Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sony Pisses Off the English

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Sony Pisses Off the English

LONDON (AP) - The Church of England accused Sony Corp. (SNE) on Saturday of using an English cathedral as the backdrop to a violent computer game and said it should be withdrawn from shop shelves.

Full Story

Sony just can't seem to catch a break.
    Last edited by Griking; 06-09-2007 at 11:14 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It is well known that Manchester has a gun crime problem.
    Gee, and I thought that banning guns completely was supposed to solve Britain's gun problems.

/sarcasm

This is stupid. Unless they've somehow copywritten the image of their church, how can you possibly bring a legal action for that?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

Quote Originally Posted by Griking View Post
    Sony just can't seem to catch a break.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

ServBot (Level 11) Iron Draggon's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FantasiaWHT View Post
    Gee, and I thought that banning guns completely was supposed to solve Britain's gun problems.

/sarcasm

This is stupid. Unless they've somehow copywritten the image of their church, how can you possibly bring a legal action for that?
    that's what I wanna know... who the hell does the Church of England think they are? you have to get their permission to put their Cathedral in a game? I hope they release an addon that lets you kill all the guys wearing robes there
    You can't run with the big dogs if you pee like a puppy!

Get BIT!

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Its a pretty stupid case indeed. I do understand their point of view to a certaint point tho, but to sue over something like this is pretty strange in my opinion. Its not the first game who use accurate models of something that excist in real life. And why do they take this up now? The game have been out for like half a year (almost 3 months in England tho, but still). And why isnt Insomniac Games mentioned? They developed the game :P
    Last edited by jajaja; 06-09-2007 at 05:36 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Draggon View Post
    that's what I wanna know... who the hell does the Church of England think they are? you have to get their permission to put their Cathedral in a game? I hope they release an addon that lets you kill all the guys wearing robes there
    They have free speech to bitch about it. But sueing is a different matter , hopefully they come up with a arrangement.
    U GAIZ JUST DONT LIKE CHANGE , (builds a artificial foundation here)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

On one hand, I can see the church not wanting to have their cathedral being shown in a violent game. How did they get the layout of the cathedral in the first place? Did they copy any blueprints? In the worst case scenario, Sony will just have to alter the map to look less like the cathedral in question. I don't think they're going to lose any money over it. (Granted, I'm unfamilliar with the British legal system, so maybe there are other rules about lawsuits and payouts.)

If I had a Jynx think of the things we can do together. She also kisses alot.
    Not to mention her breast plates is obviously hiding something nice
    The of Jynx as a XXX doll pokemon. -Rugal Sizzler

┏┫∵┣┛My Collection┏┫∵┣┛

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well since the church is so old it's definitely possible that the blueprints are probaly in the public domain, which means the lawsuit is frivilous and plainly stupid IMO

"With Great Power Comes Great Responisibility"
    Wanting to Collect full set of Super Nintendo Games as well as Dreamcast Games.

http://users.ign.com/collection/Lothars

ServBot (Level 11) Iron Draggon's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

well maybe it's just me, but the very fact that it's a CHURCH places it in the public domain, IMHO... so the stupid robes just need to get the hell over it... legal action... give me a break... if the church is stupid enough to waste its money suing over this, I hope that Sony files a counter suit and wins bigtime!
    You can't run with the big dogs if you pee like a puppy!

Get BIT!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I hope the church wins for fun times sake , not my country.
    Last edited by Richter Belmount; 06-10-2007 at 02:27 AM.
    U GAIZ JUST DONT LIKE CHANGE , (builds a artificial foundation here)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I hope they win it because stupid gamers would be against it no matter what the case was.

"Well since the church is so old it's definitely possible that the blueprints are probaly in the public domain, which means the lawsuit is frivilous and plainly stupid IMO"

What does that have to do with it? I can buy blueprints to a B-17 online, but that doesn't mean I can create a WWII flight simulator and put it in there without securing a license from Boeing.

"And why do they take this up now? The game have been out for like half a year (almost 3 months in England tho, but still). "

I suspect the leaders of the Church of England aren't buying and playing through each PS3 release the moment it comes out. I'm sure it took a while for them to discover that this took place, and they've surely debated what course of action to take before taking it public.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 06-10-2007 at 02:43 AM.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_Ames View Post
    "Well since the church is so old it's definitely possible that the blueprints are probaly in the public domain, which means the lawsuit is frivilous and plainly stupid IMO"

What does that have to do with it? I can buy blueprints to a B-17 online, but that doesn't mean I can create a WWII flight simulator and put it in there without securing a license from Boeing.
    Its alittle different. B-17 isnt public domain, it belongs to Boeing and they can sell the name/license to anyone they want, but who owns the Manchester cathedral? Who do you have to pay to get a license to use the cathedral? I thought churches were "owned" by everyone. Or possibly the goverment own them in that way as they manage/build/restore the churches.

"And why do they take this up now? The game have been out for like half a year (almost 3 months in England tho, but still). "

I suspect the leaders of the Church of England aren't buying and playing through each PS3 release the moment it comes out. I'm sure it took a while for them to discover that this took place, and they've surely debated what course of action to take before taking it public.
    True, but the game is pretty popular so i would think it would be known quicker. Or maybe things like this do take some time, dont know.
    Last edited by jajaja; 06-10-2007 at 06:33 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I hope they win it because stupid gamers would be against it no matter what the case was
    Man that's an idiotic post

There's no way they can win this case, I would be shocked if the Blueprints for the church isn't in the public domain and if that's the case than this case is just a stupid.

"With Great Power Comes Great Responisibility"
    Wanting to Collect full set of Super Nintendo Games as well as Dreamcast Games.

http://users.ign.com/collection/Lothars

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

out of curiosity, in the game is the inside of the cathedral actually used or do you just see it from the outside?

And if the Boeing B-17 is still protected, it's done so with a patent. I doubt you can patent a building.

And the church is owned by the Anglican Church, I would wager.

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

Quote Originally Posted by FantasiaWHT View Post
    out of curiosity, in the game is the inside of the cathedral actually used or do you just see it from the outside?
    There's a mass (read 30-40 people) shootout inside the cathedral... plus it's an area for the multiplayer.

Whilst it sounds a silly thing to sue over, I can well imagine why, because you don't want killing depicted inside a holy place. And you can recognise it's Manchester Cathedral apparently, it's that accurate. The developers did their homework on the place.

TV and films need permission to shoot footage in many locations, I wonder as graphics start to get so photorealistic, whether software companies will need the same as well to recreate something that exists?!

I don't think the Church will win because I don't think any case is strong enough, just moral objections, but it might set a precident for depiction of real life places in future games.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I saw this on my local news last night. when you put the game footage next to the real place it looks very similar except in the game it's all smashed up.

I can see the church's point of view especially as there have been a couple of high profile gun crimes in recent months in manchester as well.

i'm pretty sure that in films you have to get permission to film in certain locations (including catherdrals). looks like video games will be going the same way. rockstar may start having a similar problem with GTAIV, although they changed the names of everything.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Using a church as the setting for a shootout is almost passe at this point. It's been done a million times, in movies and video games and anime and whatnot. Why is the Church of England only now getting pissed off?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I wonder how much the necessity of getting a locale's permission to shoot a movie there is more about the disruption and inconvenience of the filming itself than any concern about the locale's "image". The former wouldn't help the church in its argument at all.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

so wait .. as soon as they can produce a living chimera SONY should pull it off the shelf

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    monkeysuit89

The only thing that came to my mind after reading that article was the countless shoot outs in churches I have played through in all of the CoD and Medal of Honor games. The funny thing about that is, in those games you actually are fighting humans. In the level they are suing over you fight - drum roll - chimera. Why is this just now becoming an issue?