Thread: Help ID an unknown AV cable

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    63 Posts

Yeah, I know there are stereo Genesis 2 cables...didn't realize the 3 was only mono. I meant that it sucks for me because I'd rather this cable BE a stereo cable. It looks like the AV port for a Genesis 1 doesn't have stereo on it either. I guess it makes sense to do that when many TV's didn't have stereo inputs, otherwise you'd loose half your audio. I might end up just keeping this to show off the Nomad to TV functionality.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Pear (Level 6) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    There were stereo cables available separately. The mono ones usually came with the 32X or with the Model 3 Genesis. The Model 3 Genesis only outputs in mono so there's no point to using stereo cables with it.
    Well, there's always just having dual mono like splitting the NES audio with a Y adapter, but if it doesn't come with one then yea use a mono cable.

Quote Originally Posted by jb143 View Post
    Yeah, I know there are stereo Genesis 2 cables...didn't realize the 3 was only mono. I meant that it sucks for me because I'd rather this cable BE a stereo cable. It looks like the AV port for a Genesis 1 doesn't have stereo on it either. I guess it makes sense to do that when many TV's didn't have stereo inputs, otherwise you'd loose half your audio. I might end up just keeping this to show off the Nomad to TV functionality.
    Yea it was the late 1980's and TV's were just starting to get two speakers so they opted for the same din connector as the Master System, being that most games were also still in mono at the time. But they thought ahead and added the headphone port in the front for Stereo so you were pretty much set with it.
    "...leave love bleeding, in my hands, in my hands again..."

Reticulating Splines BetaWolf47's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That cable is also for the Genesis 3. I think a mono cable was standard with a Genesis 3, actually.
    Selling gaming accessories. Click