Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Saturn Experts.. USB Pads on Ebay- Genuine??

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm really considering buying one of these. It'd be great for SF IV and other fighters on PS3, and Genesis/MAME emulation on PC.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I bought two of these which were boxed in December. I compared them to my USB Saturn controller I picked up from Lik Sang a few years and found them to be 100% consistent. If they're truly knockoffs, they're the best I've seen. I don't know if these work with Street Fighter IV, but they do with Super Street Fighter II HD for PS3.
    I don't want you to hate me, I want you to want to hate me - GamersUniteMagazine.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I grabbed a single controller off ebay in December too and it's nearly identical to the original USB saturn pads by SLS/Sega pardon the model number. If anything it appears to be a revision or just NOS of the new model that was never sold before.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RCM View Post
    I bought two of these which were boxed in December. I compared them to my USB Saturn controller I picked up from Lik Sang a few years and found them to be 100% consistent. If they're truly knockoffs, they're the best I've seen. I don't know if these work with Street Fighter IV, but they do with Super Street Fighter II HD for PS3.
    A did a quick round or two last night using the pad it worked very well. I'm used to using an arcade stick for my 2D fighters, but would have issue using it for VF5 as I'm used to the Saturn pad for Sega fighters (Fighters Megamix, Fighting Vipers and Virtua Fighter 2).

ServBot (Level 11) Iron Draggon's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I ordered this one just a few days ago myself:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=250376506550

I prolly should've ordered two... these went really fast at this price... most sellers are charging 2 - 3 times this much for them... and they'll prolly be even more expensive by the time SF4 comes out for PC... so at least I'm ready for the single player and online experience with one of these... and it's doubtful that I'll ever have a 2nd player to fight with on my system, so I'm prolly alright with just one, but I would like to get another one soon anyway
    You can't run with the big dogs if you pee like a puppy!

Get BIT!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Here are some threads about this pad: http://forums.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=163928

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Hey gang.

I got mine in today, so I fired up a couple games - Spelunky and a few games in ZSNES 1.51 for Win32. Installing the controller in WinXP took literally three seconds - it was recognized and installed in that time. No calibration needed.

I hadn't used a Saturn pad before, so my very first impression was that the pad and the shoulders were kind of stiff, and the buttons sort of rattle about.

I quickly learned how to use it, though; the first time I tried to pull off a "tough" maneuver in Spelunky (jumping off a block and grabbing the one directly above) I did it no problem. The pad doesn't seem much less accurate than using the arrow keys on a keyboard (plus I don't have to worry about accidentally hitting the Windows key or certain key combinations not working, or some other dang thing).

The shoulder buttons take some getting used to (for some reason I hit the left one less accurately than the right) but they seem to "stick" like they're supposed to - which would be a great asset in Operation Logic Bomb, a game where my original SNES pads fail pretty badly.

The box is not the same black/white one and the simple "CONTROL PAD" on the front, SLS logo (SLS is official Sega-Sammy Logistical Services), and lack of trademark symbols might not inspire confidence. It's the same controller as seen here and in the post above, and while those chaps labeled it a "counterfeit" item, I see no reason to assume such aside from maybe the wierd ABC/XYZ font on the buttons. The fit and finish on this pad (aside from the buttons which rattle if you shake the controller - which you normally shouldn't) is very nice, and it seems to use the same parts as even US Saturn-styled black pads, or the gray pads I've also seen (which is looks the most like).

My seller packed everything in a big bubble mailer, but conscientiously folded the boxes flat and included them as well. The controllers were each wrapped again in bubble, and inside each controller was in its own bag and the cord was twist-tied and bagged as well. I do see a number of very light scratches on the shiny surface of the controller, hardly a deal-breaker when the actual pad feels so solid.

Pushing directly down on the d-pad doesn't let you rock between directions very easily. In the Gamepad Controllers control panel of Windows, this registers as neutral input.

On the whole, it seems like I got a good deal for a good item. I'm pleased.
    Last edited by Ed Oscuro; 05-30-2009 at 06:45 PM. Reason: Edit: better link

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I own one of these bootleg usb pads, a genuine Saturn model 2 pad, and PS2 Saturn pad, and it doesn't feel/work as well as the real thing.

The dpad feels a bit rough when making circular motions, and is not as mushy as the genuine dpad. The shoulder buttons have a lot of resistance and have a loud, hard click. Definitely not as smooth/easy to press as a genuine Saturn pad. The face buttons are also stiff and have that roughness that cheap knockoffs usually have. The engraved A/B/C/X/Y/Z markings on the buttons aren't as deep and well done as on the real pad. The texture also doesn't feel as smooth.

I have also heard from a lot of people that their dpad broke off on the usb pad, which wouldn't surprise me. You can open it up and replace it with a genuine dpad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The funny thing is that I own a knock-off of the american Saturn pad, and it actually works much better than the real thing, even though the build quality isn't very good.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I was going to order one of these USB Saturn pads but I'm still confused about which are legit Sega pads and which are fakes.

This guy looks like he's selling authentic controllers but I don't know for sure. Can anyone tell?

http://cgi.ebay.com/SEGA-Saturn-SS-U...sh=item5631318

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

None of them are legit. You would only be able to buy them back in 2004/2005.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

I picked up two USB Saturn pads a while ago and they still work amazing. I've still convinced that they're genuine due to their outstanding quality. If you guys can find the ones I show here, I highly recommend a pickup.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAbmrpF_bEo
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Satoshi_Matrix View Post
    I picked up two USB Saturn pads a while ago and they still work amazing. I've still convinced that they're genuine due to their outstanding quality. If you guys can find the ones I show here, I highly recommend a pickup.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAbmrpF_bEo
    Those are genuine, there's no reason to doubt it.
    Check out my oldschool game reviews!
    Click Me!

Famicom Pirate Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Saturn came out in like 94, WHY would the controllers be usb driven? Not to be a dick but this is a genuinely stupid question and if you took 2 minutes to do a google search you would have your answer. I believe the only official Saturn USB pads were released for the ps2 in Japan only, and they are also available in the regular plug style and will most likely cost you the soul of your first born...... EDIT: This topic is old as shit.

Quote Originally Posted by bb_hood View Post
    Were black saturn controllers released in Japan? i thought they only got white ones and we got black ones.
    Grey, White, Black, Clear Smoke, and Clear blue I can think of off the top of my head were controller colors released in Japan, to correspond with the matching colored systems. The white saturn was first released as a X-Mas exclusive but was so popular they decided to mass produce it. The Hi-Saturn comes with black controllers as well as they were sold individually.
    Last edited by Parodius Duh!; 12-04-2011 at 09:12 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Parodius Duh! View Post
    I believe the only official Saturn USB pads were released for the ps2 in Japan only, and they are also available in the regular plug style and will most likely cost you the soul of your first born......
    Sega actually released (or authorized) a USB version for PC/Mac to accompany some puzzle game a year or two before the PS2 pads hit.
    AFAIK, the PS2 pads all use the standard controller port.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Parodius Duh! View Post
    Saturn came out in like 94, WHY would the controllers be usb driven? Not to be a dick but this is a genuinely stupid question and if you took 2 minutes to do a google search you would have your answer. I believe the only official Saturn USB pads were released for the ps2 in Japan only, and they are also available in the regular plug style and will most likely cost you the soul of your first born......
    Not to be a dick, but this a genuinely stupid response and if you took two minutes to do a google search you would of been able to give a correct response.

Even though Saturn came out in 94, back in 2009+ they started officially re-releasing the Saturn controllers, just with a USB port.
    Check out my oldschool game reviews!
    Click Me!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Vlcice

Quote Originally Posted by kedawa View Post
    Sega actually released (or authorized) a USB version for PC/Mac to accompany some puzzle game a year or two before the PS2 pads hit.
    AFAIK, the PS2 pads all use the standard controller port.
    It was Puyo Puyo Fever. They released Mac and PC ports in 2004 (Mac came first, if I remember right), both with collectors' editions that included a controller. They also sold just the gamepads around the same time. PS2 controllers, and later USB reissues, came after that. (Way before 2009!)