Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What is the one game/system you never expected to buy?

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Dreamcast. I always thought this thing was trash. Then my dad decided to buy one, one day, so I thought, What the heck. It's another video game system. Well, it was alright. I didn't know of many of the titles back then, so I sold it a while because of non-use. Well, I've recently bought it, knowing a lot of the good titles out there, and I love it.

XBox. I always told myself, never in Hell would I ever buy this piece of crap. I hated the games, I hated the controller, I hated the XBox. Then games like Knights of the Old Republic and stuff came out. I really wanted one. And I got one. And I don't regret it.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Saturn here too.. didn't want it when it was new, and now that it's older the games I'd play are too high to buy. Still ended up getting it from a friend for $10 though.. I'm planning on buying at least Nights so I don't feel like it was a waste.
    <a href="http://www.jeremyred.com/labels/" target="_blank">

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Oscuro
    Quote Originally Posted by Flack
    Phantasy Star online (3 guesses why)
    Excellent offline play? The great soundtrack? Cute ninja robot maids?

...I guess I'm all out of guesses, aren't I?

I would say that's an excellent choice for the system (and yes, I put in 90+ hours offline on a single character) ...
    Sorry, I thought it was more obvious than that. I bought PSO simply to use the LAN game loading hack. I've never actually played PSO.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sega Genesis until a co-worker gave it to me free.

SNES until I got one at Goodwill (bare) for $4 (the cables cost more than the unit!)

Dreamcast until my mother-in-law got one at a yard sale (4 controllers, 16 games) for $25.
    "The big things that...nerds like to argue about might not actually matter that much."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    tholly1983
    PSN
    tholly

i never expected to buy an XBox, and as some of you may know, i was part of the microsoft tribe on the tribe island contest, so i made a complete turn around.

back when i first heard about the xbox, i was very into pc gaming and thought that it was just a weak pc in a box that you can hook up to your tv....i though it wasnt really a console, just a pc that looking like one

but, the i had a ps2 and a gc and said that i needed to have all 3 of the newer systems, if for no other reason, then to just have them, so i picked up my xbox....

after using it for a while, i came to realize that it was an amazing system that had loads of potential. now, i own 3 different colored xboxes and dont regret buying any of them.
    Collection Pics--RFGen List--Excel Collection Spreadsheet
    Wii: 6005 4631 6751 2174 -- PS3: tholly -- X360: tholly1983

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just to start with i wanna say a big waaaassssuuup to all my fellow gaming comrades from all over the world! these boards rock and i will enjoy hangin out with all u guys..........

I will go with the Dreamcast, got one a few weeks ago off eBay, a friend of mine bought one when they first were released and to be honest i wasnt impressed, i was at that time kinda immersed in psx/n64 fever so the dreamcast to me just seemed like a desperate attempt by sega to match the psx (which i guess in a way it was). Ive just started gettin my collection up and running again and thought i should at least give the DC a chance, and, im damn glad i did. Pound for pound (and i know i will probably get flamed to hell for this!) i think it kicks the psx ass! yes the psx has a vastly superior software library but if companies had given the DC the same attention i think we would still be seeing DC games being made today.....

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Gone.
    Last edited by Neonsolid; 07-06-2007 at 07:42 AM.

somewhere between the past and the future
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Dreamcast.

Someone i knew was selling all his game systems in a yard sale (for more than they were actually worth) and i somehow got it in my head that i wanted to own a Dreamcast.

I traded in some Genesis games at a game store and came home with a used Dreamcast system, then later i got Sonic Adventure at EB. SA blew me away because at the time i had never owned anything newer than a PSX and the Dreamcast was a bit beyond what i had imagined.

Well, my Dreamcast was aching for *SOME* game that would make me say "Yup, this is why i blew store credit for this."

Enter Power Stone 2.

Between Power Stone 2, Beats of Rage, & Gauntlet Legends the Dreamcast has finally shown me that it is invaluable.

2nd would be a PSX. Bought it at a yard sale because i wanted to trade it in but couldnt because it was a first model. Kept it because "Need For Speed: High Stakes" was so damn cool.

Possibility is infinity! You must be satisfied!

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces. -The Sizz

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Neonsolid
    i cant believe i would have gotten a worthless gamecube over this.
    Worthless? Hezus Christ, you must be braindead.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Flack
    Sorry, I thought it was more obvious than that. I bought PSO simply to use the LAN game loading hack. I've never actually played PSO.
    Are you serious..? Can't be.

I for one got a few months' play time out of that game offline. Every second was good (well, except for those consumed by running, which is most of the time I must admit).

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Neo Geo AES and Pocket. Got five games for AES and and 8 for pocket. The AES used to be so expensive and so were games.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

System wise, I never thought I would own an Xbox OR Ps2

I won my Ps2 in a raffle

and got the Xbox for my younger bro as a b'day gift ( he does live in the same house as me, so I can play it whenever I want).

Gamecube is still my favoirte, althought I havent played it in a while
    If you have done a deal with me, please let me know asap i want to create a refrences list

"Everyone goes through tragedy."

Pretzel (Level 4) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Duncan1800
    PSN
    Duncan1800

Saturn.

Never had a real reason to own one until a friend at work offered to sell me his Saturn set (including the console, one standard controller, a Stunner gun, Sonic 3D Blast and Virtua Cop 2) for $20.

I figured, what the hell, it's another system, and I like any kind of hardware.

Then I remembered, as I set the thing up, "Oh yeah -- this is the one that has NiGHTS on it!" You see, way back in the day, I remembered fooling around with the Christmas NiGHTS demo at Toys 'R Us and thinking it was a lot of fun -- except that it was on Saturn, and we "only" had an N64.

Then I played Virtua Cop 2. What an awesome shooter, and the big Stunner easily gives that true arcade feeling. (It was only later that I found out what VC2 is worth -- but mine is just a loose disc.) Still haven't picked up NiGHTS, though. It's easy enough to find on eBay, so I'll probably make the leap soon.

Sega Rally is also a fine racer, easily topping (at the time) anything that the PS1 could put out. Until Gran Turismo, that is.

Speaking of which, GT was the game that finally forced me to buy a PlayStation -- I bought one used in 1998 just to play that game. That particular console has since been traded in for a PSone -- and now a PS2, which I have purchased almost solely to play GT4 on when it arrives this winter. History repeats itself.

Lynx was another "no-way-in-hell" one for me, considering I had never even seen a Lynx in the flesh. That is, until that fateful day at the flea market when I picked one up (with California Games, even!) for three dollars.
    Active systems owned: Wii, X360, PS3
    Inactive systems owned: RCA, INTV2, NES, SMS, Genesis, Lynx, SNES, Saturn, PS1, GBC, DC, PS2, GBA, Xbox, GC, PSP, DS
    Systems wanted: Coleco, 7800, TG16, GG, 3DS, Vita, WiiU