Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Vectorman0
    PSN
    Vectorman0

Default I need suggestions for cart label materials

I'm not trying to mimic any particular label, my goal is just to have something that looks good and somewhat professional which will hold up fairly well. There are lots of self adhesive paper brands available, so I am probably going to go with one of them. My only concern is how long it will last until it falls off. I will probably need to find something to supplement the adhesive. I also want the label to have some gloss to it, so it's not just dull looking paper. If anyone can suggest a glossy paper, or glossy protective laminate, please let me know. Thanks.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by Vectorman0 View Post
    I'm not trying to mimic any particular label, my goal is just to have something that looks good and somewhat professional which will hold up fairly well. There are lots of self adhesive paper brands available, so I am probably going to go with one of them. My only concern is how long it will last until it falls off. I will probably need to find something to supplement the adhesive. I also want the label to have some gloss to it, so it's not just dull looking paper. If anyone can suggest a glossy paper, or glossy protective laminate, please let me know. Thanks.
    Here's what I used recently on an NES Multicart "gift" project I made for a friend.

HP Advanced Photo Paper 4" x 6" borderless

and 3M HIGH-TACK Spray Adhesive http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXBB94&P=FR

If you have an ink-jet printer with a good DPI, HP Photopaper really makes the best of that, and while it's SLIGHTLY thicker than ACTUAL 4-color labels on most game cartridges, it bonds well with the spray adhesive and the plastic.

I'd reccomend picking up a metal drafting ruler, a cutting mat, and an exacto knife to trim the label to size.

If you missed these photos, here's what the finished product looked like. Great stuff, very authentic looking in terms of gloss. Check out the reflective quality on the lower black area of the label.

Last edited by Frankie_Says_Relax; 04-10-2008 at 01:00 AM.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Vectorman0
    PSN
    Vectorman0

That's great, I think I will give that a try. Thanks. If anyone else has other suggestions, please share them!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

I'm looking into this as well. I'm a little more concerned with the ink rubbing off though. Does anyone know how long glossy paper and lables hold up?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by jb143 View Post
    I'm looking into this as well. I'm a little more concerned with the ink rubbing off though. Does anyone know how long glossy paper and lables hold up?
    While I can't comment on other brands, the HP Advanced Photopaper (after a recommended 24 hour dry time) is totally smear-proof, and in actuality, it's probably smear-proof a lot sooner than that.

"real" game labels have a printing/manufacturing process that's pretty difficult (if not impossible) to replicate with home tools. They go through a 4-color direct-printing process and are bonded with a fine layer of laminate.

I've attempted to simulate that with stick-on sheets of laminate over ink-jet printing label sheets, and the issues that came up were :

- the color images on the label paper were very "flat" even with the laminate applied. So, they didn't look as "authentic" as the real deal when compared to the photopaper.

- the "adhesive" on the back of the label sheet didn't really like to bond with the plastic on the NES cartridge.

as far as holding up ... again, anything home-manufactured is going to have less of a "durability" factor ... but the photo paper seems pretty good to me in terms of being "handled" and not falling apart.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Vectorman0
    PSN
    Vectorman0

I went to the store and they didn't have Advanced paper, so I ended up getting the super duper Premium Plus. It looks amazing considering it was printed on a $50 printer. Now I just have to wait the suggest 7 days drying time. 7 days....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Yeah man, HP Photopaper is freaking awesome.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Vectorman0
    PSN
    Vectorman0

Frankie, I have a couple more questions. Have you tried removing labels? I want to know what to expect if I ever need to take one off; I don't know if this adhesive will damage the plastic, or be impossible to remove. Also, did you do anything special when bending the paper for the end label portion? You're turned out well, and I would like to follow suit.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

For removing NES cartridge labels (and probably any other type) I'd reccomend lighter fluid. Far and away the most amazing sticker glue removal solvent I've ever used - causes no additional damage to the plastic (unless you light it on fire!).

And as far as the "crease" ... you'll need to "score" that section of the paper, not "cut" but "score".

Take a metal drafting ruler or straight-edge place it across the area where you want the crease to be, and lightly drag (don't put any downward pressure on the paper or you'll cut right through it) an exacto across that line on the image side of the photo-paper (be careful not to cut your fingers).

you should now be able to fold that section over the plastic easily and neatly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Fantastic job on that cartridge label Frankie_Says_Relax!

For removing stickers, tape and stuff like that you can probably buy some "sticker removal spray" from your well sorted hardware store.
    Last edited by Krook; 04-14-2008 at 08:54 PM.
    GET YOUR HANDS OFF MY NINTENDO!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Thank you kindly!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Vectorman0
    PSN
    Vectorman0

I should have been more specific. I meant removing custom labels that had been previously applied with Super 77. Also, I'm not making NES labels.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

I should have been more specific. I meant removing custom labels that had been previously applied with Super 77. Also, I'm not making NES labels.
    I'm pretty sure lighter fluid will do the deal no matter what the adhesive!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Vectorman0
    PSN
    Vectorman0

So I have all of my labels printed out and cut, and they look quite nice. Thanks again for all the help Frankie, I owe you one.

At this point I'm struggling with bending the labels nicely so I can glue them to the cart shells. It's a lot more difficult than I expected. Activision carts have a fairly round bend, and with this thick paper it's difficult to make a bend that will hold without creasing the paper, while making the bend in the exact place you need it (the most important part).

I'll make sure to get some picture up once I am done.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

So I have all of my labels printed out and cut, and they look quite nice. Thanks again for all the help Frankie, I owe you one.

At this point I'm struggling with bending the labels nicely so I can glue them to the cart shells. It's a lot more difficult than I expected. Activision carts have a fairly round bend, and with this thick paper it's difficult to make a bend that will hold without creasing the paper, while making the bend in the exact place you need it (the most important part).

Hmmm ... I'm just speculating on this, but you might want to try applying heat (like from a blow dryer) ... that should allow the photo paper to expand/soften enough to make the bend without stress-fracturing.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

Oh, please do. If you're making 2600 Activision labels, I want to see them badly.

Also, props to Frank on that awesome NES label.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.