Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need Help! FINALLY organizing my collection

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default ideas

first off... i'm wondering what fields you guys use with access. i'm thinking about an access database before my collection gets any bigger. i tried it out once and got annoyed and forgot about it till now.

as for storage solutions...

those 5000 count boxes are the best!!! i have modifyed them to suit every type of cartridge there is. the space efficiency is awesome. the coleco carts are wider but i pop out the separators (which are folded in 2) and i cut them down the middle. making them only one layer of cardboard makes them perfecto for the coleco carts. you can pop the separators out and create slots in the box to fit just about every cart there is. nes carts are a little tall for the box but it's ok. the lid sits on top of the carts and protects them.

my favorite shelving solution is laminate flooring. oh yeah! those floor boards make awesome shelves. i bought boxes of 7 boards for $10 each at the hardware store. that's $1.50 per shelf. each one is already 7 feet long and 8 inches wide and has a nice finish. if you need them wider, (for systems) just glue (or click) 2 boards together and cut to size. BTW, use shelf standards spaced 16 inches apart to put them on the wall. they look great and they look even better if you paint the exposed edge and sand the corners round. by gluing or clciking them together you can customize it to whatever size you want, length or width, as long as you have a saw to cut it down to size. they are thin which saves space but are still very strong because, after all, it's flooring and flooring is made to take a serious beating. anyhow video games and systems are so light that you can pack them on and the boards won't bend. if you're making wider 15 foot long shelves, stagger them just like you're doing the floor with them. you can do so much with cheap laminate flooring.
    try it. it rocks!
    THE VIDEO GAME SHOW!!!
    Buy, Sell, Trade, Brag!
    Sunday, August 22, 2004.
    www.thevideogameshow.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by ghsqb
    Furthermore, as far as tracking your collection, check out Cart Commander here:http://www.arcaderestoration.com/ind...DATA=10&CBT=20
    Wow! I didn't know somebody had created this but I was hoping I'd see it someday. I like lists. :D

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    RottenToTheGore
    PSN
    TheSuperSadist

I haven't used Cart Commander before, but does it look up games for you or do you have to type them in yourself?

I've been using Collectorz.com's Game Collector for awhile and it looks up games in a database... quick and easy

...god, I really do sound like an ad for this program
    Quote Originally Posted by Oobgarm
    Hello VACRMH, you have just received 666 Meseta from Oobgarm.
    The following comment was made: HAIL SATAN

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If anyone needs an Access database for a few systems let me know and I'll send over what I have to you. Just let me know the systems you want and if I have them I'll send them over. I have been using Access for a few years and there is one nice thing it does that as far as I know Cart Commander will not do - export to a format that my Palm can easily use.
    Alan

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Anyone else tried this Electronic Game Organizer program. It works great!

http://www.gamersgraveyard.com/repos...egm/index.html

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by hydr0x
    btw there are IKEA's in the US???? since when?? i thought they only had stores in europe
    'Semi-disposable Swedish furniture' was referenced in Douglas Coupland's book Generation X, so I assume they've been there since at least 1991.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dragoon
    Anyone else tried this Electronic Game Organizer program. It works great!

http://www.gamersgraveyard.com/repos...egm/index.html
    It looks OK. This quote from the site made me reconsider.

EGM is more or less an abandoned project, partially because of limited time, and partially I feel EGM is no longer adequate for my needs, and needs to be completely rewritten. EGM 0.0500 is probably the last version. EGM does work reasonably well, and I still use it for my collection, but there are probably some leftover bugs here and there, and some features never completed. The serious bugs should have been fixed now, and some may still find this useful. If you really like the program, and for some strange reason want to see new versions, drop me a note and I will consider it. It might be quite a while before that happens, if I decide to do so.

Anyway I used to have an excel spreadsheet and did my own values based on an eBay average which is where I sell my games if I have to. I can't access that file because my old computer is fried and I haven't gotten around to testing the HD. I'm going back in time to the stone age and use a combination of book and a checklist from this site.