View Poll Results: Which system was the bigger abomination?

Voters
66. You may not vote on this poll
  • The Jag sucked so freaking bad, even worse then the 32X

30 45.45%
  • No way, the 32X was a total piece of crap. Complete Shite mate!

36 54.55%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Jaguar or 32X, which is more pathetic?

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Do other Aliens or AvP titles have music? Certainly! And if it was the only Jag game missing music, I might accept this premise. As such, it's simply another example in a series. AvP was delayed quite a bit, and maybe this was the compromise they had to acceopt to get the game to shelves in a playable fashion, reasonably soon.
    The problem with your theory here is that Jaguar AvP is the First game in the FPS series of Alien games. Alien Trilogy came second, and the PC games obviously were much later.It's not like we're talking about a sequel to a long running series up to that point, its the First one! It's not fair to compare it to later titles and point out shortcomings, or your percieved shortcomings. Think about something for a second, take a look at ID softwares two FPS games, Wolf3D and Doom, one has music, one doesn't. Now obviously ID knows how to put music and sfx during gameplay, as proven with their first game Wolf3D, and the game ran perfect, some say even better than the PC version. Then Doom, apparantly having music in game caused the network mode to crash, so they left it out. These two games are virtually identical,and then you have the even more advanced AvP, which actually set a high point in the genre at the time of release. I just don't believe that a company that can develop a game with this kind of quality, more advanced than its predecessors, left music out of it for any other reason than for artistic purposes. If the game was very amateur and really poorly made, I might believe your theory, but the game really comes alive without it. It would also help your case if Jaguar AvP was like the 3rd installment of the series, or if it was a port of the game from another system, but its not, it is a unique game.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Wavelflack
    You'll forgive me if I don't spend extra time making points explicit to the point of redundancy. I think most people took what I wrote precisely the way I intended it.
    It wouldn't have been redundant if you had just said it in your first post rather than ranting on and on about how I'm not really hearing sound effects and music at the same time on the Jag because the hardware is being tricked into doing it somehow.
    \\ : NUON-Dome : / "The place to go for all things NUON." - Edge Magazine

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

32X bad.

But the Jaguar was stuck with the (grrr!) Tramiels.

That settled it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

the 32x was an add on period, you had to have a Genesis in order for the thing to work, it was not a stand alone system, now maybe if Sega would have release the neptune or something, anway.
    The Jaguar was actually a 16-bit system, it had dual 16-bit graphics processors and a 64-bit bandwith, but all this means nothing if a system is designed like a cheap volvo, it just wasnt built right.
    Imoa the Jaguar was the bigger failure because it was the end of atari and had maybe 4 great games,and the Jag controller was just awful.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Both are pretty bad in terms that there were very few good unique games released for them. I have a worse taste in my mouth for the 32X though since I actually paid full price for it.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I only paid $20 for my new 32X with Star Wars and $10 for a new Shadow Squadron. Best $30 I ever spent on videogame stuff. I never had a problem with my 32X flaking out and never had a problem hooking it up. You just follow the instructions. If you just hook it up and leave it hooked up, you shouldn't have problems. If you're unhooking it every time you want to play a Genny game, as some mistakenly believe you need to do, then that's extra unnecessary wear and tear. I just wish DarXide came out here.

The Jag has a handful of really good games, though most are just Amiga ports. The Amiga ports like Cannon Fodder, Syndicate, Theme Park etc. aren't bad games at all but they sure don't take advantage of the custom hardware. None are as polished as games Sega made for the 32X. After playing the better Jaguar games it was really hard to go back to the Genesis. I just wish Atari had gotten even a couple big names(Konami, Capcom) to develop even one 2D game on the system. I don't understand how people have a problem with the Jag pad but never complain about the NES pad. That rectangle was ergonomic?

AFAIK the reason that Jag DOOM has no in game music, just between levels, has to do with the fact that Id didn't really optimize the PC game for the Jag at all. They just got it up and running and called it a day. The Jag uses a MOD player for music, like the Amiga. The music you hear between levels aren't MODs. They're just the MIDI files from the PC version. That's why they sound so tweezy-twerpy. The Wolf 3D music blows it away.

I'd say neither are pathetic. I'd rather play either of these over some highly regarded classic systems that don't do much for me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

No matter what anyone says, the Jaguar is a cool system. Sure, it didn't live up to what it could have been, but there are some damn cool games for it:

BattleMorph (CD) - Many worlds to explore in this exciting space game.
    Iron Soldier - My favorite game type - 1st-person perspective combat.
    Iron Soldier II (CD) - Just as good as the original.
    Missile Command 3D - The virtual mode is breathtaking!
    Rayman - Cute side-scrolling game that is a blast to play.
    Tempest 2000 - The original remake of the arcade classic!
    plus others that I really like....

Sure, more modern systems beat the crap out of it, but then again, they are newer systems. During it's time, the Jaguar was pretty good (in my opinion). It just didn't have a large enough software library to keep it going.

Besides, if the Jaguar trully sucked, then why are people still making games for it!
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    "I seek strength, not to be greater than by brother, but to fight my greatest enemy - myself!"
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    Ozyr's Odyssey2 Archive!

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ozyr
    Besides, if the Jaguar trully sucked, then why are people still making games for it!
    Because there's a group of rabid Atari fans who will purchase them, in the face of all logic and reason.

-- Z.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by zmweasel
    Quote Originally Posted by ozyr
    Because there's a group of rabid Atari fans who will purchase them, in the face of all logic and reason.

-- Z.
    Hey Now, waitadarnminute, I resemble that comment!
    "A 'Radical Centrist' ??? Isn't that like being a Take-No-Prisoners Pussy? " - Stephen Colbert
    My Resume
    My Blog