Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Collectors ONLY: How obsessed are you with owning MINT games:

1 Hit Point
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Collectors ONLY: How obsessed are you with owning MINT games:

Okay I have to admit I have OCD! What this means is that I must own the absolute MINT copy of any game I can find! When I bought my PS3, the box had a slight corner bend. I immediately returned the console o the store to get a new one, because it wsn't "mint!" The new box is defect free. Checking it for half an hour under intense light paid off-!

When I buy CD based games, I have to buy them new, and the inner insert must be mint wih no warping or damage! One thing I HATE about PS2 games is that the manuals bang against the inner well of the game case and cause corner damage and edge wear! Same is true for Xbox games!

My question is: Are there any other collectors or even gamers like this? Or am I taking this whole "mint" think to far? I have had many collectors see my collection and actually tell me, its mint alright, but you don't play it at all do you?

Again, maybe I'm just in need a good shrink! Are there any who specialize in OCD with collectibles? I can't belive I'm writing this, but I just wanted to hear some other thoughts on this subject!

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I only collect boxed games in very good or better condition. If I just want to play a cartridge format game, I might pick up the cart for cheap and then sell/trade it later.

As long as the condition is reasonably good, I don't worry too much about it.

I will never buy greatest hits versions of games, or similar...only the original artwork.

That's about it.
    Last edited by Family Computer; 08-22-2007 at 02:35 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    hwj_chim

The stuff must look nice but I don't need mint
    SEGA!

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    geneshifter

For my systems, I only collect the games I like(d) to play on them and I will search until I get a mint copy. I've even ended up buying a game several times trying to get as good of a copy as possible. My next endeavor is to start my NES collection with games complete in box. I would love to do a sealed NES collection but that takes too much $$$$.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

All depends on price. If I am going to spend $$$$$ then I want mint and complete. If I'm getting a $50 game for $5, I take what I can get.

I'm obsessive about getting all the spine cards for my Neo Geo CD collection -- but its only ~100 games, so it's not that difficult. Case condition isn't so important as long as its intact as they can always be replaced, but I like a very nice manual and a minty CD. Of course the Neo CDs have their special jewel case which is a bit of a problem to find if I need a replacement...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

I buy new Gamecube cases from the Nintendo store and PS2 and Xbox demo cases to replace damaged cases of used games.

I also never buy used games that don't have the instruction manual or GBA or DS games that don't have their original box/case. How does someone loose a DS case? Seriously.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Banana (Level 7) kaedesdisciple's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    JOEY BLACKOUTS
    PSN
    JOEY_BLACKOUTS

Quote Originally Posted by heybtbm View Post
    I buy new Gamecube cases from the Nintendo store and PS2 and Xbox demo cases to replace damaged cases of used games.

I also never buy used games that don't have the instruction manual or GBA or DS games that don't have their original box/case. How does someone loose a DS case? Seriously.
    How does someone lose one of the dvd-size cases, either? There are tons of used disc games at EB/GS that have no cases.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

Quote Originally Posted by kaedesdisciple View Post
    How does someone lose one of the dvd-size cases, either? There are tons of used disc games at EB/GS that have no cases.
    It's rather easy-lots of games are previous rentals, so no case. That, and if you're like me, if you trade in games you keep the cases and only offload the discs themselves.

I don't have an OCD buying stuff, but I will get a wild hair up my ass on occasion and nitpick when cleaning and organizing.

Particular genres and series that I enjoy are scrutinized closely, but other stuff I don't pay that close attention to. As long as it works and looks decent, I'm OK with it.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

I am in no way a "mint" game collector. I buy disk only games with scratches on em. I buy cart only games with minor label wear. If its a game I want and the price is right, I will buy it. Some games that I buy, I look at them and wonder if they are even going to work, but I take the risk anyways. I'll buy disk only games off e-bay just to reduce cost. So as you can see, I really don't care about it much.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Chrozi

Default kinda

I like my games to be in mint condition. If I get the game in mint condition, it will stay that way. If I have a choice, I'll go for the one that looks the best.
    But I'm also a frugal gamer. I usually wait to find a used copy somewhere or a sale. So for example God of War II. I didnt snag it on the first day, but when one was traded in a few days later with a chewed up case, I picked up that one. BUT, dont think for a second that I"m not going switch out that case later!
    "Oh my lord it's nutty, yup!"

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

When i buy GBA games they must be mint, or atleast near mint. Its not that hard to find most GBA games today (atleast after my experience) that are new or near mint so when i first buy them they must be in very good condition. I recently bought 3 new GBA games on Ebay, when i got the 2 of the boxes had heavy damage on them. I will demand a refund or else i must return them since they dont really fit as collection materia in this condition :\

I also collect NES. Of course i want the games to be in the best condition possible, but its not that big of a deal if there are some wear here and there. Same goes with Neo Geo and SNES games too when i buy those.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jajaja View Post
    When i buy GBA games they must be mint, or atleast near mint. Its not that hard to find most GBA games today (atleast after my experience) that are new or near mint so when i first buy them they must be in very good condition. I recently bought 3 new GBA games on Ebay, when i got the 2 of the boxes had heavy damage on them. I will demand a refund or else i must return them since they dont really fit as collection materia in this condition :\

I also collect NES. Of course i want the games to be in the best condition possible, but its not that big of a deal if there are some wear here and there. Same goes with Neo Geo and SNES games too when i buy those.
    I buy mostly Sega stuff, specially for the Master System, and at least most Sega games have plastic box, except GameGear which games comes with cardboard boxes. Games with cardboard box is hard to collect for.

Recently I got the Turbografx-16/Duo collecting bug, that means that the games must have the cardboard boxes, and yes, as mint as possible.

1 Hit Point
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default This is a great thread....

Just wanted to say thanks for all the responses. Its great to hear what other collectors have to say about this particular topic!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I don't really see the value of sealed games, but I'll freely admit that I'll always trade up a game for a better condition one, as money allows. I mostly just have a giant "buying backlog" for a number of consoles, to be worked on when I get some free cash

1 Hit Point
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I often did collect sealed games, but then I lost interest in it and started to open them up. I was more amazed at what I found when I opened some so called "new" games up! I'm talking damaged manuals with edge wear from shipping and other such problems that keep the games from mint.

Its amazing at what you find! Free your games! I know I won't buy a new game unless I get to see it first hand. I have bought too many so called sealed games on eBay that turned out to be re-wraps!

Banana (Level 7) snes_collector's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

For carts, they need to have no rips, otherwise I'm fine.

The only systems that I'll only buy CIB is GC, Wii, and DS

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    pony0ne

Off topic, but I swore the title read:

"Collectors ONLY: How obsessed are you with owning TMNT games" when I saw it two or three times scrolling up/down.

I hate when that happens.
    gamertag: pony0ne
    Wii friend: 6437 2281 7665 7241
    http://youtube.com/patrolskies - Patrol The Skies

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    jdotaku

Yeah your taking it to seriously, for me it depends on the game and pricing but generally I just want a game that works and is reasonably priced

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Having games complete is a must, consoles preferable but I give leeway to some (Dina). The packaging for games gotta be at least in good condition but for consoles, I cut some slack, especially old ones like Odysseys.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The only thing I'm overly anal about is disc based games. I want the whole case and instruction to be top notch, no loose discs.

Carts I'm a bit more lenient about. Especially vintage games. I have no problem with just buying a loose cart for a good price.
    May 19, 1998
    "Fever gone but itchy. Hungry and eat doggy food. Itchy. Itchy. Scott came. Ugly face so killed him. Tasty."
    ~ Keeper's Diary