Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    cloneholt
    PSN
    cloneholt

Default NES Help! Flashes ON OFF ON OFF ON OFF

I've never owned a NES before and just tried to fire up one that came in a bundle of stuff from a guy I know. Plugged it in, turned it on and the red light goes on, off, on, off constantly. Any ideas for a Nintendo Newbie??

Thanks!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    retroman20/retroman21
    PSN
    retroman13

Just blow really hard into the game cart, dont spit...just blow hard...put back into the system and after a few times it will work..never fails....or u can replace the 72pin thats inside the system. A cheap and easy fix that anyone can do. Just order a new one off of ebay.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Disable the lockout chip and it'll never blink again. There's plenty of pages that tell you how to do this, but it's not hard or anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by starsoldier1 View Post
    GUY WAS SUPPOSE TO PLAYABLE IN THE GAME
    My collection

Cherry (Level 1) -_-Nintendo-_-'s Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Don't blow into the carts, this will cause corrosion and probably worsen the problem. You can disable the lockout chip and it indeed will NOT blink, but if the 72 pin connector is worn this means the games will still not load. Getting a new 72 pin connector should fix the problem, and diabling the lockout chip should insure it does not blink for many more years.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Or you could get a gamebit, open your games, and clean them properly with a non-corrosive metal cleaner. That's the easiest method before taking your NES apart. Then if that doesn't work replace the 72-Pin, like was mentioned. If you do some searches here, you can find many more threads on this issue.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    cloneholt
    PSN
    cloneholt

First off, thanks again for all the great responses. I've always heard about the Nintendo 72-pin problem, but never knew what it was. I have tried a few different games, all with the same results, so it might be the pin. I already have a gamebit, so I'll clean a couple of games really well and see if that helps.

Again, thanks!
    Holt

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you do clean your games first... try one with a metal cleaner like Brasso or Mr. Metal then one with alcohol and see the difference it makes. I know there is some arguement to which method works the best- and if metal cleaner is "safe" for games, so if you feel uncomfortable with the metal cleaner use it on a less important game. I've used the game cleaning method and have never replaced a 72-Pin- it works great for me. Nor have I ever damaged my carts in any way, by using a non abrasive metal cleaner on them.
    Last edited by TheDomesticInstitution; 11-29-2007 at 09:01 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Clownzilla

If you have a Game Genie, you can use it as a passthrough. This almost always works for me. Although, it's probably smarter to clean your carts and system instead. I'm just too lazy to do it.

P.S.

Welcome to the wonderful world of NES gaming!
    Wherever politics tries to be redemptive, it is promising too much. Where it wishes to do the work of God, it becomes not divine, but demonic.

Pope Benedict XVI

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

im amazed no one has brought up my secret method yet, better than blowing on the carts, easier than cleaning the carts, simply put the game in the system turn it on at which point it will start blinking now with one finger on either side of the game wiggle it back and forth a little hit reset repeat until it works, i use this trick everytime i play an nes game and its never failed me
    For lucky best wash, use Mr. Sparkle.

DP Feedback Thread
    http://www.digitpress.com/forum/show...ight=mrsparkle

Great Puma (Level 12) DeputyMoniker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    tellUwut

Quote Originally Posted by MrSparkle View Post
    im amazed no one has brought up my secret method yet, better than blowing on the carts, easier than cleaning the carts, simply put the game in the system turn it on at which point it will start blinking now with one finger on either side of the game wiggle it back and forth a little hit reset repeat until it works, i use this trick everytime i play an nes game and its never failed me
    I push the cart in JUST enough to clear the front of the system, hold the reset button, and quickly push the cart up & down. Release the reset button and it usually works from there. We're both doing the same thing, we're just doing it in a different manner.
    I wonder how many methods we would find if we asked the entire country. :P

Click here to view my collection.
    DP FFXIV Username & Server List.

PSN, Switch, U, Steam, and Twitch: tellUwut

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by retroman View Post
    Just blow really hard into the game cart, dont spit...just blow hard...put back into the system and after a few times it will work..never fails....or u can replace the 72pin thats inside the system. A cheap and easy fix that anyone can do. Just order a new one off of ebay.
    ...I can't believe that I'm reading this on the DP Technical & Restoration forum.

OP - Please don't ever "blow" (with or without spit) into any cartridges or cartridge based gaming systems if you care the least bit about their longevity.

Step one for correcting a blinking NES is cleaning the cartridges. If Isopropyl alcohol doesn't work - I've personally had universally successful results with various cartridge types using stainless steel cleaner/polish spray (I picked up a can of "Sheila Shine" brand at Home Depot).

A small amount onto a cartridge cleaning pad has restored the cartridge contatcts to a glorious copper shine without stripping them of any metal.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TheDomesticInstitution View Post
    Or you could get a gamebit, open your games, and clean them properly with a non-corrosive metal cleaner. That's the easiest method before taking your NES apart. Then if that doesn't work replace the 72-Pin, like was mentioned. If you do some searches here, you can find many more threads on this issue.
    That's all you have to do right there, no need to overcomplicate the problem with hardmods or connector replacements. NES systems and cartridges get dirty, clean them - it's that simple. Replacing the ZIF connector and using dirty games with it will result in the same problem. Use at least 70% by volume alcohol and all your problems will go away. It will evaporate completely where as metal cleaners and other solvents will leave a residue over time.

Quote Originally Posted by Clownzilla View Post
    If you have a Game Genie, you can use it as a passthrough. This almost always works for me. Although, it's probably smarter to clean your carts and system instead. I'm just too lazy to do it.
    Don't do this, it's not a solution, just something that will cause more damage over time as the Game Genie is known to bend the ZIF connector pins back harder than a cartridge does, eventually resulting in them needing to be bent back.

Reading the posts after that one, you guys just need to clean your systems. Yes, all NES systems have a sweet spot where the games work best, but you should still clean the ZIF connector and always keep your games clean.

A quick and dirty way of cleaning the ZIF connector without disassembling the NES is to take a cotton swab coated in alcohol, apply a coating of it to the connectors of a clean cartridge, then insert and remove the cartridge in the system. Then take a clean cotton swab and run it along the cartridge connectors to pick up the gunk.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Terminusvitae's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Aoif3edieqwdf

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneDavid View Post
    That's all you have to do right there, no need to overcomplicate the problem with hardmods or connector replacements. NES systems and cartridges get dirty, clean them - it's that simple. Replacing the ZIF connector and using dirty games with it will result in the same problem. Use at least 70% by volume alcohol and all your problems will go away. It will evaporate completely where as metal cleaners and other solvents will leave a residue over time.
    Awww, but I LIKE making cheap harmonicas and kazoos out of my old connectors.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

game genie wow thats an odd idea mine makes it about 10x harder to get anything working hehe
    For lucky best wash, use Mr. Sparkle.

DP Feedback Thread
    http://www.digitpress.com/forum/show...ight=mrsparkle

Strawberry (Level 2) Nitrosport's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Personally, I like to use a pink pencil eraser. It cleans the game really well and it's not harmful. My games always work perfectly after I rub the connector. I learned this trick when I called SEGA back in the days of the Genesis and have been using it ever since. The only time it doesn't work is when you have badly oxidized connectors. You would need something to clean off the rust first.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Cleaning the games and preferably the pin connector as well should fix the problem. Bending the pins up a bit on the connector can help make a better connection. My philosophy is that, with the NES, you will never achieve 100% reliability. The worst NES systems have somewhere less than 5% reliability, I would estimate. My refurbished NES has greater than 50% reliability. In other words, I rarely have to reinsert the game more than once, and they often work on the first try. I consider this acceptable.

As for blowing on the games, I admit to sometimes doing this even today. This may make the games less reliable in the long term. In the short term, though, it can often make a game work. I always clean any newly acquired games first. I figure it is easier to simply blow in my games when they occasionally don't work, rather than clean them every time. If the games eventually become too dirty again, I can always just clean them again, and I would guess that the total amount or work required is less.
    Rarest games in collection: (R8) Chavez II for SNES / (R7) Star Gunner (Telesys) for Atari 2600
    Game Collection -- Game Commercials -- Favorite Game: Secret of Mana
    Wii code: 2572 7867 9177 9866 Smash: 0259-0110-4026

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

""My philosophy is that, with the NES, you will never achieve 100% reliability.""

That's not my experience. =)

That said, it took a few years of research, warranty and system tracking, etc, to get our OSG NES restore procedure to that point.

However, for the DIY'er, cleaning the carts, and cleaning the connector, will likely get you to what is a satisfactory place for most enthusiasts.

OSG units satisfy Mom and Pop's, and regular consumers who just want it to 'work'. People who won't put up with quirkiness from their NES's. /shameless plug over

=)
    ... for your gaming and iPod service needs http://www.oldschoolgamer.com/ For all your Video Game console and iPod upgrade/repair needs!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

1. The pins are loose

2. You need to blow a certain way. Refer to the instruction manual on cleaning games.

3. Also the Reset switch might be the fault. Mine will blink forever if the switch is pressed.

Also I would open it and see how much dust is present. My VCR NES is openable
    just to be sure.

Just buy a SNES/NES a new system instead which is going low at the moment.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    gutpocket

Every time I need to fix an NES a clean it really well if it still doesn't work I pull the pins out so they make a better connection, pretty much like a new 72 pin and more reliable than my top loader!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Young_Machete

I think your topic title is amazing, simply amazing.

Breaking Bad 3x02 - Caballo Sin Nombre