Thread: Do you collect for that 'new game' buzz

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Do you collect for that 'new game' buzz

It's hard to put into words, but...
    When i get a new game (and by new i mean a game I don't have nes,etc.)...I try it out and have alot of fun playing it, but before long I'm trying out another game I recently acquired. And the cycle continues. I'm staring at the last 20 or 30 games i've purchased, and aside from the LAST 2 games I purchased, i really don't feel any motivation to play them. Often, when i do decide to play some other games, it's the same games i've always played...ie i'll fire up a gradius, or smb, or street fighter, or some puzzle game. I'm not talking about current gen, cause if i buy one of those i'm most likely playing it for awhile.

Anyways, collecting is a bit of an addiction, i'd get just as much gameplay with 1/3 of my collection. or maybe i'm just crazy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Re: Do you collect for that 'new game' buzz

I have the same problem, yes.

Need to buy some more Neo Geo AES carts so I'm 'legal,' though!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Fuyukaze008

Neither of you are alone. Over 2/3 of my DC colection is games I picked up planing to play (maybe even finish) and at best have only tested out. It all started with finding a few games cheap. I'd buy all the good cheap games I could find and try a few out, before long I bought more and moved on to the next before I even tried some of the ones from before. When I first got the system I made a poor, poor promise that I'd beat every game I bought for the system. That worked for all 7 of the first games I got for it. Now, nearly 60 games and at best I have finished 20 of them. Sadly the same applies to my SNES and GEN colection though atleast 2/3 of the SNES games I have finished. Whats worse is I could list off well over 1000 games I want for just the systems I have. These aint games I want because of rarity but because I want to play them. One lifetime may not be enough!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    tholly1983
    PSN
    tholly

same here...im always buying new games with the plan to beat them...and sometimes i do invest some time in the them, but pretty soon im moving on to my next game
    Collection Pics--RFGen List--Excel Collection Spreadsheet
    Wii: 6005 4631 6751 2174 -- PS3: tholly -- X360: tholly1983

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hell, I dont even play some of the new games I get before I'm on to buying new ones. I typically will get 5 to 10 in one outing. Test them. Play one or two. Then shelve them and ponder how many shelves it really will take to hold a complete NES collection.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I must say that a whole shelf lined with Neo Geo AES or Mega Drive games looks damn impressive! :D

Shame on Phantasy Star III for having the logo out of alignment.

My problem is that I can't actually GET to them. Especially not now, with one arm in a sling.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sadly, I do. Well, it used to be worse. Remember, I used to pick up games by the handfulls. Fortunately I only buy to play now. But still, I find it hard to contain my anxiousness when a new game comes out and I don't have it yet.

I just bought Donkey Konga today. I could have waited. But I HAD to have it. Though, I did control myself with Pikmin 2. Still haven't gotten it. Hopefully that'll make it more sweeter when I do get it.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

damn i thought i might have been the only one who enjoys finding and purchasing the game sometimes more than i enjoy playing it. ive been trying to cut back on having tons of games just collecting dust , ive started making myself part with some of the things ive gotten by trading them in the Buying and Selling forum on here, so that i can acquire games i will actually use and enjoy, that way the thrill of the find is still there, but then i get to be thrilled all over again when i trade it for something else!
    BLAST AWAY AND GO GO GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by max 330 mega
    damn i thought i might have been the only one who enjoys finding and purchasing the game sometimes more than i enjoy playing it. ive been trying to cut back on having tons of games just collecting dust , ive started making myself part with some of the things ive gotten by trading them in the Buying and Selling forum on here, so that i can acquire games i will actually use and enjoy, that way the thrill of the find is still there, but then i get to be thrilled all over again when i trade it for something else!

Hey that is what I am doing now too. I enjoy the find just as much as the games sometimes. I am still more of a gamer than a collector. So I just keep games that are fun to play.
    Cool people I have bought stuff from on this board: orrimarrko kyosuke75 dave2236 video_game_addict cloudstrife29661 NESCollector75

ServBot (Level 11) Iron Draggon's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hey, I've been that way ever since I started collecting. I almost always start buying games for a new system that I want several months before I actually buy the system itself, so I'll have plenty of games to play on it when I get it. But by the time I do get it, I'm so addicted to buying games and not playing them that I usually just test them to make sure they work and then I'm off to go buy some more new games again, much happier to own than to play. I do play some of them sometimes, but I have about 1500 games total for 12 different systems, so there's no way I could ever play them all anyway. Maybe when I retire I'll finally just play them all, and spend the rest of my life enjoying my golden years by enjoying all the games of gaming's golden ages.
    You can't run with the big dogs if you pee like a puppy!

Get BIT!

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I usually wait till games drop to low prices like $20 or $30 max. When I do actually buy a game for $50 I stick with it. I played SRS for a little while but dropped it ina few days. I played Fight for NY like crazya nd beat it in 3 days. Donkey Konga I am still playing and enjoying.

So when I first buy a new game I really want it. But if the game is rather old and cheap.... I don't play it much.
    Somebody make me a "CGE 2k7 Attendee banner" so I don't have to use this lame text

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Now, I did just get a big lot of SMS games off the 'Bay...what can I say, SCREWED AGAIN!

At this point I'm going to focus down on buying stuff I want from collectors, and I only try to buy games I know are fun (or don't suck, anyway).

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Same exact thing happens to me. I ALWAYS get bored with a game after a while. That's why I just can't play games that are so long. I guess I should be happy Fable's so short, because I'll probably beat it before I get bored.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

ahh gamer guilt "but i dont play all these games i have", if you're a collector just let it go and enjoy collecting! i cant imagine that 8-track, comic book, LP and beenie baby collectors sit around lamenting all of the unplayed/unread items in their collections. theres nothing wrong with just collecting for the love of a well gathered hoarde, lots of people do it other hobbies.
    NEW ENGLAND CLASSIC GAMING-NEXT TRADEMEET pretty soon... IN BOSTON

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Ahh, that's true - puts things right into perspective in a hurry!

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm guilty of this too. I get all excited about a new game I buy and pop it in and I'll play it for a couple of days, and depending on how much I like it, I'll either keep playing it until I beat it or I just put it on my shelf and eventually forget about it.