Thread: Scott Pilgrim the Video Game is a stylish beat 'em up

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Scott Pilgrim the Video Game is a stylish beat 'em up

I haven't been following this Scott Pilgrim thing at all, though it does sound kind of cool from what little I know of it. But what's really cool is the trailer for the upcoming game:
    http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3...pilgrim/101185

Remember Paul Robertson's Pirate Baby's Cabana Battle Street Fight 2006? It's that. But apparently it's playable. And Ubi Soft is publishing.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Jorpho View Post
    Remember Paul Robertson's Pirate Baby's Cabana Battle Street Fight 2006? It's that. But apparently it's playable.
    I haven't been following this Scott Pilgrim thing at all, though it does sound kind of cool from what little I know of it. But what's really cool is the trailer for the upcoming game:
    http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3...pilgrim/101185[/quote]
    And Ubi Soft is publishing.
    Couldn't possibly be the kiss of death. Could it?

I can't hear the words "Scott Pilgrim" without wanting to kick a dog or throw a baby. I was once acquainted with an aspiring artist...don't think I need say much else, except thanks for knowing we didn't have enough low-quality art aspiring to be our secret confidant, Scott Pilgrim Creator Dude! Scott Pilgrim's eyes speak directly into our souls and tell us "buy a bunch of cheap shit." I can never shake the feeling that it's Garfield for the Nintendo generation (at least the generation that thought it was the Nintendo generation but was really the PlayStation and Xbox generation).

About the game: It's better looking than the source material would have suggested (and possibly better-playing, though it looks pretty generic from a gameplay perspective - but at least it has the Double Dragon basics, aside from the reverse kick from Renegade, and give me Golden Axe's specials over the strange guitar thing). This particular style of low-color, low-rez art always struck me as being cheap...which is fine given that this won't be on sale for $60. Too bad they can't hide Pilgrim's oversized eyes. The music doesn't really make sense either - everybody tasked with creating "console-style chiptune" music decides that the classics are all wrong and Amiga tracker music is the right sound. I'll leave it to the experts to guess why they didn't make it a platformer like Super Mario Bros III or something we could be expected to remember and cherish, and instead turn it into a grinding brawler that probably has the feel of something missing. (Just a wild guess on my part.)

I used to say that it was nice to know that the classics could always be joined by new efforts in the same style. I'd avoid saying "retro" because, well, you get all these wierd "what-the-hell-this-isn't-what-I-remember" distortions. It's like that second you're happy that the music video for "Land of Confusion" by Genesis is coming on, but then you realize it's the self-promoting, stupid Disturbed version instead.

Wholly irrational response, I suppose. If somebody can play this and say it's worth money...well, there's still a lot of stuff out there that's not trying to relentlessly brand a character on me that needs my attention (and money). Wailing trackeresque guitars and a checklist of "stereotypical awesome thing (hey is that Scott Pilgrim's GF as P2)" do not equal actual awesome. They equal the stench of having been focus grouped.

That is certainly all just my feeling - not even an opinion really - and I could be wrong.

Basically, forced "AWESOME! COOL & RAD HIPNESS" can piss off (I am a sucker for '90s style tongue-in-cheek RADICOOLITY though!) and Ubi Soft is obviously hurting. If you're going to make a full-on-"retro" game, prove you're serious by making it stand on its own legs, don't try to pass it off with a brand. It's kind of like how Konami's best games were often the ones nobody ever heard of under the Ultra Games label because they didn't abuse one of their main franchise names (Castlevania, Contra) to sell toxic slime (ha ha, another RADICOOL '90s reference! Except from what I can tell, both versions of Zen, Intergalactic Ninja were average to good.)
    Last edited by Ed Oscuro; 06-15-2010 at 09:43 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

look's like a good game

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

... Did Ed's account get hacked? o_O That rant almost sounds like a spambot-created rant!
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Myself personally i love the game, played the demo and bought it shortly thereafter. I have noticed it can be a little glitchy in spots with sound, but the retro style, combined with a beat em up style game was a no brainer. its 800 points as well which is less then I have spent for a lot more that got less play.
    You did what? With who? For how many cookies?
    Always looking for promotional materials and classic gaming commercials in print and video form
    my feedback-http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48618