Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Purchase Xbox 1 games throgh XBL (joystiq)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Diskoboy74

Default Purchase Xbox 1 games throgh XBL (joystiq)

Starting December 2nd, you'll be able to buy Xbox 1 games on your 360, through XBL, at 1200 points each!!

The first batch of games include: Halo 1, Fable, Indigo Prophecy, Crimson Skies, Crash Badicoot: Wrath of the Cortex, Burnout 3

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/11/13/fa...halo-december/

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sounds like those 20GB drives are gonna be filling up fast then. Provided that people go for this, and don't already own the games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

Quote Originally Posted by diskoboy View Post
    Starting December 2nd, you'll be able to buy Xbox 1 games on your 360, through XBL, at 1200 points each!!

The first batch of games include: Halo 1, Fable, Indigo Prophecy, Crimson Skies, Crash Badicoot: Wrath of the Cortex, Burnout 3
    Slippery slope.

Why make things backwards compatible when you can sell them again via download? We need to keep an eye on these types of things.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Kirby (Level 13) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Bold move, sounds like MS wants to compete with Sony's PS Network. I hope these DL ports are faithful and not half-ass like "CastleVania SOTN"
    These cartridges are dirty as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore!

Banana (Level 7) kaedesdisciple's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    JOEY BLACKOUTS
    PSN
    JOEY_BLACKOUTS

Quote Originally Posted by heybtbm View Post
    Slippery slope.

Why make things backwards compatible when you can sell them again via download? We need to keep an eye on these types of things.
    Agreed. I am quite unhappy about this. Unfortunately, tons of casuals will just buy into it as usual and backward compatibility will become a thing of the past.

"Why keep all these old games and systems around when I can just download them and play them on my (insert new system here)?"

Continuing intellectual property revenue generation with minimal effort. I would also expect these systems to be designed to break even more over time, so you have to keep buying the same games over and over because you don't have the hardware to run the old games anymore. I know it's kind of tin-foil hat thinking, but you can't help but notice that companies love going to great lengths making sure that the customer owns as little as possible while continuing to pay more for it.

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

This could be a good thing to be able to buy for $15 the games that you never went and picked up in the past that may still cost over $15 used. I think as far as the PS network is concerned, they are not only selling PS1 games for the PS3, but you can also copy the game onto as many PSPs as you want. So for $5-$10 less, you can have a copy on you PS3 and PSP and you can copy the game onto all your buddies PSPs or whatever. I've given out plenty of copies of Symphany of the Night to my friends for thier PSP.

I do think that since xboxs backwards compatibility wasn't quite what was promised, that this is kind of another kick in the ass from MS to the consumer. Although while it is a good idea to make these games available to us without having to go out to the stores and search for a copy, the market for this kind of thing is going to increase over time because of it being so easily available to everyone. I would rather not have game systems of future generations be download only style games. I like xbox live arcade, PSN, and virtual console, but when you start seeing things like Warhawk, and now the XBOX1 game library up for sale, you start to see this progressing into a future of no physical media for video gaming. Its already progressed quite a bit since 360 was launched.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

if they made halo 1 have live capabilities ... id be a happy man

Professional Geek Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I don't think I see myself spending $15 on a game I can pick up for under $9 at my local Gamestop. Nice try Microsoft....but I'll just stick to the actual physical copy instead.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mightymango

Now if they are available on live to download, one would think they would be simular to the real titles. So if the fall update is going to support these, and the achievements included, whats to say that the hard copies won't have the same feature after the update.
    Part of the #Vbender Crew

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    BurgerTrench

A lot of people won't go to game stop to buy a copy of Indigo Prophecy (most haven't even heard of it) but exposure on Xbox Live could actually get people playing this fantastic game.

And 1200 points really isn't bad at all for the convenience. This is a great idea and is being implemented for reasonable cost.

As far as backwards compatibility is concerned, pretty much every quality game is already compatible. Microsoft DID deliver with 3 updates since the 360 release. Contrast this with Sony REMOVING backwards compatibility with their PS3 only to announce a new model of the PS2 immediately afterwards.

So you've still got 75% backwards compatibility with 95% compatibility with games you'd actually want to play and the option to download titles with high def support and possible online improvements.

Sounds win win to me.
    "Be proud of what we make you do." - Master Shake, SGC2C - Baffler Meal
    Blog time!
    On Facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I sure hope the 120 gig hard drive goes down in price fairly soon. I'd consider it for 100$ (Still a rip off but more reasonable), but not for $180.

Theres a couple games on that list I wouldn't mind buying (Never tried Fable or Indigo Prophecy).

And theres a ton of great titles not backwards compatible. And its no where close to 75% compatibility, and I haven't played a game yet in BC mode that doesn't have noticeable problems. A Good 50% of the games I've played are bad enough I'd consider them unplayable under emulation, such as Project Gotham Racing 1.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

Quote Originally Posted by blissfulnoise View Post
    So you've still got 75% backwards compatibility
    Not a big deal, but it bugs me when people make up statistics. 360 b/c is currently at 42% (US releases). Actually the percentage is even less when you consider the titles listed as b/c, but in reality are unplayable (i.e. Mercenaries).
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    BurgerTrench

Not a big deal, but it bugs me when people make up statistics. 360 b/c is currently at 42% (US releases). Actually the percentage is even less when you consider the titles listed as b/c, but in reality are unplayable (i.e. Mercenaries).
    Sorry, I thought I had read it was 75% but upon actually looking it up you're correct.

My point remains pretty valid though.
    "Be proud of what we make you do." - Master Shake, SGC2C - Baffler Meal
    Blog time!
    On Facebook

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    bow to postulio
    PSN
    MofoicDisaster

the games theyre bringing are already BC so its no big deal, i just hope they somehow add the features to the physical copies as well...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

What features?

I'm betting they don't do anything like add achievements. Hopefully I'm wrong though and they add in 200 achievement points, Xbox Guide support (Doesn't work currently in BC titles), return of custom sound track support to original Xbox games and those that didn't have it originally (Is broken or doesn't work right in some BC titles that originally had the feature on the original system), wide screen support if it didn't originally have it, etc.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 11-13-2007 at 04:26 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sweet, only one bad game on the list (Hint: Title begins with "Crash"). Hopefully Fable is the Platinum Hits version ("The Lost Chapters") but even then that's kind of a shitty deal for a game that's $10 new everywhere (I kiss you, Platinum Hits).

I'm all for downloadable versions of older games (even just the generation prior such as in this case). You don't have to buy them if you don't want to, but they're there to satisfy your impulsive desires should you one day wake up and decide, "You know what? I want to see what all of the hubub regarding Crimson Skies is all about!". I also like how they have Burnout 3 (good!) instead of Burnout Revenge (not good) and Halo 1 (not bad!) instead of Halo 2 (bad).

Oh, and Indigo Prophecy? Fuck, I have no idea why the hell they decided to throw that on there, but good on 'em for it. Next thing you know they'll be adding Beyond Good & Evil and Psychonauts.

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_Ames View Post
    What features?

I'm betting they don't do anything like add achievements.
    It would be extremely awesome if they started adding achievements to these games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by roushimsx View Post
    Oh, and Indigo Prophecy? Fuck, I have no idea why the hell they decided to throw that on there, but good on 'em for it. Next thing you know they'll be adding Beyond Good & Evil and Psychonauts.
    well kiss my grits

For anyone that doesn't feel like clicking the link, Psychonauts is one of the games that's going to be available. Win!

Part of the #vbender crew Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Abstract Zero
    PSN
    Ze_roV
    Steam
    abstractzero

Don't expect any enhancements whatsoever. It's already been announced that these will NOT have achievements, and that many of them will have some emulation problems. So don't hold your breath for HD support, or extra online features or anything like that. It's not going to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by heybtbm
    Why make things backwards compatible when you can sell them again via download?
    My guess is that all of this is built on top of the existing backwards compatibility. My hopes are that if this turns out to be a decent source of income for MS, then they might turn out a 4th or 5th BC update so they can add more games.

I'm also hoping that this will also serve to further reduce the price of hardcopies of original Xbox games.

--Zero

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Sothy

indigo prophecy was dissapointing.

It has a ton of potential but screws up.

"hey look im a well written adventure that sucks you into the very mature plot and then HEY DUDE LETS PLAY A DAMN GAME OF SIMON OUTTA NOWHERE AND CHAIRS FLY AT YOUR FACE"

<@Carey85> I-75 is the second busiest freeway in the country behind I-95
    <@NE146> u r

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nesmaster
    PSN
    Nesman

That seriously pissed me off. Mercenaries plays so well other than the fact that it freezes every 5 minutes. The only graphics glitch I encountered was the map HUD went haywire. Damn shame cause it looks really nice via HDMI... but the freezing does indeed make it unplayable.