Thread: Should I get the Messiah or the FC Twin NES?

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Should I get the Messiah or the FC Twin NES?

I've had it with my toaster NES. Ive replaced the pins several times and games continue to blink. I am looking to replace it with something that has atleast composite out, so the Official Top Loader is out of the question. Between the Messiah and FC Twin, which one plays NES games better? I have no real interest in SNES or Famicom games.
    eBay Feedback / eBay Auctions

Great Puma (Level 12) bangtango's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GizmoGC View Post
    I've had it with my toaster NES. Ive replaced the pins several times and games continue to blink. I am looking to replace it with something that has atleast composite out, so the Official Top Loader is out of the question. Between the Messiah and FC Twin, which one plays NES games better? I have no real interest in SNES or Famicom games.
    No interest in the SNES? Then don't get the FC Twin. The FC Twin does not allow you to use NES controllers, you are stuck using Super NES ones. That is what the controller ports in the FC Twin takes. This means you are not able to use the zapper, the dogbones, the stock NES controller, the NES Max or the NES Advantage.

I have the Generation NEX (official name for the "Messiah") and I am happy with it. I am damned if I'll be a slave to replacing/fixing 72 pin connectors for the rest of my life so I don't mind the fact the Generation NEX doesn't play Castlevania III and a couple dozen other games. Only trouble with the Generation NEX by Messiah is that it is high priced. People say it is no better than a $20 Yobo FC Game Console which is BS. n8littlefield (a user here) did an article and proved otherwise. Neither one of them play Castlevania III but the games that both of them do play (the same list of titles) look and sound better on the Generation NEX than an original Yobo, bottom line.

Just to clarify:

-Yobo FC Game Console: NES compatible clone that is like $20, came out before the Generation NEX, compatible with the same games as the Generation NEX but the NEX plays those games a little better
    -FC Twin: NES and Super NES compatible clone, takes both games but only SNES controllers and is made by the Yobo company, came out last year

see www.yobogroup.com for more on those two

see. www.playmessiah.com for more on the Generation NEX

see n8littlefield's article on the Generation NEX/Yobo comparison here:

http://www.runjumpshoot.com/content/11/1/NES-Console-Buyer's-Guide.html

It is a long one (but worth reading) so get a couple of drinks and some lunch before reading.
    Last edited by bangtango; 07-01-2007 at 12:00 PM.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I had the Yobo before and it was just way to ugly. How hard is it to take out and put in NES games for the Generation NEX? Looks like I would need to hold the system down to remove them. Is it a tight fit?

Hopefully mu local Game Crazy still have the Generation NEX instock or I'll have to resort to ebay.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

I had the Yobo before and it was just way to ugly. How hard is it to take out and put in NES games for the Generation NEX? Looks like I would need to hold the system down to remove them. Is it a tight fit?

Hopefully mu local Game Crazy still have the Generation NEX instock or I'll have to resort to ebay.
    I just edited my original reply to you, so go back and reread

The Generation NEX games go in the front like your toaster but the connectors don't wear out so your games always fire up on the first try unless they are dirty.

The games go in pretty smoothly. How are they coming out? It isn't any harder to take the games out of the NEX than it is to take the Game Genie out of your toaster NES. It is certainly easier than getting them out of some Yobo's which can be a tight fit.

By the way, the SNES-style shoulder pads on the stock Generation NEX controllers can double as A or B buttons in all of the games I played. It is set up like a regular NES controller but with the two top buttons.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

They all use the same exact NOAC(Nes on a Chip) for emulation, with no real differences other then the consoles aesthetic look and price. 60$ for a NEX Vrs 15-20$ for a different one that does the exact same thing.

I do recall some old posts and articles, with a side-by-side comparison showing that the NEX has worse compatibility then the Yobo. (Mainly in the form of some games having differing colours then what would be displayed on a real NES) But with them both using the same exact NOAC, i'm not entirely sure how thats possible. (shrug)

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Very hard, so hard that I broke my system.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Neither. Get a Toploader and then get someone on here to mod it with AV ports. Several people on DP do this mod for a price. That way you can play good games like Castlevania III.

-GAC-
    #vbender

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Modded Xbox & teh r0Mz FTW

You sure your games aren't just dirty? All my original NES toasters still work fine, esepecially after I go and bend the pins upward a little bit. I mean, I do have to give it a blowjob or shimmy it around sometimes, but it's not a big problem.

Anyway, I'd get a NEX just because they don't have that cheap bootleg flavor of a Yobo.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by XYXZYZ View Post
    Modded Xbox & teh r0Mz FTW

You sure your games aren't just dirty? All my original NES toasters still work fine, esepecially after I go and bend the pins upward a little bit. I mean, I do have to give it a blowjob or shimmy it around sometimes, but it's not a big problem.

Anyway, I'd get a NEX just because they don't have that cheap bootleg flavor of a Yobo.
    I have a modded Xbox but I still like using an actual NES controller.

Well, I bought a Gen NEX and the wireless controllers today at Game Crazy. So far, so good. My Famicom XX in 1's work but have really bad graphical images, but regular NES games work fine.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Just Cut Pin 4 in the NES problem solved & you could play PAL games also

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GrandAmChandler View Post
    Neither. Get a Toploader and then get someone on here to mod it with AV ports. Several people on DP do this mod for a price. That way you can play good games like Castlevania III.

-GAC-
    On the flipside.... wouldn't an AV Famicom with a US converter be much the same thing?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Like Bangtango said, it depends on what you're willing to spend. The Messiah is like a nice sports car-- it looks cool, has awesome packaging, performs well... but at a price. The Yobo is like a crappy old station wagon... it looks ugly and cheap. But, in the end, both will get you from point A to point B.... they both play the same NES games. So it depends on how much you care about the extra features. The Messiah also has a slot on that top that plays JP Famicom games. If you do go for the Messiah, try to search for used ones on eBay rather than paying the high price for a new one.

I personally chose the Messiah because I was willing to invest the extra cash in a nice looking system (and heard that there were less compatibility issues). But, if your strapped for cash at the moment (or would prefer to invest it towards NES games) than nothing wrong with the Yobos.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MF_Luder View Post
    Like Bangtango said, it depends on what you're willing to spend. The Messiah is like a nice sports car-- it looks cool, has awesome packaging, performs well... but at a price. The Yobo is like a crappy old station wagon... it looks ugly and cheap. But, in the end, both will get you from point A to point B.... they both play the same NES games. So it depends on how much you care about the extra features. The Messiah also has a slot on that top that plays JP Famicom games. If you do go for the Messiah, try to search for used ones on eBay rather than paying the high price for a new one.

I personally chose the Messiah because I was willing to invest the extra cash in a nice looking system (and heard that there were less compatibility issues). But, if your strapped for cash at the moment (or would prefer to invest it towards NES games) than nothing wrong with the Yobos.
    Besides the Messiah people promote a "lifetime warranty" for the Generation NEX system, meaning they do promise to repair/replace a defective one for as long as you own it. Assuming you don't void it, of course, by opening it up or something like that. I don't think you'll see the Yobo people doing that. The NES warranties are long expired and any seller you buy them from these days isn't going to be offering a "lifetime warranty" on original Nintendo hardware.

I've never used Messiah's lifetime warranty, though I could have if I pursued it hard enough. A friend of mine gave me a Generation NEX as a gift, from the very first shipment, and that one actually was defective. It worked very poorly for about two days then died. I knew about the warranty but never bothered to research it because I figured they might want to see an original receipt somewhere along the line and my friend either still had it on him or never saved it. I didn't want to hurt my friend's feelings by saying his gift was "broken" and that I needed the receipt from him, so I quietly sold it online as non-working for about half the original price. A few weeks later, I bought myself another one with my own money. It has worked great for me ever since then. So in reality, I only invested about $30 into mine. I was thinking about buying one well before I received it as a gift, anyway.