Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Default PSX non-GH to GH games?

In light of the Greatest Hits conver and suggestions:
    http://www.digitpress.com/forum/view...=6240&start=25

A mention comparing prices and rarities between the GH and non would be helpful too- since the GHs wouldn't be as rare and worth a smuch as the nons.

For example FFT is a R1 but it's been mentioned that the GH version is easier to find caus eof a limited run of the non, so wouldn't that bump up the R# least one or two spots?
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Greatest Hits Value

I don't think we can automatically assume that the Greatest Hits version is less "rare" than the original. Think about it for a moment. The original game comes out and is a hit. It's got to sell at least 400,000 copies to qualify for GH status, and it needs to be on the market for 9 months. So, let's say a game sells 500,000 copies. But, by the time 9 months rolls around, most people who wanted it have already purchased the original version. If the original is still selling strong at full price, the publisher isn't likely to bring out a GH version right away (look at the PS2's GTA III as an example). So, more than likely, by the time a publisher releases a GH version, the sales have already peaked and are heading downhill.

I'd therefore venture to guess that many Greatest Hits production runs are smaller than the original production run. Wouldn't that make them rarer than the original?

Again, let's say a game sells 500,000 copies but then reaches its saturation point. Very few people that wanted it are waiting for the lower GH price. The publisher brings out the Greatest Hits version, producing maybe 50,000 to 75,000 units initially. If the game sells well, then the publisher can always go back and produce more to meet the demand. This might happen in some cases, especially if the game received mixed reviews and people are willing to spend $19 but not $49 for it. However, if the game doesn't sell very well, that's the end of it.

For DP guide purposes, it might be difficult to determine the actual GH production numbers, but I think you can make an educated guess. You can look at the NPD TRST charts and see when GH titles made the Top 10 sales list. In addition, a cursory look at most retailers reveals that games such as Crash and Spyro are still readily available in the GH format years after their initial release. So, I think it is safe to say the GH version is not as rare as the original. However, games such as Parasite Eve or Hot Wheels Turbo Racing are not easy to find. The GH version of those titles was probably produced in smaller numbers than the original.

Just my 2 cents...and then some!

Mark