Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Reasons to Buy a PS4 or Xbox One

So I haven't gotten a new gen console yet, although I was seriously debating getting a PS4 with my tax refund. I decided against for a buncha reasons. It seems there's still lotsa games being put out on the 360, which is the console from that gen I own. There isn't a ton out yet for the PS4 yet, and everything's expensive on it, right now. The system, controllers, the games, are all top dollar. And I've heard there's been problems with the servers. Which is typical for a new console, and I know they'll fix them.

It just seems time's on our side for those who haven't bought a new console yet. The price could drop $100 in a year or so, and at that point they'll work out some of the bugs, and there'll be plenty of kickass titles released, and I could even find used copies of these for even cheaper.

So why get now?

I'm just using this time to catch up on a lot of the games I missed last gen, since the prices have gone way down, and I definately didn't play everything I wanted to.

Plus, in terms of graphics, they're never thaaat big of a step up from the previous gen when they first start out. If u look at 360 games or PS3 games released in 2006 or 2007, they don't look that much better then PS2. And u compare them to games of 2012, 2013, the difference is huuge. Look at Halo 3 compared to Halo 4.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arkanoid_Katamari View Post
    So I haven't gotten a new gen console yet, although I was seriously debating getting a PS4 with my tax refund. I decided against for a buncha reasons. It seems there's still lotsa games being put out on the 360, which is the console from that gen I own. There isn't a ton out yet for the PS4 yet, and everything's expensive on it, right now. The system, controllers, the games, are all top dollar. And I've heard there's been problems with the servers. Which is typical for a new console, and I know they'll fix them.

It just seems time's on our side for those who haven't bought a new console yet. The price could drop $100 in a year or so, and at that point they'll work out some of the bugs, and there'll be plenty of kickass titles released, and I could even find used copies of these for even cheaper.

So why get now?

I'm just using this time to catch up on a lot of the games I missed last gen, since the prices have gone way down, and I definately didn't play everything I wanted to.

Plus, in terms of graphics, they're never thaaat big of a step up from the previous gen when they first start out. If u look at 360 games or PS3 games released in 2006 or 2007, they don't look that much better then PS2. And u compare them to games of 2012, 2013, the difference is huuge. Look at Halo 3 compared to Halo 4.
    While I won't dispute many of your points, the flow of new software that's exclusive to the 360 has slowed to a trickle. Indeed, most of what is on the upcoming release schedule is multi-platform stuff that will be released on the PS4 and/or Xbox One, often with higher resolution and a better frame rate. In some cases developers are even using the additional capabilities of the PS4 and Xbox One to push additional enemies or more sophisticated AI on multi-platform games. I have been an early adopter for much of the past decade or so and I don't regret it, but there have been times when new consoles including the PS2, PS3, WiiU and others have sat unused in my home because of a lack of compelling games. Frankly, if you're having to rely on a tax refund to make the purchase, you probably shouldn't be buying anything as impractical as a video game console.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've never been one to get stuff when it just comes out. I've always admired it from afar or played it at other people's houses growing up. There's no use in buying things when they just come out. Focusing on other things and naturally time will pass and you'll be able to buy all the stuff for cheap later down the road. I think you'll have to wait another two years at least to really get a taste of what the PS4 can do anyway.

16-bits, yo Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Wait for a price drop and/or the release of a game you just can't stand not having.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I have both systems right now, and basically I made a good decision and a bad decision. I really had no business buying a XB1 before there was a game I really wanted for it. The PS4 has been worth it, but a lot of that has to do with the fact that it was cheaper, has more horsepower, and another big part of it is Playstation Plus. I already had a PS+ membership, so getting free games each month doesn't suck.

If I had to choose between the two, it's PS4 7 days a week and twice on Sundays. Now, you might think I'm a Sony fanboy, with such comments, but I can assure you that I'm not very concerned with the name on the box. Last Generation, it was the Xbox 360 that was the best overall system, all things concerned. I'm not sure a Sony fanboy would say something like that.

Anyways, the XB1 will have it uses at some point, but right now it seems all the 3rd party games run a bit better on PS4. So, then it comes down to XB1 exclusives. They are going to have Halo 2 Anniversary Edition this November, and they have that Kinect Sports game. I know they have Sunset Overdrive (Insomniac) and Quantum Break (Remedy), but I have a hard time believing either game will see the light of day in 2014. Especially Quantum Break. I seriously doubt we see that game till November 2015. Sunset Overdrive has a slight chance of making it. Halo 5 is 2015. So, besides Kinect sports game and Halo 2, and off course Titanfall in a week or so.

Sony doesn't have a ton of stuff coming either. Uncharted has no chance of coming out this year, imo. They have DriveClub, but that game was already supposed to be out, and what is going on with the development of that game anyways? Infamous is coming soon, but I've heard some mixed feelings about the game from the press that has seen it. I'm hoping it's good, but anything can happen. The Order: 1886 or whatever that game is called, according to Colin Moriarty of IGN, he doesn't think that game is coming this year. So, what the heck does Sony have coming ?

Both systems will get tons of Indy games to fill in the gaps. They will also get smaller downloadable games. There are games like Dying Light and Mad Max and Destiny and Watch Dogs that will be coming later this Summer and into the Fall. You have to figure a couple of those games will be pretty awesome. Also, you know that TONS of shit will be announced at E3. Possibly huge mega games like Fallout 4 or a new Red Dead Redemption.

One thing that is interesting about the Xbox, is that in certain areas, you can buy one on Craigslist for super cheap. I know a couple of people that recently bought a used Xbox One with a couple of games, for like $430 straight up. Of course, you could just get a brand new PS4 for the same thing. But the XB1's, if you're really patient, and you lowball the guy, you can get one with a couple of games, maybe even an extra controller for about $435 or so. Just make sure if you buy a XB1, you don't pay anywhere close to retail. There is too much supply out there of XB1's. You can find them for cheap prices when there are sellers that are desperate for money, and they have an Xbox One. I'm extremely tempted to buy another XB1, because they are going for so cheap!

Chasing the chuckwagon. schnuth's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I just said "screw it" and bought a Wii U bundle on sale. The power of Mario compels me every time. I simply can not resist.