Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    boatofcar

Default Chinese man arrested for "Virtual Mugging" in MMO

http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn7865

A man has been arrested in Japan on suspicion carrying out a virtual mugging spree by using software "bots" to beat up and rob characters in the online computer game Lineage II. The stolen virtual possessions were then exchanged for real cash.

The Chinese exchange student was arrested by police in Kagawa prefecture, southern Japan, the Mainichi Daily News reports.

Several players had their characters beaten and robbed of valuable virtual objects, which could have included the Earring of Wisdom or the Shield of Nightmare. The items were then fenced through a Japanese auction website, according to NCsoft, which makes Lineage II. The assailant was a character controlled by a software bot, rather than a human player, making it unbeatable.

Ren Reynolds, a UK-based computer games consultant and an editor of the gaming research site Terra Nova, says the case highlights the problem of bots in virtual worlds.

Arms race

By performing tasks within a game repetitively or very quickly, bots can easily outplay human-controlled characters, giving unscrupulous players an unfair advantage. Many games firms employ countermeasures to detect this bot activity. For example, they can ask the character questions or present them with an unfamiliar situation and monitor their response.

"There's an ongoing war between people who make bots and games companies," he told New Scientist. "And making real money out of virtual worlds is getting bigger."

Furthermore, the line between virtual and real cash has already disappeared. The game EverQuest, for example, lets players buy and sell virtual items and characters for real money through an authorised online trading site.

Money breeds crime

Reynolds says the growing number of online game players will only increase the incentive for scammers. "There's nothing exceptional about the virtual world," he says. "Wherever there is that sort of money, there's always crime too."

Bruce Schneier, a renowned computer security expert, adds that the distinction between virtual and real crime is rapidly disappearing. He points to recent reports of crooks trying to hack into games or steal players account information to make cash.

"I regularly say that every form of theft and fraud in the real world will eventually be duplicated in cyberspace," Schneier wrote on his weblog. "Perhaps every method of stealing real money will eventually be used to steal imaginary money, too."

There are also reports that some online scammers are using “sweatshops” in countries such as China and Indonesia in which people monitor teams of bots in order to generate money whilst avoiding bot traps.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mightymango

Further proof that the end of the world is near.
    Part of the #Vbender Crew

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Half Japanese
    PSN
    HalfJapanese

More proof for my old theory:

There is no god and the human race is a fungus.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Summer Soldier

Cheaters lose. End of story.
    In a land beyond sight...

Great Puma (Level 12) -hellvin-'s Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This is one of the most hilarious things Ive read in some time. Gotta put a stop to these damn virtual muggers!!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Got a link to the original post? Sounds fishy, and your link doesn't work.
    gamengai
    Best import site on the net.
    My for sale list

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Strictly from definition. Robbery is the forcible taking of ones property (it is implied from the person not a standin/representative or likeness of). Not to be nitpicky, but they would maybe get at best a Larceny charge in the states (not familiar with their laws). They may have no charge at all depending on user agreements language.

Sad state when even playing a recreational video game, fraud or cheating can still kill your experience.

If true, does this make him the Jesse JAmes of lineage II?
    With a humble heart, on bended knee...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Virtual realm is not within the police' jurisdiction. Something tells me there's an awful lot lost in the translation... if it was even reported at Mainichi at all. The link to the English site reporting it is dead. I checked Mainichi's English and Japanese front page -- nothing there. Would really like to see this.
    gamengai
    Best import site on the net.
    My for sale list

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    boatofcar

The page was slashdotted, and is probably past its bandwith limit.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Where were the cyber cops when an invincible, cheating PK-er called BriMonsta killed and robbed me when I took Diablo (1) online back in 1997?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Throughout the article, whenever it said something like 'the virtual mugger would beat up other players,' I couldn't stop thinking of what the muggee's looked like. I guess they would be like Virtual geeks. Or, in other words, geeks to the extreme.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That's bizarre...

If the guy wasn't using a bot, could you claim it was illegal? That's what they seem to be basing it on, but the bot is just a tool to do behavior that's already allowed as part of the game.

Very odd. Japanese people think weird

I'd compare it to Vegas... there it is perfectly legal to take a person's money by beating them in a game, right? As far as I'm aware, it's not ILLEGAL to cheat (I could be wrong) but it will get you kicked out of the establishment and blacklisted from coming back in and you could have your winnings confiscated.