Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Classic Gaming in Columbus Ohio??

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Classic Gaming in Columbus Ohio??

Stuck in Columbus this weekend. Does anyone know of any classic gaming related stuff
    ? Thanks in advance..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

There really isn't too much, imo. You can browse the web and hit up various game shops, but there are no deals to be had there. There's a few flea markets, but some of those retailers ask for ridiculously high prices. $50+ for Sega CD games, 10-30 for most common carts...

If you just want to go out, look at stuff and see what's there; then there's a few hours of entertainment to be had. Otherwise... .

I would love for someone to prove me wrong.

Also, would be sweet if someone could point me to a badass shop anywhere east of Columbus.

Ladd Spencer (Level 17)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Scooterb23

Probably the best spot in Columbus in just south of town in Grove City, place is called Video Games Express. Although I'm rather ticked at them personally right now, but you'll probably find good deals there (or have them make up BS prices out of thin air...).

North Side of Columbus has a couple "Play It / Trade It" stores, I sti8ll haven't made it into the stores myself, so I don't know how the classic selection is.

My favorite shop is Westpointe Video Games, obviously on the west side of town. Usually has a decent Genesis / SNES selection, and reasonable prices.

There are tons of thrifts around, but they have been video game poor for a couple years now.

As far as east side...it used to be all about Press Start Gaming in Reynoldsburg, but it turned more into a hang out that video game shop last time I was there. It has been a while though since I have been there.
    gamesandgrub.blogspot.com - My blog about boardgames, and sometimes food.
    roomwithaviewmaster.tumblr.com - My blog about Viewmaster collecting

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

in reynoldsburg, you have games on main, i just scored a boxed lynx 1 for 25 dollars there

in pickerington, there is a store called press start games ( i think thats the name) that is run by crazy burt's nephew, so there are a lot of similarities between that store and video games express

in hilliard, there is level one games, a little pricey, but a nice shop, they currently have a ton of famicom games for sale

there are two play-it trade-it stores, one in clintonville near henderson and high, and one off of polaris boulevard just west of polaris mall, they are worth checking out.

you also have several buybacks stores. the one at cleveland ave and rt 161 has a ton of stuff classic and modern to browse through.

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Sniderman's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you mosey north to Bucyrus, on the main drag is Stickman's videogames. He's got stacks (STACKS) of good condition, complete games from Genesis on up. And a handful of classic stuff like Atari (all systems), Sega CD, Saturn and other stuff. Don't bother if you think you'll score some uber rare stuff as the guy who runs it is savvy enough to toss those on ebay (no one in Bucyrus is gonna pay top dollar for old stuff - they want PS3 and 360 games). But a great place to poke around in none the less.
    Still Around...Still Gamin'...

Ladd Spencer (Level 17)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Scooterb23

*slaps self with trout* Why did I say Reynodsburg for Press Start? Good catch chrisbid, I meant Pickerington.

You also mentioned a couple places I've never heard of too, I may have to make a run sometime. That place in Bucyrus sounds good too, and I can go see the bird killing mural when I'm there.

http://www.roadsideamerica.com/tip/2565

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

stickman is great, but a bit far, if youre willing to travel an hour, hit up vacs 'n' vids in dayton and xenia

classic video games and vacuum cleaners, can you get any more hardcore?

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default hmmm...

There is also a Buybacks on Sawmill Rd. about a mile south of 270. They don't seem to have much, but you never know.

There is also one off of 270 at Georgesville Rd. (Exit 5 I think). They have a selection. I got Discworld for the PS1 (Good condition long-box) there a couple of weeks ago, but I rarely find anything rare there...prices on newer games can sometimes be lower than the Gamestop next door to it.

I haven't been on High St. in a long time but there has got to be a place selling old games....

Half Price books sometimes has old games but it may not be worth looking unless you have another reason to go in. There are four or five (six?) HPB's in the Columbus area
    now.

Video Games Express is also selling games on ebay at time (vgegames). They don't have an ebay store, and listings are random but I browse them because they are close enough for pickup. They have (Had) a collection of 661 different Genesis games on there recently...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    theCHUDscame

Quote Originally Posted by Sniderman View Post
    If you mosey north to Bucyrus, on the main drag is Stickman's videogames. He's got stacks (STACKS) of good condition, complete games from Genesis on up. And a handful of classic stuff like Atari (all systems), Sega CD, Saturn and other stuff. Don't bother if you think you'll score some uber rare stuff as the guy who runs it is savvy enough to toss those on ebay (no one in Bucyrus is gonna pay top dollar for old stuff - they want PS3 and 360 games). But a great place to poke around in none the less.
    I thought Stickman's was in Shelby...unless there's more than one, in which case: awesome. I still haven't been there, but my cousin who lives in Shelby has told me great things.

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Sniderman's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by theChad View Post
    I thought Stickman's was in Shelby...unless there's more than one, in which case: awesome. I still haven't been there, but my cousin who lives in Shelby has told me great things.
    Yes. Dammit. Shelby. Sorry. Dammit.
    Still Around...Still Gamin'...

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

blankblankblankblankblankblankblankblankblankblank
    Last edited by Blur2040; 12-30-2014 at 10:52 AM.
    Death to Bill and Ted!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

video games express used to be great because the prices were so cheap, burt couldnt keep the places in business :\ tatton and i probably kept the bethel road store afloat single handedly when we both used to work at micro center

yellow oasis is in the strip mall at henderson and kenny, nice import friendly shop, prices are a little high

another place not mentioned is trading zone at carriage place at bethel and sawmill road, but their prices arent great, and if you bring up a genesis box with the intent to buy a game, they wont sell the box

Ladd Spencer (Level 17)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Scooterb23

Quote Originally Posted by Blur2040 View Post
    Le Sigh...it used to be much better. Video Games Express used to be eeeeeeeeeevrywhere. I've never even actually been to the grove city store...I just assumed that it would go out of business like the rest of the stores.

Nobody mentioned Yellow Oasis games on Kenny Road (I think), though.

This thread has given me a few new places that I didn't know about, though.
    Yellow Oasis! Crap! I forgot about that store. It's not bad, almost solely modern stuff, plus you can even score a few imports if that's your sort of thing. Plus, there's an awesome little record shop in the same center (Ace in the Hole Records).

Trebuken - North High Street has one Play It / Trade It store (have not been to), the Niorth Campus has a Buybacks, and the Gateway has a Gamestop. That's about it afaik. Half Price Books are great stores, and can occasionally have decent stuff (I found an Elemental Gearbolt there for $10 once). There are currently 4 in Columbus (Lane, Bethel, High (across street from Graceland), and Brice.

Willing to travel a bit? Mt. Vernon has a very nice shop called Gamescape in a strip mall with a Kroger (I believe). Newark also has 2 former Trading Zones that have been switched to Gamescapes, but the main one is huge, and has selections from 2600 all the way to PS3. Even some board games and miniatures.

I kind of wonder if the Trading Zone in the old Brice Outlet Mall is still open, but I never go that way anymore...last time I went they were only open 4-9 PM.

You know, there's enough of us in this thread in the area...we should find a day, get together somewhere to play / trade some games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Man, the Trading Zone in Lancaster was my favorite store. Ever. The old guy who ran it was really generous and everything had a low price. Nes games were like $3 each or 5 for 10, IIRC. Genesis games were $5 I think. He ended up with a little bit of everything and was always worth the weekly trip.

I now occasionally hit up The Bargain Box in Zanesville where i live now. The store has a decent selection, but everything has ebay prices. $10-20 for Legend of Zelda, maaaaan. They do currently have a buy 3, get 1 free deal going on. NES games are $~4 for non-franchise games, snes is $~5.

They carry a little bit of everything. It's a combo store with games, movies, comics, and action figures. The staff has been fairly friendly and I was able to barter Once.

There's not much classic gaming action at all here in Zanesville. I do a round of the 2 good pawn shops (Hunters/Coin Mart), Good Will and Bargain Box, then call it a day. There are no good deals to be had in this town aside from the random Good Will find.

By the way, I guess it warrants mentioning the Video Trader ( http://bryansvideotrader.com/index.htm ) in Heath. The shop used to be ran by an older guy. It used to be a decent source, with even some random imports available for a decent price. I've visited it twice in recent years and it's been disappointing every time. Seemed like it went from a good game shop to a stoner's dream job.

Oh, dude, do you like Halo?

WHOOOAAAA

Sorry, I'm being mean. It just used to be an awesome store. XD
    Last edited by sfchakan; 12-21-2008 at 11:40 AM.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

blankblankblank
    Last edited by Blur2040; 12-30-2014 at 10:52 AM.
    Death to Bill and Ted!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I didn't know that Video Games Express is still open. I used to love the one in Gahanna, before it closed.
    Trading Zone... I know the owner of the chain moderately well, he is a nice guy, but he tends to overcharge (toward eBay highs). As mentioned before, you only get the boxes with purchases if they have extras in the back (sometimes I luck out, like the complete Spectre I got for SNES complete for $15).
    HPB has some good stuff every now and then (although someone must have "informed" them that Saturn games are "rare", they were priced over $40 one time, whereas NES games can be really cheap).
    Buybacks, at least on Sawmill, is not a very good place, except for an occasional deal or two. When I went in, I saw a large stack of SNESs at 45 each, and they wonder why they don't sell...
    Lurking since '05

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Whenever I'm going to travel anywhere, I check out the local craigslist ahead of time and make arrangements to meet with the people when I get there(ask for a phone number if you won't have email access). I just wanted to give a heads up as I think it's pretty useful. I find lots of great stuff through the local classifieds.

I just checked the Columbus craigslist now and found a great SMS bundle, if I was local I would try to buy it. It has an R7, three R6s, and plenty of games for a pretty low price(considering how many games are included).
    http://columbus.craigslist.org/tag/959219115.html

Game Gear Converter (to play Sega Master Games)
    and 25 Sega Master System Games For Sale. Also including a Sega Master System that has broken controller ports.

**2 Very Rare Games - complete w/ box & instructions**
    Golden Axe Warrior
    Montezuma's Revenge

Plus these 23 games:

Alien Syndrome (No Instructions)
    Aztec Adventure (No Instructions, split down side of label & case)
    Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse (No Instructions)
    Choplifter
    Columns
    Global Defense (not original case, has inlay)
    Ghostbusteres
    Great Football
    Galaxy Force
    Rampage
    Marksman Shooting / Trap Shooting (no box, no instructions)
    Maze Hunter 3-D
    Monopoly (No Instructions)
    Rambo
    R-Type
    Shanghai (No Instructions)
    Spider-Man
    Strider
    Time Soldiers
    Vigilante
    Zaxxon 3-D
    Zillion
    Zillion II: The Tri Formation

Games and converter are being sold in "As Is" condition. I don't have a Game Gear or working master System to try these on.

***For now I am only selling the games as part of a package. I will not respond to emails with low offers. Thanks for looking****

$75 cash only.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ice1605 View Post
    I didn't know that Video Games Express is still open. I used to love the one in Gahanna, before it closed.
    Trading Zone... I know the owner of the chain moderately well, he is a nice guy, but he tends to overcharge (toward eBay highs). As mentioned before, you only get the boxes with purchases if they have extras in the back (sometimes I luck out, like the complete Spectre I got for SNES complete for $15).
    HPB has some good stuff every now and then (although someone must have "informed" them that Saturn games are "rare", they were priced over $40 one time, whereas NES games can be really cheap).
    Buybacks, at least on Sawmill, is not a very good place, except for an occasional deal or two. When I went in, I saw a large stack of SNESs at 45 each, and they wonder why they don't sell...

buybacks uses a system called TAMS, that bases its prices off of an average price of amazon sellers. its a good system for the store in case an employee doesnt know something is valuable. but... if they get something without a barcode... lets say for example a loose copy of streets of rage 3, these things can end up in the 1.99 bargain bin winkwinknudgenudge

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default hmmm...

Is there a Video Games Express on Schrock Rd? Still...I thought this replaced the old Westerville store?

Also there is a new Half Price Books in Westerville...

In addition if you are on Bethel Rd. near Microcenter is a small Computer store that sells some games. Not much but I go in because they sometimes have some old PC games...

I've driven by Yellow Oasis any number of times and never hought to go in...next time...

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

blankblankblankblankblankblankblankblankblank
    Last edited by Blur2040; 12-30-2014 at 10:51 AM.
    Death to Bill and Ted!