Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Rock Band Thread (DLC Priced, Cheaper than GHIII)

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

Default Rock Band Thread (DLC Priced, Cheaper than GHIII)

The Best Buy I work at recently got in a Rock Band game for demonstration:

Everyone has been drooling over the box, as we weren't allowed to open it up or anything until we got the go-ahead from our DM of marketing. They've been resetting and moving things around in the store the past couple of days, and the OK was given yesterday to set it up. It's on a display in the center of the store, far removed from the ginormous Guitar Hero III demo setup near the entrance.

And for 98% of the evening, this was the center of attention, both for employees and customers alike. And for good reason. It's a hell of a lot of fun, especially when 3 or 4 people join in the game.

First off, I'll talk about the instruments a bit.

The guitar feels a bit thick. It's got a nice feel, that's for sure. The fret buttons will take some getting used to for those accustomed to the GH guitars. The buttons are flush against the fretboard, and can easily throw off your positioning at first. They're also a bit more wide. The buttons at the top of the neck are exactly the same, only much more narrow. From what I tried, they're tough to use, and will definitely take some practice moving to and from.

As far as the rest of the body: The 'pick' is very tall and loose. It didn't seem to have that weighty click of the GH guitars. Of course, this was in a loud store, so I can't be certain. The buttons on the body are just as one would expect. The toggle switch (generally used for changing pickups on an actual instrument) will switch effects when in 'Overdrive', the RB equivalent to Star Power. The available effects are Wah, Flange, Chorus, and Echo. They're really just there to sound neat, as far as I can tell.

Don't like it? You can use the X-Plorer or the Les Paul instead.

The demo set we got does not have a kick pedal. This is most likely due to a couple reasons, either they weren't finished at the time it was sent out, it was a theft possibility, or, the exclusion of the foot pedal makes demoing the game easier for the drummer(so the demo does not frustrate). I did not get to personally play the drums in game, but did check them out and found them to be built well and have a very solid feel. They seemed quite responsive.

As for the game itself:

You really have to be on top of the beat, regardless of the instrument you choose. The notes don't have as much leeway as they do in GH, which does take a bit of getting used to. Singing is exactly like Karaoke Revolution.

'Overdrive' replaces Star Power. It's basically the same thing as it has been, but now you can use it to revive fallen bandmates.

There's a meter off to the left side, which shows how each individual member of the band is doing. If a member does poorly, they'll fail the song(three fails per song, per player) and drop out. The other players can use their 'Overdrive' to rescue the failed player and get them back into the game. Because, ultimately, the game is about how all players play together, not just individual performances. If your band loses a member, you better get them back since it'll be tough to pass the song without them.

Certain parts of the song have 'Unison Bonus', which gives more score if all players are in sync. Kind of a neat touch.

The free-for-all at the end of the song is a good time, just trying to see how many points you can rack up.

Graphically, the game looks like a sleek, modernized version of GH. The circle indicators are slender bars now, which is why there's not quite as much time to hit the notes properly. The characters are stylized just like GH I & II, and the video of the venue/band while playing is done in a nice grainy quality video. Menus and interface are exactly as you'd expect-intuitive, yet straightforward and to the point. And this game looks wonderful in hi-res.

In short: This game is going to be great, no matter how you slice it. I;ll be heading back for some real playtime today since I'm off.

Songs on the demo (that I can remember):

"Are You Gonna Be My Girl" – Jet
    "Black Hole Sun" - Soundgarden
    "Dani California" – Red Hot Chili Peppers
    "Detroit Rock City" – Kiss
    "Epic" – Faith No More
    "In Bloom" – Nirvana
    "Paranoid" – Black Sabbath
    "Say It Ain't So" – Weezer
    "Suffragette City" – David Bowie
    "Tom Sawyer" – Rush
    "Vasoline" – Stone Temple Pilots
    "Wanted Dead or Alive" – Bon Jovi
    "Wave of Mutilation" – Pixies
    Last edited by Oobgarm; 10-31-2007 at 08:14 AM.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Strawberry (Level 2) misfits859's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've heard some rumbling locally that the game is gonna be in very short supply...None of our local stores are taking pre-orders. Any word on this from our posters?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I would assume that to be the case, given the game's high price and big packaging. I'm sure a lot of smaller stores would only be getting a handful of them in.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I only found out today (haven't been keeping up) that the Rock Band Strat has duplicate buttons on the upper frets.. that's awesome, and has been an idea of mine since GH1! That's great they thought of that.. it makes me really consider getting this.

And the pickup selector switch to activate the equivalent of rock power is another pure guitar player thought that was incorporated.. that's awesome as well.

I'm not too excited about the rest of the instruments so I'm wondering how would this game be if taken purely as a "Guitar Hero" game... in other words if you totally ignore everything else, does this title stand on it's own if you purely played the guitar on it?

Pac-Man (Level 10) Terminusvitae's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Aoif3edieqwdf

What, no double-bass pedal? BLASPHEMY!

*looks at the track listing*

Oh...that's apparently why.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Overbite
    PSN
    MSX6800

I went to play it at the Best Buy in Concord, NH and the guitar was broken The mic wasn't even plugged in so all I could play was the drums which were great fun!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cannon Spook
    PSN
    Cannon_Spook

I played the game the first day Best Buy had it up, we freakin loved it. The song selection is amazing, I love playing In Bloom. The drums are great, and the guitar is way freakin better than Guitar Hero's.

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Oobgarm, just wanted to thank you for the preview. This one has been a real wild-card for me. Guitar Hero stuff sells insanely well at my store, but I wasn't sure if this was a cheap (yet expensive) imitator or something actually worth investing in. I think it's clear from your perspective which it is - though it also seems from other posts that I may not be able to invest much. Still, from someone who has played a whole bunch of guitar sims (I remember our first match on the Japanese "Guitar Freaks" years ago), this is all I need to know.

YOU ROCK

Kirby (Level 13) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah the one at Best Buy here doesn't have the foot pedal either, so I keep making mistakes
    These cartridges are dirty as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    boatofcar

Thanks for the awesome review!

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I went to my BB, they didn't have it up yet. Hell, they didn't even have GH3 set up.
    Aqua Teen Hunger Force, Number 1 in the 'hood g!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Oobgarm View Post
    It's on a display in the center of the store, far removed from the ginormous Guitar Hero III demo setup near the entrance.
    I was at my local Best Buy yesterday, and they have their demo right next to the GH III demo. Heh.

Nice review!

Collection List | Twitter
    Check out the new N64 Rumble Pak. See how it feels to feel what you see.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

I got a good shot at the drums last night.

They're pretty good, though you have to hit them kinda hard for them to register. Everything seemed to be placed well, even if I kept hitting the sticks together and hitting the rims on accident. I just chalk that up to inexperience. I'm not a drummer by any means, but I was able to score 97% on Faith No More's "Epic", set to hard difficulty.

Of course, add in the foot pedal and I'm screwed.

This is shaping up to be THE game to beat for this go-round. I've not seen one person walk away from the setup unimpressed. Even management, who are generally folks that aren't into video games, were digging it and giving it a shot.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Pretzel (Level 4) LiquidPolicenaut's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    LiquidSnake2047

Nice review!

Reading all these posts has got me wondering something that might not have been mentioned. Since the demo units have no foot pedal, its done automatically for you in the game, correct? I wonder if theyll give you that option when you play the real game (like no pedal on easy, but on medium/normal it comes into play)...

Also, from early reports, it looks like no Rock Band guitar can be used with GH3, but you CAN use the GH3 guitar on Rock Band! Seems like Activision were just being asses when it came to compatibility, huh?
    Mika: Where are you taking me, Gillian?
    Gillian: To look at videos on YouTube...
    Mika: *sigh* No more videos of a drunk Harry dancing with a dead Snatcher...
    Giliian: Nope, it's better...Its LiquidPolicenauts YouTube Videos!
    Gillian: And after that, you should also visit
    The Policenauts Paradise and Snatcher Shrine

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NE146 View Post
    I'm not too excited about the rest of the instruments so I'm wondering how would this game be if taken purely as a "Guitar Hero" game... in other words if you totally ignore everything else, does this title stand on it's own if you purely played the guitar on it?
    The head editor of Game Informer was on one of the local morning shows and he said the guitar parts in Rock Band aren't done as well as Guitar Hero (they're simpler), but they're still pretty fun.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Lord Helmet's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    xL0RD HELMETx

Quote Originally Posted by NE146 View Post
    I only found out today (haven't been keeping up) that the Rock Band
    I'm not interested in singing at all, but I'd like to play it as a GH game...and maybe check out the drums as well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    VGKYOURMOM

Ok, I wasn't sure if I wanted this, but being I just paid $110 for guitar hero 3 w/ extras. This isn't much more. Plus I have a feeling you won't be able to find it at Christmas.

So if anyone else really wants one you can order them on their website with shippment on the 20th with only $7 shipping.

http://www.rockband.com/

Banana (Level 7) kaedesdisciple's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    JOEY BLACKOUTS
    PSN
    JOEY_BLACKOUTS

Quote Originally Posted by dave2236 View Post
    Ok, I wasn't sure if I wanted this, but being I just paid $110 for guitar hero 3 w/ extras. This isn't much more. Plus I have a feeling you won't be able to find it at Christmas.

So if anyone else really wants one you can order them on their website with shippment on the 20th with only $7 shipping.

http://www.rockband.com/
    Preorder of the 360 version is already sold out in the online store. Seems they still have PS3 ones, though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Has there been any word of pre-order bonuses?

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by carlcarlson View Post
    Has there been any word of pre-order bonuses?
    Yeah the bonus is you actually get the game in 2007.
    #vbender