Thread: Genesis Mega Drive Project

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    GrantCanyon

Talking Genesis Mega Drive Project

Hello all. I really want to trick out my Sega Genesis Model 1. This guy has some cool stuff going on and I wish i could find any of the documents he used to figure this stuff out.
    http://www.hot.ee/tmeeco/MYSMD2.JPG

At this time Im information gathering still but I will update this post with updates

UPDATE:
    Current mods in Sega Genesis Model 1
    Green LED from SMS installed
    Red stock LED mounted above Start button on controller
    Overclock Mod (original clock speed and 13.4mhz)(no halt button)
    Region switch (US - JP)
    JP game alteration of cart slot
    RCA jacks for Video and Mono Audio

LONG LIVE SEGA HARDWARE!
    Last edited by 77punk; 01-14-2008 at 05:57 PM. Reason: updating
    800,2600,5200,7800,C64,Intellivision,NES1+2,NEX,SM S 1+2,GENNY1-3,CDi,SEGA CD1+2,SNES1+2,TG16,VB,N64(Reg,blue,green),Saturn1+ 2,PS,PSone w/LCD,PS2,Xbox,NGPC,GG,GB,GBC,GBA,GBA SP,Game.com,WonderSwan,Lynx I+II,3D0fz1+10,PICO,Nomad,GP32,DC(reg+sport),GC (2of3),SuperFamicom,MVS, Neo Geo CD,Super Compact+Futbal edition,PSP,360,Wii,DS

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think that the only one of those mods that I could do would be the "Real Blood" mod.

JY

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I know whom did those mods. I could get him here, or relay messages for him, if you'd like.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    GrantCanyon

evil, you DA man.. I also picked up the ben heck book so i can learn more about systems through that hopefully.
    800,2600,5200,7800,C64,Intellivision,NES1+2,NEX,SM S 1+2,GENNY1-3,CDi,SEGA CD1+2,SNES1+2,TG16,VB,N64(Reg,blue,green),Saturn1+ 2,PS,PSone w/LCD,PS2,Xbox,NGPC,GG,GB,GBC,GBA,GBA SP,Game.com,WonderSwan,Lynx I+II,3D0fz1+10,PICO,Nomad,GP32,DC(reg+sport),GC (2of3),SuperFamicom,MVS, Neo Geo CD,Super Compact+Futbal edition,PSP,360,Wii,DS

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    GrantCanyon

system now has the overclock switch, av jacks, stock SMS green LED, Im trying to figure out the language mod but ive cut the traces and tried wiring jp1 + jp2 differently but its still playing in english everytime.
    Last edited by 77punk; 01-12-2008 at 06:36 PM.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 77punk View Post
    system now has the overclock switch, av jacks, stock SMS green LED, Im trying to figure out the language mod but ive cut the traces and tried wiring jp1 + jp2 differently but its still playing in english everytime.
    The game will only change language if the cartridge has the other language.

A good test is Sonic 2. If you go to the options screen, in english it says "Sonic and Tails", but in JAP mode it says "Sonic and Miles"..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by evildragon View Post
    The game will only change language if the cartridge has the other language.

A good test is Sonic 2. If you go to the options screen, in english it says "Sonic and Tails", but in JAP mode it says "Sonic and Miles"..
    Streets of Rage is another one, it will load as Bare Knuckle in JPN mode. Of course region locked games such as Streets of Rage 2 will give you an error message in JPN mode or EUR mode (USA+50Hz). Region locked cartridges are the way to go for testing.

Please don't refer to it as a language mod, it's a region mod and a region mod won't translate your games.

Genesis / Mega Drive region settings...
    USA + 60Hz = USA
    JPN + 60Hz = JPN
    USA + 50Hz = EUR

Research is the better part of discretion when you're starting to mod systems. Far better than slapping in jumpers and slicing up PCB's in a rush. Personally the guy's system in the picture linked to in the original post looks like a smuldering pile of crap to me. The trick to mods is to have them be clean and look like they were there to begin with. Who the hell wants to take the case apart and move jumpers on pins to change regions? I don't have any Genesis systems for sale right now but I do have a Saturn up that can act as an example. To each their own however.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    GrantCanyon

David, im all about researching and whatnot (google right now is my best tool) and I love to make thing clean looking. I am just intrigued on how much he did with his and its inspired me. I know its a region mod and the language mod is in another location. I see that now one of my systems i loading sonic 2 to say sonic and miles, but the streets of rage 2 is still working as usual. fun stuff.

Looking forward to completing the S-Vid mod and any other things i can find to do.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

All sounds good. I really, really, REALLY don't like harshing on other people's mods but that picture was driving me crazy. As an R&D mod board to try stuff with and tinker with then find smoother ways to do stuff it's fine but it seemed like they were calling that a completed system.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    GrantCanyon

Default info

I finally figured out what it was. I was tring the combination backwards so it just didnt let me select. Im happy with my system now but am still looking for cool things to do with it. When I get a better camera I will make sure to snap pictures of it. I am actually going to make a wireharness for it when I know im content with all the mods on it.

I think that would be just the coolest mod is the tubes that say Sega that the one guy had modded. Its complete overkill but great stuff IMO. Thanks all for your advice and such, like always.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

These are the mods on my Genesis.

http://macteens.com/gallery/albums/u...094/genmod.jpg

Non TMSS model too..

RCA jacks are going to be replaced with gold plated ones soon, as soon as Radio Shack restocks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    GrantCanyon

what mods are the switches for?

These are the mods on my Genesis.

http://macteens.com/gallery/albums/u...094/genmod.jpg

Non TMSS model too..

RCA jacks are going to be replaced with gold plated ones soon, as soon as Radio Shack restocks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

what mods are the switches for?
    My guess would be one for USA/JPN and the other for 60Hz/50Hz (to boot EUR region games in 50Hz then switch back to 60Hz to display on a standard USA NTSC Television). Nice clean mod there, evildragon. Gets in the way of the Power Base Converter but very nice work! You know you can tap true stereo sound at the headphone jack? I'm redoing my Mod Services page at my site with new pictures today, when it gets back up I'll post the link.
    Last edited by InsaneDavid; 01-14-2008 at 07:48 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    GrantCanyon

very cool about the splitting the audio. How does that compare to the crystal clear audio mod? Ive been looking at that one and finally found good instructions.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yes, my audio jacks were tapped from the headphone jack. More like directly from the output on the OP amp chip, for a tad cleaner interior mod.

Yes, switches are for region mods.

If I ever used the PBC, I would dremel out the area where my mods are, but even that would be cleanly done.

My Genesis is modified for Component video, and since I use an HDTV with a scaler, 50Hz games that won't switch to 60Hz after boot, run just fine at 50Hz..

I put all switches and jacks on the very back for it to cosmetically be out of site. Being on the side wouldn't look clean to me.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

very cool about the splitting the audio. How does that compare to the crystal clear audio mod? Ive been looking at that one and finally found good instructions.
    The CCAM is for Model 2 Genesis'.. It's only to clear up the crappy op amp used.

Genesis 1 has good enough audio it doesn't really need it..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    GrantCanyon

nice, its done.. thanks fellas. must do more and more... did you guys see this wacky stuff?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oonyMnUc1cg
    it looks like he even changed up the power supply, even though its a model 2..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

If I ever used the PBC, I would dremel out the area where my mods are, but even that would be cleanly done.
    That's what I ended up doing with mine so it would fit on my JVC X'Eye. I tired to keep that clean but you have to cut away around 60% of the plastic on the PCB for proper clearance. Again, beautiful work.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneDavid View Post
    That's what I ended up doing with mine so it would fit on my JVC X'Eye. I tired to keep that clean but you have to cut away around 60% of the plastic on the PCB for proper clearance. Again, beautiful work.
    Thanks for the comment, very appreciated. This would actually be the first compliment after about 20 other people saw and commented on another forum.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

I've updated my mod services page. While it's not all the mods I've done, it features the mods I consistently do under contract. And of course the main site.