Thread: a question/ challenge for programmers and or 3D artists

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default a question/ challenge for programmers and or 3D artists

I have a problem, and I wonder if anyone proficient in either programming or 3D art would be able to either give me advice on what to do, or actually write a piece of software to do what I'm looking to do.

Here's the deal: I need to find (or commission) software that will allow a fully 3D framework to be rendered in two dimensional form so as to be output through a plotter. This may sound a little confusing, so I'll give you an example of what I need to accomplish with the program:

Say you want to build a cardboard box, four sided. No front or back. You could draw this in 3D, and then have the program "flatten" the box so that the image has been laid out as four rectangles. Such that when you printed it out you could fold along the lines and have your box. Make sense so far?

Now the 1st tricky part: The back of the box is to be cut away at a 45 degree angle, so that when assembled, it will sit at 45 degrees on a flat surface. For a box, you could easily figure the angles manually, but I want it to be automatic, so that you can have your shape intersect a z plane (at some angle other than 90), and everything on one side of the z plane is omitted from the model. Then the remaining model is laid flat and plotted.

The 2nd tricky part: I want to use complex shapes. In the diagram below, I just used a cylinder as an example. But if I were to make a three dimensional "G" (hollow front and back), and want to have the backside at a 22 degree slant, and wanted to be able to "flatten" the model so as to be able to print it, cut along the lines, then fold it up and have a paper version of the 3D model that would sit at 22 degrees when on a flat surface...that's the real challenge here.

Let me give you the diagram, and continue in a minute:

It's just a crude scribble, but you get the idea. The first shape is the simple box, and to the right is what it would look like if printed out "ready to assemble". The 2nd shape has the 45 degree cut across the back, where it intersected our magical z plane that cuts off everything on one side. Again, to the right would be the flat cut out shape of the remaining (solid lines) box.
    The third is a cylinder, and it's shape if cut along a line and laid out flat.

I need something that will allow me to create 3D shapes, cut them at an angle in front and/ or back, and then print out the remaining shape in a flat continuous pattern that can be folded back into it's 3D shape.

CAD software (the ones I'm aware of) does not seem to allow this. I don't know if 3D rendering software will allow a model to be flattened, cardboard style. I don't know much about this, but I would imagine that someone could either point me in the right direction, or program a commissioned (ie; $$) bit of software (maybe based on some existing open source CAD or 3D software?) that could do such a thing.

What do you say?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I remember a program called "deep exploration" that allowed 3d surfaces to be placed on 2d planes.

If i were constructing it, id make a mock up outta paper or posterboard ect, unfold the model, take dimentions, make an illustrator model with these dimentions, and print it out.

lemme know what you think

ServBot (Level 11) WiseSalesman's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

From my basic knowledge of programming (took 2 years of university computer science), this doesn't seem like something that should be very difficult to accomplish, especially if you had a CAD engine to work off of. The old version of AutoCAD I used to use allowed something similar to this, but I don't think it allowed you to disassemble and print the remaining shape after you had placed it on a 3D plane.

I definitely don't knwo enough about programming to ever accept a commission in good conscience, but I think what you're looking for should indeed be possible, and shouldn't even be all that hard to program. Just my two cents.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by XJR15
    I remember a program called "deep exploration" that allowed 3d surfaces to be placed on 2d planes.

If i were constructing it, id make a mock up outta paper or posterboard ect, unfold the model, take dimentions, make an illustrator model with these dimentions, and print it out.

lemme know what you think
    The problem is making the model itself in the first place. Try to make a 2 foot tall letter "G" that is also cut across the back with a 22 degree dihedral. It's no big deal with a box or other simple geometric shape, but when you get into curves and serifs, it's ridiculous. There are other workarounds I can use if I have no other option, but they are extremely time consuming and I'd prefer a software solution, if it exists or can be created.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Can I ask what it is you NEED this for? It seems like an awfully odd and specific set of requirements.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I want to build a script set of letters that will go on an angled building fascia, and the sign companies want a fortune to do it. This is for a small business my younger brother is going to open.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, that makes perfect sense then. Thanks for clearing that up.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Can I ask what material is it going to be made of? If it was a cuttable material, I would make the letter without the 22 degree incline, then cut it on a band saw to proper angle. That would save a lotta time.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

.040 prepainted aluminum sheet.

The letters are going to be about 2 1/2 feet square, so the bandsaw simply isn't an option. Hydraulic bandsaws are no good either. Some have the length, but they pivot on a shaft and cannot open wide enough. Even if one of the hydraulics could open wide enough, those machines are $$$.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

this MAY be possible in solidworks already in the sheetmetal portion of the software package

i have just started to use the software but in the last day of the basic training class the instructor whized by some of the fancier things the software can do (that you can learn buy taking the advanced class)

one of the things he did was draw shapes that would be flatened out into a pattern that you could cut and then bend to get your final shape

if you know someone with acces to this program id recomend checking it out
    The human operates out of complex superiority demands, self -affirming through ritual, insiting upon a rational need to learn, striving for self-imposed goals, manipulating his environment while he denies his own adaptive abilities, never fully satisfied.
    --Frank Herbert