jpg
    Yep, that's 100% positively a prototype. Congrats on the find! As a result I have no doubt that your Snow Bros. cart is also a prototype. The long board and EPROMS (with Capcom stickers to boot) look just like all of my Capcom protos.

If you have any interest in selling the Tail Spin prototype I would love to make an offer on it. In the meantime, enjoy your find!

As a point of reference, the last Snow Bros. prototype was sold on here for $200 (to myself).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I am also interested in the Tale Spin prototype, should you decide to sell it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Bidding war!!!!11!!!!1
    Quote Originally Posted by TRM View Post
    I am also interested in the Tale Spin prototype, should you decide to sell it.
    @TS: You should give Snow Bros a spin and see if it's any different than the released rom. I know that there's at least one Snow Bros. prototype out there that's different than the retail release.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BeaglePuss View Post
    Bidding war!!!!11!!!!1
    I wish we could. After the seller told me the game was for sale and that I could make an offer, he then recanted after I made an offer and said that someone else had made an offer at the same price, and that I would then be unable to buy it, even if I raised the price I was willing to pay, etc. Never heard of that kind of service before, must be some new technique or something.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

No, you made an offer and I declined, saying that you were too late. Perhaps you inferred the rest once your chances of owning the game were gone.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

No, you made an offer and I declined, saying that you were too late. Perhaps you inferred the rest once your chances of owning the game were gone.
    Sorry my friend, that is not exactly how things went.

1) I sent you a PM telling you that I was interested in the game, you responded and told me to make an offer.

2) Within twenty minutes I had an offer made, you respond and tell me that you sold it to someone else for that same price.

3) I respond back and raise my price, and you tell me that it is too late, you are not willing to consider my offers, since you promised it to someone else, despite the fact that you told me that the cartridge was for sale and that I could make offers on it anyway.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I told you to make an offer. You seemed pretty confident that I'd accept, so it's no surprise that you're still at this. I declined your offer in favour of another one. There is no malice or trickery here; strictly business. Perhaps it is old-fashioned to stick to an agreement that one has made; you certainly seem to think so.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I told you to make an offer. You seemed pretty confident that I'd accept, so it's no surprise that you're still at this. I declined your offer in favour of another one. There is no malice or trickery here; strictly business. Perhaps it is old-fashioned to stick to an agreement that one has made; you certainly seem to think so.
    Well looking back through the messages, just telling you that I have not purchased any prototypes for awhile, but would offer $150 for it, is a display of confidence? I am not sure from where you are getting this idea.

In your reply message to my offer, you clearly stated that the other party had told you that he was interested in purchasing the game as well, although you had not heard back from him for awhile. The case being such, you told me that I could make an offer, which I did. A few minutes after my offer, you tell me that the original party made the same offer as I did and thus you would not accept my offer. I raised it, and you told me that you were only going to sell to the original person.

Perhaps it is old-fashioned to stick to an agreement that one has made; you certainly seem to think so.
    I find it quite amusing that you keep acting as if I am some unethical snake who wants the game at any cost. The fact of the matter is that you told me (after I sent a PM) that you were selling the game and that if I was interested, I should make an offer. People who are sticking with their initial agreements don't go looking for other offers, just like people who aren't cheating on their spouses don't go sneaking around and renting hotel rooms with other men/women.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TRM View Post
    Well looking back through the messages, just telling you that I have not purchased any prototypes for awhile, but would offer $150 for it, is a display of confidence? I am not sure from where you are getting this idea.
    Yeah, I think it was when you told me, not asked me, repeatedly that I was going to put it up for auction because you didn't have a chance to buy it. You really need to work on your people skills; making demands doesn't make friends.

I find it quite amusing that you keep acting as if I am some unethical snake who wants the game at any cost. The fact of the matter is that you told me (after I sent a PM) that you were selling the game and that if I was interested, I should make an offer. People who are sticking with their initial agreements don't go looking for other offers, just like people who aren't cheating on their spouses don't go sneaking around and renting hotel rooms with other men/women.
    I took a look at both offers, and determined that between the original seller's offer and the way he presented himself, that it was the way to go. I declined your offer, and then you began to explain that it was unfair that I didn't accept your offer. Remember, I said that you should make an offer on it; I never agreed to sell it to you. I think maybe that's where your train of thought is derailing.

If you're interested, though, the Snow Bros. cart is still available. Feel free to make an offer on it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just as an unbiased 3rd opinion, it's kind of sketchy to tell someone to offer on it and then not give them a chance to reoffer before selling?

99% of people don't offer their highest price first, it's called negotiating. If you already had a feel that you were going to accept the other person's offer, then don't waste the new guys time with telling him to offer on an item that is basically already sold.

Just my .02, carry on.
    WTB Clayfighter Sculptor's Cut Manual Only... PM ME!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, I think it was when you told me, not asked me, repeatedly that I was going to put it up for auction because you didn't have a chance to buy it.
    My friend, I believe that you need to work on your memory skills as well as your honesty. It is fun to try to paint a picture a different way, but if we both go through and look at the personal messages which were written, two things become painfully obvious.

1) I made a higher offer in my third message to you, after you explained to me that it was "bad timing" on my part (in regards to my offer), since the other interested party had spoken to you briefly about it previously, and that therefore since the offers were the same, you said you were going with their offer. What you told me then is different then what you are now claiming transpired. Perhaps it is just bad memory on your part, or perhaps this is just a bad attempt to paint yourself in a prettier light.

2) I never demanded that you put the game up for auction, however, I did suggest that I felt this to be an option that would be more fair for all parties who were interested in purchasing the game from you.

As I have mentioned to you privately, I understand that these things happen sometimes. People display an interest in the item, you don't hear back from them for a few days and begin to wonder if they are going to flake or not, and another interested party comes in so you tell them to make an offer, then the original party slips in and grabs the item when person 2 is trying to negotiate a sale. It happens, and there really isn't a good resolution for buyer 2, who loses out due to the seller making a mistake, not confirming that the original deal isn't going to fall through. You even admitted in your pm that you screwed up, so please don't try to change your story on the public sphere.

Hence the reason that I suggested you just auction the game. Let's face it, when a situation like this occurs, one party feels screwed and that just isn't a good feeling. If I was the seller, you were buyer 2, I know you would be pissed off as well, if it was a collectable of a nature like prototypes. Telling buyer 2 that he is just sol doesn't make many friends either. With an auction, both buyers could have had a fair shot at the game, and who knows, maybe someone else would have wanted it as well.

As for Snow Bros. prototype, no thanks. I've never even played the released game, it doesn't have any value to me as Tale Spin does.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

I took a look at both offers, and determined that between the original seller's offer and the way he presented himself, that it was the way to go.
    I apologize for butting in, but I had to comment on that statement you made.

You should never judge a book by it's cover. Looks can be very deceiving. At the store, you can have a well dressed "gentleman", tux and all, and he ends up stealing behind your back...while a "messy" person (one that looks like a "bum", for instance) is the one that is most trustworthy and buys alot of merchandise. I see this every day at work, and I can achieve great sales from regular folk than those who seem "rich" and such.

From what I can gather (understand if you will), by the time TRM threw an offer, the NaturalChemical already had decided, even if it was via "best offer". My suggestion would have been to put a timeline (say until the next following day at 12:00pm Eastern) to see what would have been the highest offer. If NaturalChemist would have done this, I am pretty sure he would have gotten alot more than $150, probably even double or triple that.

Or he should have placed it on Ebay for massive money (from desperate buyers)
    Proud owner of a Neo 25 Neo Geo Candy Cab!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

True enough, kirby. TRM, why don't we agree to disagree, and in the future I'll try to be more careful and considerate about these things, hm? No sense in arguing over it at this point, wouldn't you agree?