Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how good are emulators

Peach (Level 3) ghostangelofcky's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default how good are emulators

been thinking about switching from the real thing to emu's. Was wondering what good ones for certain systems there are ie....

Jaguar
    3DO
    Turbografx
    dreamcast

also what are the flaws, poor sound, glitchy graphics

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ghostangelofcky View Post
    Turbografx
    dreamcast
    I don't spend too much time with FreeDO for 3DO emulation (you can find a compatibility list here) and my foray into Jaguar emulation was short lived, so I can't help much with those.

Dreamcast emulation is surprisingly alive and well, with excellent progress being made by Makaron, though Chankast is still the most popular (mainly because it was the first one to work fairly decently). I'm sure there's some decently accurate compatibility lists out there for Chankast if you google a bit.

For TG16 emulation, the two best emulators are Ootake and Mednafen. Mednafen suffers from the lack of a GUI, so if you don't feel comfortable dealing with the command line (it's really not that difficult, but I can understand why some people find it daunting), then give Ootake a look. While the GUI isn't the absolute bestest, it's fairly easy to navigate and its a ridiculously high quality emulator. Despite the lack of a GUI, Mednafen has a nice array of graphic filters that you can apply and also supports netplay. Ootake didn't like generating audio on my AC'97 chipset (which is cheap onboard audio that I shouldn't have been using in the first place...), but I haven't used it on that computer since mid-'06; it works peachy keen on my Audigy 2 (yes, I know, Creative Labs is teh devil...but onboard audio is leaps and bounds worse)

If you hate money, you can purchase Magic Engine, which has been around for a while, has a slick GUI and handles botched ROM dumps better (you know, in case you don't feel like finding a proper dump of a ROM and wind up downloading from a website that doesn't care about distributing bad dumps). Sadly, it suffers from noticeable input delay and its emulation isn't generally on par with that found in Ootake and Mednafen.
    Last edited by roushimsx; 05-11-2008 at 07:28 AM.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Zora Mystery's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't think we are supposed to be talking about emulators. Just warning you.

http://www.digitpress.com/forum/faq....asics#faq_roms
    NES pwns the current gen.
    Come see my NES collection

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zora Mystery View Post

Considering that nobody is asking for roms or ISOs, I think this is a legitimate topic. Emulation has many LEGAL applications, such as running the games you already own. Granted, the dumping equipment for carts isn't sitting in everyone's garage, and dumping ISOs of some formats can be rather tricky.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zora Mystery View Post

no rom talk, just emu's

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The faq points out that emu discussions can be closed, which I can understand. As far as copyright is concerned, a console bios is the same as a rom.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

well apparently this has turned into a is this thread allowed more than what the org thread was about

So just close it

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The only one of the mentioned systems that I've tried to work with is TG, and CD at that. Visuals were rather wavy, audio didn't sync. In general, a bad experience.

I've attempted Dreamcast, but didn't get anything to even boot.

Both of these were 2+ years ago.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Jaguar, i use Stella, it has great mapping to keys menu, even the save states for my controller. Tempest is okay, unless you have a good processor, the same for 3DO emulation, but most computers should run past 1.5ghz nowadays.........

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    hwj_chim

I run magic engine for tg-16 and everything I have tried to run in it runs at full speed and looks great. magic engine will also run cds and isos.

For free Tg-16 emulators ootake is one of the best out their. Have not encountered a rom it could not run yet. It will also run cds and isos
    SEGA!

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ghostangelofcky View Post
    So just close it
    Why? I think it's better that people are discussing it sensibly instead of just assuming it's wrong, not allowed etc.

And I agree that since so far the thread is only about emulators, I see no reason to close it at this point.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The only system out of those that I emulate is the TG 16, and Magic Engine works extremely well for it.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

For accurate emulators, you'll want to use the following:

Nes: Nestopia or Nintendulator
    SNES: BsNES(Very steep HW requirements)
    TG-16: Ootake or Mednafen(Magic Engine is NOT anywhere near an accurate emulator)
    Genesis: Regen or Kega Fusion

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LucidDefender View Post
    (Magic Engine is NOT anywhere near an accurate emulator)
    Quoted for truth. I have no idea why people continue to pay for it / spend the time pirating it when there's better solutions out there that are available for free. The only thing it really has going for it is its GUI, which I've always thought was really slick/clean/nice.

At least the author seems to be interested in actually updating it with some frequency again, which I guess is kind of a nice thing to do if you're going to be charging people money for your software.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

(Magic Engine is NOT anywhere near an accurate emulator)
    Examples please. I've been using .99 which supports the Arcade VGA. Better than an non-RGB modded PC-Engine in most cases. The other cases...quite livable.
    gamengai
    Best import site on the net.
    My for sale list

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GaijinPunch View Post
    Examples please. I've been using .99 which supports the Arcade VGA. Better than an non-RGB modded PC-Engine in most cases. The other cases...quite livable.
    There's a forum that answers that for you.

You should think about updating if you're deadset on not migrating to a more compatible emulator. The newer versions seem to have taken a hint from Ootake and now support optionally showing the overscan region (which some people care very passionately about) along with the usual host of fixes. Just watch out for that input delay.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Ooh, so do you have a computer hooked to an RGB monitor with ArcadeVGA? I've wanted to do that for some time myself...I've never been interested in making a "mame cabinet," I wanted instead to emulate an all-in-one console experience but with super sharp pixels.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Not sure about Magic Engine having input issues or poor emulation as compared to the others. I have been using emulators for over a decade, and still believe Magic Engine to be the most complete, most compatible, best overall TG16/PC Engine experience for the PC. I am however still using v0.99, as when the author went to v1.00 he seems to have botched the whole darn thing. I do recall that version (and all versions after) to have some serious issues. But, again, 0.99 is fantastic. Plays every rom (including SGX) just like the real thing, and plays every PC Engine & Turbografx CD-Rom I ever threw at it. Nice interface, highly customizable (more customization options via config file), and well worth the $11 I think I paid back in the heyday.

Mednafen is good too (used to use it in Linux actually), so I would have to agree that this would be the best free option...but not as good as ME in my opinion.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by roushimsx View Post
    Yes, I know. But simply going down a list of bugs is not going to tell me how accurate or inaccurate an emulator supposedly is.

You should think about updating if you're deadset on not migrating to a more compatible emulator. The newer versions seem to have taken a hint from Ootake and now support optionally showing the overscan region (which some people care very passionately about)
    My main gripe (Arcade VGA support) seems to have been addressed, so I'm quite happy. If Ootake or any other emulator supported the AVGA out of the box, I'd be more than happy to switch to them assuming they're better. I will check a bit later, but getting support for this in a console emulator is like asking for the author's first born. If it doesn't support it, there's no reason for me to use it. Ironically, I now have *two* RGB modded Turbo Duos, which makes my need for an emulator even less.

Ooh, so do you have a computer hooked to an RGB monitor with ArcadeVGA?
    Indeed I do, and it is the best thing I've done for my emulation fix...especially if you're into emulation of machines that don't [easily] support RGB (PC-Engine, for one). Now to see if the Marty, X68000, and MSX emulators support AVGA.
    gamengai
    Best import site on the net.
    My for sale list

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Indeed I do, and it is the best thing I've done for my emulation fix...especially if you're into emulation of machines that don't [easily] support RGB (PC-Engine, for one). Now to see if the Marty, X68000, and MSX emulators support AVGA.
    I'm kinda in the same boat as you, but instead of ArcadeVGA, I use Soft15khz. Quick question though... Does ArcadeVGA support ZSNES or Kega? I've always been interested in ArcadeVGA Cards but with the recent development of Soft15khz, which supports ZSNES and Kega, I've never been forced to buy one. Even so, It is always nice to own a video card that can output 15khz out of the BOX. Maybe someday...

Oh, BTW, UNZ is a nice FM Towns Emu. It works with Soft15khz, and you might want to try it on ArcadeVGA to see if it works.