1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    nildem
    PSN
    nildem
    Steam
    nildem

Default Commodore Plus/4 Questions

I've had one of these stored away under my bed for the past couple of years, and I was wondering if there was any point to keeping it around?

It's part of the Commodore 16 family, correct? Does it play the same games? Are any of them worthwhile?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Use?

The use? Mainly to collect. Really only about 4 or 6 cartridge games released for +4/16, making it more useful to have a C64 to play 200 carts and thousands of disc games. Please Commies, correct me if I'm wrong, but C16/+4 carts should work on a C64. I like having a +4 and a C16 to round out a Commodore basic hardware collection. I'll never have one set up for routine use, like I will a C64.

I notice most 'retro' questions get little response these days. The board has a real slant towards neo- stuff. So I try to respond on any questions like this to keep them alive.

ian

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Default Re: Use?

Quote Originally Posted by ianoid
    The use? Mainly to collect. Really only about 4 or 6 cartridge games released for +4/16, making it more useful to have a C64 to play 200 carts and thousands of disc games. Please Commies, correct me if I'm wrong, but C16/+4 carts should work on a C64. I like having a +4 and a C16 to round out a Commodore basic hardware collection. I'll never have one set up for routine use, like I will a C64.

I notice most 'retro' questions get little response these days. The board has a real slant towards neo- stuff. So I try to respond on any questions like this to keep them alive.

ian
    The Plus/4 is not compatible with the C64. Internally, the Plus/4 had much more in common with the C16 than the C64. It only had 16k of internal RAM which severely limited the amount of games that would run on it. It's selling point was that it had business applications built into it, but that's kind of why it failed, too -- the apps weren't good, and the games weren't good.

I know it had unique joystick ports and a lot of other proprietary hardware as well. Like the C16, I'd say hang on to it if you're a Commodore collector, but for gaming I'd say box that bad boy up and get a '64 hooked up!

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Use?

Quote Originally Posted by ianoid
    I notice that too, but i can't help you on this topic 'cause i don't collect for the commie stuff.
    Oh eBay! you are such a pain, I am addicted to you like crack cocaine. You offer things I cannot find in stores,You are the pimp, and we are all your whores.