Thread: Playing Saturn Netlink matches without a phone line

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Default Playing Saturn Netlink matches without a phone line

For simplicities sake I am going to re-post what I have been discussing on the Saturn Netlink League forums. I am hoping someone can shed some light on the task at hand...

For years I had wished there was a way to play Saturn Netlink games in the same room, on two separate TV's and not be required to pay for a phone line, let alone 2 phone lines. I wanted to find a way to play the Netlink games in similar fashion to the Saturn's and Playstation's Link cable games. I could just imagine playing a Duke Match against a friend in the same room.

A helpful individual (Warp2063) suggested that a "telephone line simulator" should do the trick. Just plug the Netlink phone line cables from both Saturns into the device and start a Netlink match. The Saturn should dial out to the box and the other Saturn should pick up and the game should start.

Here was Warps reply. As I don't own one, I've never actually tested it, but it should work, as long as it provides both a dial tone for the dialing Saturn and a ring signal to the waiting Saturn. All it does is pretend to be a real phone line. The main difference is that it doesn't care what number you dial, as there's only one other place for your call to go.
    http://www.hearmeclear.com/dle-200b.html
    There's the one I would buy, except I don't know if I want to dump $115 on it.

So I followed up and did a bit of research on the device. I found a review of the product on Amazon and with the specs listed on the page linked to above, It looks like it should work.

In North America, the standard ring cadence is "2-4", or two seconds of ringing followed by four seconds of silence. According to the review on Amazon this device does that amongst several other ring patterns. Here is everything they listed:

External DIP sets: Ring cadence (long-long, short-short-long, short long-short, 2-seconds on/4 seconds off), audio volume, and answer mode (immediate ringdown or 2-seconds of dial-tone followed by ringdown mode).

Also one of the features listed on the page above, was in fact... Connecting modems together. This really does sound like it will do the trick.

Has anyone here on DP tried doing this or have any suggestions or insight on the task at hand?
    If a god is willing to prevent evil, but not able, then he is not omnipotent. If he is able, but not willing, then he must be malevolent. If he is both willing and able, then why is there evil? If he is neither able or willing then why call him a god?

Insert Coin (Level 0) Windancer's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I want to play some netlink so bad. I now have digital phone service and it makes the games lag like crazy. I called our local phone company to hookup the analog back up and they wanted like a 125.00 service fee and 64 a month holy cow im paying 19.99 for digital so I guess no netlink ever again I used to love it!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Thats exactly why I want to know if the Telephone line simulator would do the trick.

I have 2 Saturns, 2 Netlinks, and 2 copies of each of the Netlink games save Daytona: CCE Netlink. This way my friends and I could setup in the living room and play Bomberman, Sega Rally, Virtual On, and Duke Nukem against each other on seperate TVs and not have to pay for an analog landline.

It would be so awesome!!!
    If a god is willing to prevent evil, but not able, then he is not omnipotent. If he is able, but not willing, then he must be malevolent. If he is both willing and able, then why is there evil? If he is neither able or willing then why call him a god?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I also have two Saturns and two netlinks. I actually bought them with the idea of doing this YEARS ago. At the time, I had 2 playstations linked, all 3 Neo Geo games that could be linked, even the Sega Genesis link cable and 2 copies of the game. Never did find a way to make the Saturn thing work though. PLEASE keep us updated on this!

Pretzel (Level 4) Orion Pimpdaddy's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

The newest post on this thread is 2007, but I got just a little bit to add. First of all, you may want to try e-bay for that phone device. Something tells me it sin't worth that much. You may see if any of your friends would be willing to split the cost with you for the sake of curiousity.

Second, I'd have to say you are attempting something that no one has ever done (most likely). I think the only way to truly know if it'll work is to take the plunge and buy the device. The potential downside is that you lose some money, but then you'll be free to explore other options (other devices, strategies, etc.). The potential upside is that you'll suceed and find something out that will benefit many, many gamers!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

A phone line simulator was the first thing that popped in my mind when I read the title to the thread. I don't see why it wouldn't work. That's what they're designed for. We have one at work for testing modem projects that we build.

There are some extremely simple schematics on this site but their simplicity worries me a bit.
    http://www.jagshouse.com/modem.html
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I second the eBay check. When I worked at Sears in the mid 90's, we used to have a phone simulators so that a person could test the quality of a phone that was on display or hear what the ringer sounded like. Dial a port, the phone would ring and a conversation could be held. I don't see why it couldn't be used to create a two-player connection.

Push came to shove, I wonder if there's a freeware "phone simulator" for computers? Dial-up modems are pretty cheap, get a couple of those and use your PC as Ma Bell if possible.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Don't know how much this would help, but there's a whole website dedicated to playing dreamcast games online, through it's modem port, which is connected to a computer which has internet.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Twitami View Post
    I also have two Saturns and two netlinks. I actually bought them with the idea of doing this YEARS ago. At the time, I had 2 playstations linked, all 3 Neo Geo games that could be linked, even the Sega Genesis link cable and 2 copies of the game. Never did find a way to make the Saturn thing work though. PLEASE keep us updated on this!
    Wow! It sounds like you were all about multi-screen gaming. I have played several Netlink matches and had a dedicated phone line to do so, but it got too expensive. If this works, you can bet I'll keep everyone updated!

Quote Originally Posted by Orion Pimpdaddy View Post
    First of all, you may want to try e-bay for that phone device. Something tells me it sin't worth that much.

Second, I'd have to say you are attempting something that no one has ever done (most likely). I think the only way to truly know if it'll work is to take the plunge and buy the device. The potential downside is that you lose some money, but then you'll be free to explore other options (other devices, strategies, etc.). The potential upside is that you'll suceed and find something out that will benefit many, many gamers!
    Thanks for the advice. I checked Ebay and they have the Viking model that I linked to earlier. It's brand new and half the price. I'm not sure what it will end at but I'm watching it closely and I'll snag it if the price is right.

Yeah it will suck if it doesn't work, but it's pretty exciting thinking of the possibilities. I'll keep my fingers crossed!

Quote Originally Posted by jb143 View Post
    A phone line simulator was the first thing that popped in my mind when I read the title to the thread. I don't see why it wouldn't work. That's what they're designed for. We have one at work for testing modem projects that we build.

There are some extremely simple schematics on this site but their simplicity worries me a bit.
    http://www.jagshouse.com/modem.html
    Awesome! Thanks for the reassurance and the link. Yeah it does seem to be a pretty simple schematic, but i'll keep it in mind provided the Viking Phone Line Simulator doesn'e work.

Quote Originally Posted by YoshiM View Post
    I second the eBay check. When I worked at Sears in the mid 90's, we used to have a phone simulators so that a person could test the quality of a phone that was on display or hear what the ringer sounded like. Dial a port, the phone would ring and a conversation could be held. I don't see why it couldn't be used to create a two-player connection.

Push came to shove, I wonder if there's a freeware "phone simulator" for computers? Dial-up modems are pretty cheap, get a couple of those and use your PC as Ma Bell if possible.
    Awesome! A man can never have enough reassurance! I have a bag full of modems. 9 or 10 probably. But the computer will be a last resort. I want the portability of a smaller device like the Phone Line Simulator so I could take the Saturns and TVs to a game room at a Convention.

Quote Originally Posted by CYRiX View Post
    Don't know how much this would help, but there's a whole website dedicated to playing dreamcast games online, through it's modem port, which is connected to a computer which has internet.
    Thanks for the heads up. But as far as I know that requires the Broad Band Adapter for the DC and is not an option on the Saturn. I do know that some of the guys at Saturn Netlink League were tossing around an idea like this, however.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Not completely the same, but I tried something similar a few years back..

http://www.segacollection.com/specials/duke3dtt.htm

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by c2000 View Post
    Not completely the same, but I tried something similar a few years back..

http://www.segacollection.com/specials/duke3dtt.htm
    DUDE! Thanks for sharing the link! That was awesome as I always love reading about stuff like this. It also gives me hope that what I'm going to try with the Phone Line Simulator will work.

It takes a lot of time, trial and error to test ideas like you did with the DSL line, but it's really cool that it worked. That's a pretty cool site too!

Insert Coin (Level 0) gumbyandpals's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've done just this. I have two saturns, two netlinks, and the necessary games. I connected them with a Viking line simulator and everything worked flawlessly.

I posted this on another board about a year ago:

I did split-screen on one tv just for the convenience of showing both systems running in one picture.

My Feedback: http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=117973

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

That's fantastic Gumby!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gumbyandpals View Post
    I've done just this. I have two saturns, two netlinks, and the necessary games. I connected them with a Viking line simulator and everything worked flawlessly.

I posted this on another board about a year ago:
    Your officially my hero Gumby!

That's awesome to hear that you got it working. Also, the Viking PLS that you are using in the picture looks like the exact same model that I am looking at buying.

Seems like I can rest assured that this will work now! Thanks for the info and pictures and hopefully next weekend I will be enjoying some phoneline free Netlink gaming!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Just wanted to update everyone and post a few pictures. My Viking Phone Line Simulator finally arrived. Like Gumby showed in his post above, you can infact play Saturn Netlink games without a phoneline with this device.

Everything worked perfectly the first try. There was no lag when the game ran and we played several matches and the connection never dropped. It's a stable hassle-free way to play Saturn Netlink matches without a phone line!

Here is the PLS in action. Once it starts to dial out it has a small internal speaker so you can hear it dial and the red "Busy" light comes on.

Here are some shots of the Saturn Hooked up to the PLS. The rooms were across from each other.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Thanks for all the info. I think this is wonderful and I'm now going to try it out. There's only five games you can do this with, right?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hell yeah, thsi is great news indeed! I am all over this soon. Awesome to see people taking these kind of chances and helping us all out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Thanks for all the info. I think this is wonderful and I'm now going to try it out. There's only five games you can do this with, right?
    Yep. Only 5 games were Netlink compatible.
    Daytona USA: CCE Netlink Edition
    Duke Nukem 3D
    Saturn Bomberman
    Sega Rally
    Virtual ON

Quote Originally Posted by T2KFreeker View Post
    Hell yeah, thsi is great news indeed! I am all over this soon. Awesome to see people taking these kind of chances and helping us all out.
    Thanks. I'm amazed it was so easy. The default position for the dip switches on the Viking PLS worked perfectly. I just plugged everything in and it connected no problems.

There is actually a variety of dip switch options that I would like to try out. In the instructions it said some of the positions would reduce line noise and help send data to modems quicker. So it might speed up the process when dialing and establishing a connection with the other Saturn.

Oh and just for reference I got my Phone Line Simulator off Ebay. It was new and after shipping it was $89.00. Since then I have seen a few different models of the Viking PLS go for around $60.00. But they were not the same model that I got.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

The newest post on this thread is 2007, but I got just a little bit to add.
    I was smoking weed when I said that.