Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Deadly Premonition! The WTF of the Year?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    StetsonGraves

I'm halfway through, so far so good. If you grew up playing PSX era survival horror games this is a must have. The Gamestop I bought mine from had three copies and when I asked for it the clerk had never heard of it before.

My only real complaint is with the annoying wall crawling enemies, but the conversation about the bizarre sandwich in the diner makes me forget all about them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Bought this the other day and the clerk at gamestop told me not to purchase it and that it was terrible.

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've heard them say the same thing about Wartech and EDF 2017... They know not what they speak of.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Lamer Gamer Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

Quote Originally Posted by thetoxicone View Post
    Bought this the other day and the clerk at gamestop told me not to purchase it and that it was terrible.
    These men are fools.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Young_Machete

Quote Originally Posted by thetoxicone View Post
    Did you ask them if they actually played it and weren't just going by the IGN review?

Breaking Bad 3x02 - Caballo Sin Nombre

Too Old for this Crap Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    QOF
    3DS Friend
    3308-4993-4867

I would happily pay $59.99 just for the "Cat Fight" chapter alone. Good lord, what the hell was that?
    "I am way too lesbian for that shit."

Insert Coin (Level 0) phantomfriar's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Man, this game is more than a little inspired by TWIN PEAKS -- the music, characters, settings and mood (right down to the lead guy talking to "Zach" the same way Dale Cooper did to "Diane" on the old series) are more than a bit the same, lol.

It's like if you had a Japanese developer try to make a TWIN PEAKS game, couldn't get the license, and then applied RESIDENT EVIL 4 shooting and aiming to the game -- you'd end up with this.

Utterly bizarre, VERY playable though and a lot of fun!!
    Last edited by phantomfriar; 03-30-2010 at 03:56 PM.

Too Old for this Crap Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    QOF
    3DS Friend
    3308-4993-4867

I just finished this last night and I absolutely freakin' LOVED IT. The first two hours or so are pretty sloppy, but around the middle of chapter two it starts picking up. Chapter four was full of one "OMFG!" moment after the other. I still don't care for the "otherworld" parts that much, but the "main" part of the game is just so over the top with tons of ridiculous moments which made it quite enjoyable. This isn't merely a game, this is ART.

Now I have to replay it and do the sidequests and card collecting. I know I missed out on a ton of stuff by skipping those.
    "I am way too lesbian for that shit."

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sounds like it's fair to say that this gen finally got it's Killer 7.

Got the game, now I have to get a 360... *Is it sad that this game is driving me toward buying one - after all this time?* Not at all Zach!

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

For those on the fence...this is Amazon's DOTD. $14.99 today (Wednesday) only.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Quote Originally Posted by heybtbm View Post
    For those on the fence...this is Amazon's DOTD. $14.99 today (Wednesday) only.
    This really ticked me off, since I purchased it yesterday for $20 at GameStop!

But on the bright side, it's so corny, that I found myself liking it. It reminded me a bit of another game...Illbleed. Not that they are similar, because they are not, just the..."campiness".
    Proud owner of a Neo 25 Neo Geo Candy Cab!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Young_Machete

I picked this game up after getting a pretty good deal for a 360, hell this is one of the main reasons I wanted to get a 360 and I was looking for any excuse to get one to play it. So far I'm enjoying the hell out of it and was well worth the price of admission.

I don't understand a lot of the complaints I've seen about the game, from it having "horrible graphics", to the controls completely sucking, I just don't see it at all. The controls are rather good when compares to other survival horror games and hell you can even strife while aiming, something not even the more recent Resident Evil games let you do. The graphics are decent enough, it's lacking that certain polish we've gotten use to, but they aren't nearly as bad as people try to say they are. Of course the story is pretty damn interesting and the characters are extremely colorful, this game is as charming as it is bizarre and is becoming one of my favorite games of this generation.

Only complaint I agree with is that the driving is a bit wonky, but since you have more than enough time to get to your main objective, you can pretty much slam into everything while exploring the town without feeling rushed. Besides that, it's extremely well made for a budget title and has more thought put into it than majority of the games released this generation.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    b0xwater
    PSN
    is_vigilante

I suck so badly at the combat I have to play it on easy. Great story though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

In any case, I just finished this game and loved every minute of it!

Graphically, it's much better than what is stated. It's very detailed, but in a "last generation" sort of way. The story was a bit confusing at times, though really engaging.

SPOILERS!

I am not too sure, but are there different endings depending on the action you choose near the end? The one in which the player has to decide whether or not to kill Emily, York/Zach, or Kaysen. I chose Emily, and from the looks of it the ending might be the same for all selections.

Now to play the game on Easy and Hard, just to get the achievements. I will try to continue from the last chapter, the Epilogue chapter, but on hard, to see if I can access the "Hard" achievement.

Also, any idea on how to obtain he "Completed" achievement? Does it have to do with completing all side quests and/or collecting all cards? I am going to find more cards when I reload the game data, but I would like to know exactly how to achieve this.

Still, it was a great game and I hope they either continue the franchise or at least make similar games like this one.

The most disturbing part was Thomas as a woman... eww

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Young_Machete

Quote Originally Posted by megasdkirby View Post
    SPOILERS!

I am not too sure, but are there different endings depending on the action you choose near the end? The one in which the player has to decide whether or not to kill Emily, York/Zach, or Kaysen. I chose Emily, and from the looks of it the ending might be the same for all selections.
    SPOILERS SPOILERS AND MORE SPOILERS

I chose to shoot Kasen at first, she died anyway and Zach was sent back to the white room and York asks him if he wants to try again. I assumed it's the same if you decide to off yourself, not sure what happens if you say No to him tho.

The whole segment where Emily was running to the clock tower and it flashing back to York talking to Zach was great, the dialogue "between" them was put together really well. Thomas in drag was pretty creepy, especially with off keyed singing of Miss Stiletto Heels playing in the background, it really captured the disturbing factor of it all.

The ending hints at a sequel and I really hope they decide to make one, since I really enjoy my time with Zach and Francis York Morgan.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Quote Originally Posted by exit View Post
    SPOILERS SPOILERS AND MORE SPOILERS

I chose to shoot Kasen at first, she died anyway and Zach was sent back to the white room and York asks him if he wants to try again. I assumed it's the same if you decide to off yourself, not sure what happens if you say No to him tho.

The whole segment where Emily was running to the clock tower and it flashing back to York talking to Zach was great, the dialogue "between" them was put together really well. Thomas in drag was pretty creepy, especially with off keyed singing of Miss Stiletto Heels playing in the background, it really captured the disturbing factor of it all.

The ending hints at a sequel and I really hope they decide to make one, since I really enjoy my time with Zach and Francis York Morgan.

MASSIVE SPOILERS!!!

There is something that I just don't quite "get", however. It's the end, when you see all the girls, Emily and York (as well as Thomas) in the dinner, and York and Emily kiss. What I don't understand is how can both of them be together if York was simply a split personality? Or was he the ghost of another child? Or did his personality take a life of it's own?

In any case, I am trying to get all those trading cards, just to get the "completed" achievement. Then after I do that, I will replay in the future to get the EASY and HARD achievements.

Is it true that the game will be released for the PS3 later in 2010 (specifically in GameFaqs it says 2Q of 2010)? If so, would there be any differences? If there is at least one difference, it should be the ability to start a new game with all the items obtained in the first play-through, or at least the cards and the side quests related to the cards. This is why I want to get the cards now, so I don't have to worry about them later on in the game.

Also, I replayed the chapter where Zach gets to choose who to kill. The correct answer is Emily, so choosing the other two simply will return you to the selection screen, though Zach killing himself was quite shocking, to say the least.

I really do hope they continue the series. The dog holding Kaysen's doll did in fact seem to leave it at a cliffhanger, so I hope a second part comes to fruition.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Young_Machete

Quote Originally Posted by megasdkirby View Post
    MASSIVE SPOILERS!!!

There is something that I just don't quite "get", however. It's the end, when you see all the girls, Emily and York (as well as Thomas) in the dinner, and York and Emily kiss. What I don't understand is how can both of them be together if York was simply a split personality? Or was he the ghost of another child? Or did his personality take a life of it's own?
    What I got from it was that York was a presence that came to the aid of a traumatized Zach and simply took over for York until he was able to finally come to terms with what happened. In the end Zach was fianlly able to be on his own, thus York leaves him to be with Emily and the other Goddesses.

Is it true that the game will be released for the PS3 later in 2010 (specifically in GameFaqs it says 2Q of 2010)? If so, would there be any differences?
    Not sure how much different the game play or graphics are between the two versions, but the game was originally announced to be released on both consoles. This was slightly touched by an Ignition employee on their DP board and while they said they couldn't say why they ended up not releasing it for the PS3, the overwhelming positive feedback and sales of the 360 version may help them reconsider. Some think that it may be released on the PSN rather than as a hardcopy, since it will help it keep it's budget price. Regardless I'll buy a copy just to help support the game further.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rl2KdBs-EWs

My favorite tune in the game, but in 8-bit format!

Peach (Level 3) Princess-Isabela's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

this is one of the best games released in the last few years, full of surprises, top-notch storyline and memorable/lovable characters with fantastic soundtrack.
    combat is decent but nothing really worth writing about, it's just competent, at the same time the weakest part of the game because everything else is just awesome.
    graphics is a mixed bag, characters(main) look great, rain effects are really good, the open world textures are super weak but the development would cost a lot of money if they wanted to make open world aspect rich in details, overal looks passable, you're not playing it for graphics but for amazing twists and storyline, it's just a game you won't forget.
    and it costs only $19.99 in west(in Japan it goes for full retail price),
    get yourself a favor and buy it, it's the new shenmue! (kind of ^_~).
    Last edited by Princess-Isabela; 05-23-2010 at 04:38 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

After reading through this thread earlier in the summer I went and got a copy because I am a fan of "Twin Peaks" and wanted to see this for myself. However, it had to sit around for awhile because I was busy overhauling my guides.

After finishing that task I finally sat down to play around with this game. So far, I have only done the first chapter and trying to do the autopsy stuff.

You guys weren't kidding about the "Twin Peaks" influence. These guys must've seen every episode in that short lived series. The influence is so heavy one has to wonder if they had David Lynch guiding them from the sidelines.

The controls are less than desired but I am getting used to them. Given the size of the town this may take me awhile to finish.
    The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "save us!"......and I'll look down, and whisper "no."