Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    njiska

Quote Originally Posted by Slimedog
    A few months after I got mine, it started with some sort of motherboard or a/v problem. The power light turned on and there was a flash to the screen, but no boot up. I sent it in and they "fixed" it, but the problem popped up again about a week later. The second time I sent it in, they paid for shipping and sent me back a new unit. So they really showed a good effort and made things right by me. Unlike Microsoft and the POS Xbox, that died twice. I bought my PS2 at launch and have never had any problems with it, in spite of tons of gameplay. But I've heard thats not the norm with the PS2.
    I've said it before and damn it i'll say it again. Nintendo has the best support in the business. Even the guys on the phone are fun to talk to.

MS has normal support, stupid and annoying.

Sony has support that seems to try their hardest to keep you from getting help. Never once have i had a good time talking to them.

Insert Coin (Level 0) ASSEMblerEX's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

From my experience in console repair, the only part to fail on gamecube is the optical mechanisim.

If you open it, it is easily removed and replaced.

Given the gamecube has no warranty stickers over the hole, if you have the correct bit, you can swap the laser off a dead one and return the dead one to the store.

Of course, the moral dilemma I leave for you to decide.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nesmaster
    PSN
    Nesman

had mine since near after launch, no problems

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    strayhellcat

My friend's GameCube broke down after he played Animal Crossing on it for about 5 days straight. After a trip to Nintendo Australia and a few days wait, they gave it back to him good as new, despite him not having a box, receipt or anything else. They rock!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JJNova
    F-Zero would cause first run GameCubes to freeze up and become useless (at least for that game).

i have a "first run" gc and f-zero runs at full speed and no freezes

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Zeno2112

I bought my first and only Cube used for $15 with no hookups and a big "as is" sticker on it. Having successfully fixed a few PS2's I figured I could handle whatever problems a Cube might throw my way. After eventually getting the requisite cables I was $60 invested in the thing and pleasantly surprised to find that it booted up with no problems. But for one and only one DRE which was clearly due to a dirty disc the thing has worked great for nearly a year now .

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I bought a used machine from EB Games. After about a year and a half or so all of a sudden the rumble no longer worked. I bought another controller, thinking that was the problem but still no dice. After asking around it seems a use was blown inside the Cube and it's not user-replacable. Other than that, the sucker works just fine.

I have to agree: Nintendo has excellent phone support. I told a gal what all happened and she checked into everything to see if there was an easy solution (as the machine was out of warranty). She then offered to sell me a Nintendo refurbished unit for $50 plus shipping, which at the time I declined as I didn't have the cash (just bought a house then).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Munchies879

One of my Gamecubes just had a laser go bad....it powers up fine but won't read any discs.

This is the first Nintendo console I've had a problem with.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My son dropped his gamecube twice from about 3 1/2 feet up and nothing happened. Once he dropped it while we were playing Smash Bros. together and the freaking thing kept on playing. I am still awed at the thought of it when it happened.

By the way, what does DRE mean?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

F-Zero would cause first run GameCubes to freeze up and become useless (at least for that game).
    I've never heard of that. My first Gamecube which I picked up at launch ran F-Zero without a hitch.

THE ONE, THE ONLY- RCM
    I don't want you to hate me, I want you to want to hate me - GamersUniteMagazine.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

well ive had no problems with my "used" GC -- but its only had around 2 hours of total play time -- but i treat it like crap -- its gets knocked around and always works when checking new games
    The human operates out of complex superiority demands, self -affirming through ritual, insiting upon a rational need to learn, striving for self-imposed goals, manipulating his environment while he denies his own adaptive abilities, never fully satisfied.
    --Frank Herbert

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

someone asked "what DRE means"

I take it to mean DISC READ ERROR but I could be wrong

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TEXASGAMEPLAYER
    someone asked "what DRE means"

I take it to mean DISC READ ERROR but I could be wrong
    Dammit. I finally had some knowledge to contribute and someone beat me to it!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My GCN's been a little problematic from day one. Whilst it isn't frequent, I do get DRE's occasionally (mostly with F-Zero GX and Burnout). My GCN is an Australian May 2002 launch model.

My PS2 and Xbox have been far less problematic. My PS2 hasn't had a single DRE, and I stick some VERY scratched discs in that thing. Bought my PS2 in December 2002.

Xbox is weird. The day I got it (August 2003), it froze on me, but then worked perfectly ever since. About 6 months ago, it suddenly stopped reading discs entirely. Weird! So I unlplugged it and left it for a while, then reconnected everything and it's worked perfectly ever since!

Strawberry (Level 2) mario2butts's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My friend's gamecube had the fourth controller port go bad, but other than that I've never seen the cube do wrong. The controllers are another matter entirely, at least in my experience. The same friend had one controller's z button go bad, and another friend's controller's analog stick went wonky. And these were first party! So far all my Cube hardware has worked flawlessly, knock on wood...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

mine sometimes has DRE's, sometimes it works fine though. of course, i bought it that way off ebay for like 20 bucks.

also, gamecube won the durability test (or whatever cheesy name they gave it) on X-play they had a while ago. they took a GC, and xbox, and a ps2 and dropped them, hit them with hammers, etc, and gamecube won, with xbox second and os2 last.

it's usually true about first-run systems having crap disc drives, my xbox is a firt-edition and it had a bad drive which crapped out on me a few months ago, luckily i got a better drive for my birthday.

oh, BTW, could someone tell me more about returning gamecubes to nintendo? what kind of stuff do you need to give them? receipt? warranty? i have neither (obviously)

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think there is an episode of X-Play where they beat the hell out of all the consoles, and the GCN ended up surviving everything they dished out.

My Collection:
    users.ign.com/collection/fc3sRX7gxl

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    njiska

Quote Originally Posted by PrototypeFC3S
    I think there is an episode of X-Play where they beat the hell out of all the consoles, and the GCN ended up surviving everything they dished out.
    Yep.

First test was a 50lbs. weight dropped from about a foot high. Xbox lives, GC lives, PS2 deader then the Jaguar.

I think the scond was a sledge hammer blow. Both survived

Third was the 20 foot drop.

The GC survived and the xbox was disqualified because the front hunk with the powerswitch (trust me it's the only part that isn't secured properly in the unit) popped off.

Such fun.