Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gapporin

Default DS Homebrew?

So, this post motivated me to dust off my flash cart again, and I realized how much great stuff has been programmed for use on the DS (thanks again, SFD!). But one thing I haven't really found a lot of is notable DS homebrew. Does anybody know of any good homebrew DS games to use on a flash cart? Doesn't really matter what type of genre it is; I enjoy all kinds of games. I'm just more interested on what is available: Half of what I see is either unfinished/unimplemented, or just remakes of basic ideas (Tetris, Pac-Man, Breakout, etc.). So if anybody has any recommendations, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks in advance!

(For the record: I'm not asking about emulators, applications, etc. I'm just wanting to know about original DS homebrew games. Thank you.)
    "I am a cipher, wrapped in an enigma, smothered in secret sauce."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cataractula
    PSN
    CTRCT

Actually, I believe Cave Story was given a DS Homebrew version. Google it, I'm pretty sure I read it on kotaku, actually.

I'm actually thinking of buying a flashcart for my DS, and I was looking at an R4. What do have/recommend?

Apple (Level 5) Sweater Fish Deluxe's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Cave Story port is not really playable yet. You can run around in the world and everything, but there's no dialog or interaction yet. It's just a demo and there hasn't been any releases in a long time, so I don't know if the project is even still continuing unfortunately.

I think the DS has a really great homebrew scene and I especially like that it's focused more on original games than emulators or ports like most other homebrew scenes seem to be.

Coincidentally an article was just published on gbatemp.net listing many of the notable homebrews:

http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=70463

It's not a bad article, but I think he missed some of the best games. In addition to what Urza listed in that article (most of them are indeed good, but I think a couple are borderline), you should check out Word Up!, Spout DS (There's a few different versions of this game and they all play the same, but some add features like high-score saving on slot-2 carts or background music), Plop Invaders, New Caisse DS, Kongregate (also included as part of the Mental Games compilation), DiceWars, AmplituDS, Closed, Gioioso! (only works on slot-2 carts), No Place To Hide, SquareDS, Twist and Rudolph Steady GO!

That should be enough to get you started and leave a nice taste in your mouth. All great games.

I released a DS game of my own called Touchdown: The Alien Attack for some contest last year, but I can't say I recommend it particularly. It's okay, but doesn't really suck you in. Especially the released version. I have a development version that's a lot better and I need to polish it up and make another release sometime soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo View Post
    I'm actually thinking of buying a flashcart for my DS, and I was looking at an R4. What do have/recommend?
    R4 is a fine choice. It'll run everything you want it to and it's cheap. The CycloDS Evolution and Supercard DS ONE have more and features and better interfaces, but cost a bit more. Actually, the Supercard doesn't really even cost more. That's probably what I'd buy right now if I was in the market for a simple DS flash card.

...word is bondage...
    Last edited by Sweater Fish Deluxe; 01-04-2008 at 12:16 PM.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gapporin

Now that is exactly what I was looking for. Many thanks (again)!
    "I am a cipher, wrapped in an enigma, smothered in secret sauce."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Indeed, most useful. My R4 has also been collecting dust.

Any suggestions on the cheapest place to obtain an EZFlash these days?

And is there still nothing that will read PDFs directly, without having to convert them to images using a PC?
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks a lot for that gbatemp link, I knew about most of the apps and ports on the page but I totally have missed out on LemmingsDS. Loaded that up on my R4 and its an awesome port. I now have a ton of Lemmings levels on my DS to get reacquainted with.