Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DreamTR View Post
    I own about 100 stand up arcade games with around 14 pinball machines and around 150 Jamma/Non Jamma PCBs that are all different...
    so out of your vast collection what're the highlights?

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Drakon View Post
    so out of your vast collection what're the highlights?
    For pinball, a Twilight ZOne and a Tales of the Arabian Nights

PCB boards, the rarest I have is an unreleased Punky DOodle with marquee and side art, and a unreleased Tenth Degree

Arcade machines...hard to say, I have a Gauntlet Dark Legacy and Blitz 99 dedicated that have never been on location, classic games: dedicated Donkey Kong Junior, Dedicated Mario Bros Widebody, dedicated Dig Dug, I mean, it's random, really

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Reposting my list (which is pages back) with updates. But first...here's what I USED to own. I got this entire lot (and there were over 60 machines in it) for $550 Also came with something like 10 boxes of classic PCBs, and another 5 of manuals and such, as well as stacks of boxes of parts, coin mechs, pinball machine legs, and more....

Not pictured:
    Q-Bert (dead)
    Major Havoc (flyback toast)
    Playboy pinball
    Joust 2 Player cocktail pinball (needed a LOT of TLC)
    Kiss pinball
    Spy Hunter pinball
    Some of the cabs
    A bunch more NSM and other jukeboxes (all 45s)

scooterb: "I once shot a man in Catan, just to watch him die."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

And here's what I own now:

Along with these PCBs:

Neo Geo MVS games:
    Alpha Mission II US MVS cart
    Andro Dunos US MVS Kit #059284
    Blazing Star US MVS cart
    Burning Fight US MVS cart
    Crossed Swords US MVS cart # 019532
    Cyber-Lip
    King of Fighters '98
    Last Resort MVS cart # 041281
    Magical Drop 2 US MVS cart # 000036
    Magician Lord
    Metal Slug US MVS Kit # 008103
    Metal Slug 3 US MVS Kit # 40633
    Neo Drift Out
    Ninja Combat US MVS cart
    Ninja Commando US MVS cart
    Pulstar US MVS cart
    Sengoku 3 US MVS cart
    Shock Troopers
    Shock Troopers 2 US MVS Kit # 010347
    The Last Blade
    Top Hunter
    Twinkle Star Sprites MVS cart
    Viewpoint
    Windjammers US MVS cart

Arcade Games
    19XX: The War of Destiny (CPS2, suicided)
    1944: The Loop Master (CPS2)
    Armed Police Batrider (Raizing)
    Brave Blade (Raizing)
    Buster Bros.
    Cadash
    Cadillacs & Dinosaurs (bootleg)
    Change Air Blade (quite rare)
    Columns '97 (ST-V cart)
    Contra
    Cotton 2 (ST-V cart)
    Cotton Boomerang (ST-V cart)
    Die Hard Trilogy (ST-V cart)
    Dodonpachi Dai Ou Jou (white label, battery removed)
    Dogyuun (Toaplan)
    Dungeons & Dragons: Tower of Doom (CPS2)
    Dynasty Wars (Tenchi Wo Kurao)
    Esp.Ra.De (Cave)
    Exvania (sooooo rare)
    Great Mahou Daisakusen (CPS2, Raizing)
    Guardian Force (ST-V cart)
    Gunforce (Irem)
    Heavy Unit
    Hellfire (Toaplan)
    Karnov (Data East)
    Knights of the Round (Capcom)
    Mr. Driller 2 (Namco)
    Neo Geo One-Slot motherboard
    Night Raid (G-Net card)
    Out Zone (Toaplan)
    Psyvariar Medium Unit (GNet card)
    Psyvariar Revision (GNet card)
    Puyo Puyo Sun (ST-V cart)
    Progear No Arashi (CPS2, bootleg)
    Rabbit Punch (scrambled)
    Rally Bike (Toaplan)
    R-Type (Irem)
    R-Type II
    R-Type Leo (Irem)
    Sega ST-V motherboard (Dual Bios)
    Shienryu (ST-V cart)
    Shikigami No Shiro (GNet card)
    Sidearms (scrambled)
    Sky Shark (Toaplan)
    Soukyugurentai/Terra Diver (Raizing)
    Snow Bros: Nick & Tom (Toaplan)
    Star Trigon
    Super Contra (Konami)
    Super Puzzle Bobble (GNet card)
    Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo (CPS2)
    Taito G-Net motherboard (V2)
    Tank Force (Namco)
    Tatsujin Oh! (Toaplan)
    Truxton (Toaplan)
    V-V (Toaplan)
    Varth: Operation Thunderbolt (Capcom)
    Warriors of Fate (Capcom, bootleg)
    Winter Heat (ST-V cart)
    Wyvern Wings
    XII Stag (GNet card)
    X-Multiply (Irem)
    Zero Wing (Toaplan)

WHEW! I think that's it for now....don't have anything else coming in at the moment either as far as I know....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by maxlords View Post
    Reposting my list (which is pages back) with updates. But first...here's what I USED to own. I got this entire lot (and there were over 60 machines in it) for $550 Also came with something like 10 boxes of classic PCBs, and another 5 of manuals and such, as well as stacks of boxes of parts, coin mechs, pinball machine legs, and more....
    Ah man is that cool! Those two Mata Hari pinballs look nice, currently rebuilding the backbox to mine. Can't say I've seen a lot of that size go up on one listing, was it an auction or someone tell you about a place that was closing? Seems like an incredible score and unless you had a storage warehouse or retail front I cannot see having so many machines on-hand. That's also a good number of trips with a 24' truck unless the property conveyed with the machines!
    [Website] [Gallary] [Games List] [DP Feedback]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cyberfluxor View Post
    Ah man is that cool! Those two Mata Hari pinballs look nice, currently rebuilding the backbox to mine. Can't say I've seen a lot of that size go up on one listing, was it an auction or someone tell you about a place that was closing? Seems like an incredible score and unless you had a storage warehouse or retail front I cannot see having so many machines on-hand. That's also a good number of trips with a 24' truck unless the property conveyed with the machines!
    It was a lot that belonged to the dad of a girl I went to university with. He had em all in storage since the 80s when the arcade he was a part of folded, and didn't want to see em all go the landfill so he saved his favorites. Unfortunately he couldn't afford the storage fees any longer, so I took them all off his hands for free. It cost me $550 to rent the 2 semi trailers to haul em all in

I tried opening up a retro arcade but it ended up failing due to poor demand, limited advertising, and location. I had to store the whole lot in a warehouse in the back of my friend's bookstore (free rent though) and he didn't want to run it while the bookstore was open. I sold and traded machines for the repairs and to pay for repainting and wiring up the warehouse to use as an arcade. With my limited income....it was a total failure since I couldn't get a decent location. Ended up selling the lot for 10K to someone on the newsgroups, they came and took it all away. It was a hell of an experience though...and every single machine in there got the hell played out of it!

From the sales.....I gave half to my friend's dad too. I ended up coming out a few grand ahead and I had a lot of fun...but I'd never buy a lot that big again!

As for the pins, one of those Mata Haris worked well, the other, not so much. Not pictured were also a Flash Gordon, a Bally Playboy, a Bally Kiss, the Spy Hunter I bought (fully shopped for $500) and the Joust

On top of that, the guy that fixed my machines lent me a High Speed, a Pinbot, and a Bride of Pinbot to use as well. He lent me a few other machines too....Aliens, Carrier Airwing, etc, as well as a couple of pool tables. I wish I'd thought to take better pictures back then but there were a few other swank machines in there, like a working Phoenix, a Gunsmoke, and a few others I can't remember off the top of my head, as well as a couple of non-working EMs, a dead 2 player Super Sprint, and a handful of other goodies.
    Last edited by maxlords; 04-28-2011 at 01:58 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It was a lot that belonged to the dad of a girl I went to university with. He had em all in storage since the 80s when the arcade he was a part of folded, and didn't want to see em all go the landfill so he saved his favorites. Unfortunately he couldn't afford the storage fees any longer, so I took them all off his hands for free. It cost me $550 to rent the 2 semi trailers to haul em all in

I tried opening up a retro arcade but it ended up failing due to poor demand, limited advertising, and location. I had to store the whole lot in a warehouse in the back of my friend's bookstore (free rent though) and he didn't want to run it while the bookstore was open. I sold and traded machines for the repairs and to pay for repainting and wiring up the warehouse to use as an arcade. With my limited income....it was a total failure since I couldn't get a decent location. Ended up selling the lot for 10K to someone on the newsgroups, they came and took it all away. It was a hell of an experience though...and every single machine in there got the hell played out of it!

From the sales.....I gave half to my friend's dad too. I ended up coming out a few grand ahead and I had a lot of fun...but I'd never buy a lot that big again!

As for the pins, one of those Mata Haris worked well, the other, not so much. Not pictured were also a Flash Gordon, a Bally Playboy, a Bally Kiss, the Spy Hunter I bought (fully shopped for $500) and the Joust

On top of that, the guy that fixed my machines lent me a High Speed, a Pinbot, and a Bride of Pinbot to use as well. He lent me a few other machines too....Aliens, Carrier Airwing, etc, as well as a couple of pool tables. I wish I'd thought to take better pictures back then but there were a few other swank machines in there, like a working Phoenix, a Gunsmoke, and a few others I can't remember off the top of my head, as well as a couple of non-working EMs, a dead 2 player Super Sprint, and a handful of other goodies.
    Wow man, good story!

A handful of us out here have been thinking about opening a place with an arcade and pinball row, maybe 20 machines. Other ideas bouncing around to be included in the space, but man is the risk high but the location could be incredible due to the foot traffic it receives. Just don't know, times are so flaky and a few of the arcade spots here have closed up their extra locations or relocated to high traffic spots. If they had the pockets to research the market then it may not be a good idea to attempt near their old turf.

The Gentleman Thief Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    BalooDP
    Steam
    baloorj

Wow, that really is an awesome story dude! How long was your arcade open for? Love the pics too, that's a really nice selection of great games!

Quote Originally Posted by cyberfluxor View Post
    Wow man, good story!

A handful of us out here have been thinking about opening a place with an arcade and pinball row, maybe 20 machines. Other ideas bouncing around to be included in the space, but man is the risk high but the location could be incredible due to the foot traffic it receives. Just don't know, times are so flaky and a few of the arcade spots here have closed up their extra locations or relocated to high traffic spots. If they had the pockets to research the market then it may not be a good idea to attempt near their old turf.
    Seeing as I'm quoting a post from 5 months ago, did you guys ever try anything to run an arcade?

I'm on my way to obtaining my first arcade machine, a Tempest that's been sitting in the attic of my church for 20+ years now, hopefully in a few weeks I'll have it moved out and into my house, then I'll take pictures and post them in here

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

This thread reminds me that I need to take some more recent pictures of my few games as well as update the information pages at my website.

My issue is I don't have any space but that's the issue no matter the size of your location in this hobby. Really though, I'm pushing it for the size of my apartment / all the other furniture in here. That was supposed to be resolved at the beginning of the summer with a move planned but that fell through, however to be honest that was probably for the best.

I'll go chronically since, again, I don't have a ton of machines. List first then some pictures.

Pole Position (upright) (few salvageable parts sold, MAME'd then decommissioned)
    Galaxian (cocktail)
    Klax (cabaret)
    Mini Galaga MAME (custom)
    Tetris (board only)
    Sly Spy (board only)

Pole Position upright was purchased for $50.00 and was a smoldering pile of shit, like, literally. The guy I bought it from thought it a good idea to take the back door off and put it in his garage right next to his cat's litter box. It ended up taking a completely thrashed (internally) machine and making it worse. Controls, coin door, glass work, and cabinet (aside from the stench which Atari cabs love to soak up) were all in good shape but almost everything else was totally rotted. Scrapped the monitor and anything else that was headed for the trash. Some parts including the damaged PCB's were sold to people to help them restore their machines. Entire cabinet was gutted and scrubbed down, sanded, scrubbed down, painted - essentially restored. The vinyl on the sides was in decent shape so it was left alone but I removed the bottom inch or so due to peeling. Over the course of a couple months I converted it to MAME without doing any external modifications. I kept it tight and cheap, using a mouse for all control inputs (steering, shift hi, accelerator on/off) and a little keyboard hack for the coin mech.

The one thing I kick myself for not doing was keeping a detailed measurement set or template for this...

Yeah, I made an entirely new monitor shroud for the original monitor size and never documented it. Sorry PP owners of the world! The cabinet was a lot of fun but after a couple years of playing a simulated Pole Position (as well as PPII, Indy Heat, Championship Sprint, etc.) I started to desire the pain in the ass task of keeping up with an original machine. That and the cabinet is bulky as all get out. So I stripped it once again, put the control surfaces in storage and the glass is hanging on the wall. Anyone want a COMPLETELY empty Pole Position cabinet for free? It's in the central valley and I'll be down there in October to help load it. Seriously.

Galaxian cocktail table was purchased off the show floor at California Extreme 2008 for $500.00 - yeah, retail price. I don't know what it was but I HAD to have it. It's serial number 0367 and has the early version board with the more difficult gameplay. The invaders shoot in front of them rather than dropping shots behind, effectively leading their target (you). I've done a little work to the machine here and there, removing the security brackets on the coin door, replacing the player 2 control lever, little things. Too bad no one makes a correctly colored reproduction Galaxian cocktail overlay.

I should also mention that if you want to get technical the machine cost me nothing. I sold my mint set of English translated Sailor Moon manga books on eBay to purchase the machine, the entire machine. They sold in a few hours for a Buy It Now. Those same books are on their way to becoming essentially worthless with the manga having a more accurate English re-translation and reprinting that begins this Tuesday (9/13/2011).

Klax cabaret was a grail of mine I was after for a long, long, long time. On the seventh or eighth attempt at purchasing a Klax cabaret machine I finally made the connection and got this one for $225.00 delivered. Pretty damn clean inside and out with the exception of the usual wear from play. The control panel has some cigarette burns and the typical Klax purple to brown fading. Reminds me I was supposed to contact Rich at This Old Game about doing a reproduction of the cabaret panels. The only thing I dread about this machine is the day I have to work on the monitor since I don't see how you'd discharge the monitor before getting it out due to the shape of the cabinet.

A little while later I bought a Tetris board since their control panel layouts are identical. Last month I built a JAMMA extender and now have both boards mounted in the cabinet, swappable through the coin door via a connector swap.

And my pride, a Galaga mini MAME cabinet. Custom cabinet based upon the full size original, roughly 3/5ths full size. I didn't build the cabinet but was awarded it as part of a repair contract. It was running a little plug and play joystick with a TV but I pulled that stuff out and made it into a classic vertical orientation MAME cabinet. It's in storage with my parents and damn I'd love to have it here. That should show how tight space is.

Marquee and bezel rework were done by me.

It actually plays really comfortable if you sit at it, almost like a cocktail table upright.

As for Sly Spy I don't have a cabinet to play it in but the board was a really good deal and I have a marquee and bezel for it as well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    Seeing as I'm quoting a post from 5 months ago, did you guys ever try anything to run an arcade?
    Replying to this nearly 3 years later!

The discussion is still kicked around every few months, more like a thought exercise than anything else. We will point out where some empty store fronts are, work out what the rates would be, then imagine what it takes to cover the minimum overhead. Not to say it's impossible because there are successful venues around here. I do not see it happening, not unless somebody won the lotto and did not mind dumping some of that money into a gaming facility.

A few months ago I sold off a large stock pile of PCBs and artwork/marquees to one person who likely just resell a majority of it, but that's fine because he's better at tracking down the people who need those items to complete restoration work. Here is my current breakdown of machines:

Sold:
    Fighting Vipers
    Police Trainer
    Mata Hari (SS pinball)

In the past year pick-ups:
    pair of Time Crisis II
    pair of Time Crisis III
    two Space Invaders Deluxe
    Super Buster Bros.
    Centipede
    Night Moves (cocktail pinball)
    Code One Dispatch

Owned a good while now:
    pair of Cruis'n Exotica
    X-Men (4-player)
    Arkanoid
    AmeriDarts
    Rygar (in an old Williams cocktail)
    Pac-Man (original cocktail, replaced with an early multi-Pac board)
    Robotron: 2084
    Neo-Geo (red 2-slot)

The Code One Dispatch needs to do something, bought at auction cheap just for the monitor and discovered the Konami Viper board was bad. I tried flashing new chips for the board but did not do the trick. Trying to stay clear of auctions and sellers, I tend to stumble across warehouses of stuff too often.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Genjackson's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    PSN
    guyonthedock_js

Not pictured:
    Q-Bert (dead)
    Major Havoc (flyback toast)
    Playboy pinball
    Joust 2 Player cocktail pinball (needed a LOT of TLC)
    Kiss pinball
    Spy Hunter pinball
    Some of the cabs
    A bunch more NSM and other jukeboxes (all 45s)

Please tell me where you find this many games for $550

Insert Coin (Level 0) theredlineboss's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've accumulated a few machines the last year:

Bloody Wolf in a Taito cab
    Frogger (sans PCB)
    Gorf (was converted to jamma, working on bringing it back to gorf)
    Sega ESwat in a Defender cab
    Williams Tri Zone pinball.

-Rob
    Console Collection:
    TeleGames Super Pong, 2600, 5200, 7800, Jaguar, Intellivision, ColecoVision, TurboGrafx, 3DO, Master System, Genesis/ CD/ 32x, Saturn, Dreamcast, NES, SNES, 64, Gamecube, Wii, PS1, PS2, PS3, Xbox, Xbox 360, Game Gear, Lynx, GB, GBP, GBC, GBA, GBA SP, GBM, DS, 3DS, NGP, NGPC, WonderSwan & PSP

Insert Coin (Level 0) Esquire Fox's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I really want to get more involved with arcade machines, but space is the ever preventative issue.
    That aside, I do have some arcade machines.
    ---

Video Game Arcade Cabinets:

• Dedicated Single Monitor Playchoice 10 w/ the following PCBs installed:

- Super Mario Brothers
    - Super Mario Brothers 2
    - Super Mario Brothers 3
    - Metroid
    - Rescue Rangers
    - Mega Man 3
    - Rockin' Kats
    - The Goonies
    - Nintendo World Cup
    - TMNT 2

Spare PCBs:

- Rygar
    - Tecmo Bowl
    - Dr Mario x2
    - Baseball Stars
    - Mike Tyson's Punch-out!! x2
    - Rescue Rangers

• Space Invaders Part II (Cocktail)
    ---

Pinball Machines:

• Bally Midway's Eight Ball Deluxe (Limited Edition)
    • William's Strato-Flit
    • William's Triple Action
    ---

Other Coin-ops:

• United's Marquise Shuffle Alley
    • Putting Challenge II
    • English Mark Darts
    • Bulova Silverball (Counter Top)
    Last edited by Esquire Fox; 07-04-2012 at 10:13 AM.

Strawberry (Level 2) Shawn Carr2o's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

CPS1 Boards

Captain Commando
    Final Fight

CPS2 Boards

Alien vs Predator
    Armored Warriors
    Dungeons & Dragons: Tower of Doom